The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 155 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#72342 - 01/29/05 07:07 PM Significance of (Sleeping) Dreams
Prill Offline

Loc: Connecticut
TVC15— I don’t know about you, but my environment affects my creative output, not to mention how I feel about my day-to-day life. My husband would be happy living anywhere, but I’m much more sensitive to my surroundings. I’ve lived in Colorado, Georgia, Virginia (suburban DC), Massachusetts, Upstate New York, Maine (summers), and Connecticut. Everywhere I go, I soak up the culture and let it texture my life. But my heart sings more in some places than in others. Where I live now—an hour from New York City and a mile from Long Island Sound—inspires me to hit the high notes. I love this place!

Smile— Sounds like you’re in the right place at the right time doing the right thing. [Big Grin]

Here’s a new topic: The Significance of (Sleeping) Dreams

Last night I dreamed I held a wild tiger in my arms and tamed it with my love. Don’t have a clue what the dream meant on a symbolic level, but I woke up with such a sweet feeling. It’s almost as if I were holding myself rather than the tiger.

Throughout the writing and promoting of my book, my dreams have played a critical role in both guiding and empowering me. I’ve had more than a dozen flying/levitation dreams and several magical dreams about animals. I dreamed of a wolf, the experience of which I recount in the book, a black dog, a fluorescent green owl, twin iguanas (this was a lucid dream—a dream where I was conscious of dreaming), and a crow. From each of these animal dreams—with the exception of last night’s tiger—I awoke with a crystal clear understanding of their significance.

I highly recommend keeping a dream journal by your bed to write down the ones you remember.

#72343 - 02/01/05 11:40 AM Re: Significance of (Sleeping) Dreams
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Prill, I've recorded many of my dreams. I'm sending you one via PM and hope that the formatting doesn't get too mucked up in this small dialogue box.

#72344 - 02/01/05 05:30 PM Re: Significance of (Sleeping) Dreams
Pam Kimmell Offline

Loc: Warrenton, Virginia
Prill, I've always thought that dreams were "messages" and keeping a journal can certainly provide clues over time to what the messages may be. Some messages are more "obvious" others more "symbolic" - but I think if we try, we can usually GET IT as they say.

On another note....I haven't posted much this month in this particular area of the forum - mostly because all the other ladies had such GREAT questions and you answered everything that I would have asked so I just "watched". But I did want to say that having you here has been wonderful. Your humor, insight, willingness to share have been inspirational as is your book. I still keep my copy on my bedside table because I find the stories uplifting and encouraging. I feel like I'm "defying gravity" in many ways, every day as I take this journey through midlife. Your book illustrated the awesome power of determination and also proved to me that we women are capable of ANYTHING we set our minds to regardless of our age or circumstance.

Hugs to you! [Wink]

#72345 - 02/01/05 07:09 PM Re: Significance of (Sleeping) Dreams
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Prill,
I have my trusty pen and paper by my bedside table. Next time I wake and remember a dream, I will be sure to record it. I lucid dream a lot and can fly in any dream that calls for it, I just run and jump. Hmmm....
You have given us another avenue to finding guidance and power, while we sleep. That'll work for me. I was wondering how I was going to fill that idle time anyhow. Now I can sleep AND dream with this awareness factor.
Take good care of yourself out there and remember, we are just a screen away.
Stay safe,

chickadee

#72346 - 02/02/05 08:04 AM Re: Significance of (Sleeping) Dreams
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Prill, I don't mean to put a damper on this topic, but I can't go there with my dreams. First, I rarely dream. Almost never, that I'm aware of. I sleep like a dog and always have. [Big Grin]

Also, I don't want to put the pressure on myself to awaken and write my dreams. It's too disruptive. I like sleeping too much.

This topic came up at prayer group some time ago. A friend was taking a class in seminary about finding spirituality in dreams. I had the same response then.

I guess I'm just a load!

#72347 - 02/01/05 09:23 PM Re: Significance of (Sleeping) Dreams
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
This will sound so horrible but I hate to dream! I pray before falling asleep every night that I won't dream, an impossible request no doubt.

I have weird dreams but I also get answers to problems in my dreams, which wake me and I sit up straight, full of realization. Hard to fall asleep after that happens. I'd like to be like Dotsie, just rarely dream and sleep like a log. If only....

#72348 - 02/02/05 12:41 AM Re: Significance of (Sleeping) Dreams
Dian Offline

Loc: Moundsville, WV
I dream all the time, and some are very bizzare. I woke this morning after dreaming of my brother, 6'4, who had to serve jail time for something he did at a circus? When he got out, he then returned to the circus to work there as an acrobat. Now, if you only could see my brother... I didn't know whether to laugh or laugh harder.

#72349 - 02/02/05 05:08 AM Re: Significance of (Sleeping) Dreams
Prill Offline

Hi everyone!

I've been in NYC all day and just got home. I'm tired and need to recharge before I sit down to respond to all your wonderful comments.

By the way, the person I was visiting in the city is an 87 year old woman named Annie. She's probably the most honest person I've ever met, but her words don't sting. She a sweetie. We sang show tunes and had a far-ranging, fascinating (for me) conversation. Both her mind and body are still going strong. She's so alive. Wish you could all meet her.

#72350 - 02/02/05 05:16 AM Re: Significance of (Sleeping) Dreams
Pam Kimmell Offline

Loc: Warrenton, Virginia
Prill, Annie sounds like the grandma I never had.....I always imagined when I was a little girl hving someone like that in my life that I could enjoy and learn from; both my Mom and Dad lost their parents before I was old enough to remember them.

I'm sure spending time with her is good for BOTH of you!

#72351 - 02/02/05 09:46 AM Re: Significance of (Sleeping) Dreams
Prill Offline

Uh oh! I've got a feeling that this is going to be another one of my long posts. [Roll Eyes]

Meredith & Maggie-- Thank you so much for your private messages. I sent both of you private replies.

Pam-- I was thinking the exact same thing today. My dad's father died when my dad was five; my mom's mother died when my mom was in her early 20's. I didn't know any of my grandparents. (I've always been intensely curious about all four of them, but especially those two.) Anyway, you're so right that spending time with Annie was good for both of us. What a role model she is!

Now...about dreaming.

Dreaming is such a personal thing. Who am I to tell people that they should enjoy it. So, Dianne, revel in your hate! [Big Grin]

Dotsie-- My husband, like you, used to say he didn't dream; but we all have several dreams every single night. It's part of our biology. Scientists have a lot of theories as to why, but no one knows for sure.

I finally convinced my husband to try and remember his dreams. I had him jot down anything he recalled about them first thing in the morning before he lost the fragile threads. We've got a pad of paper on our nightstand, and he just writes down a few words. To his surprise, he discovered that he was, in fact, dreaming. I can't claim that he finds his dreams particularly therapeutic, but he enjoys them.

That said, I completely understand your desire to get every last wink of sleep you can and not wanting to feel any pressure about dreaming. I practice recalling mine because, for me, it's helpful and fun. If it weren't, I wouldn't.

Dian-- I'm glad you're laughing.

Chickadee-- Speaking of laughter, your postings always make me chuckle. [Smile] And, speaking of lucid dreaming, here's a recent lucid dream I shared in my private reply to Meredith:

I don't remember how the dream started, but all of a sudden I became lucid and realized I was dreaming. I thought to myself, "Well, since I'm dreaming and can do anything I want, I think I'll fly to the moon and see how Earth looks these days." With that thought, I took flight Superman-style. The first thing I did once I was airborne was to look at the ground beneath me. I was traveling over some cordoroy-striped fields of alfalfa and thought to myself, "Wow. Those fields aren't real. This is a dream. Can you believe the glorious pictures my imagination is capable of creating? Then, I started slipping out of lucidity and little creatures started nibbling at my feet as I was flying. They felt like small rats, and the dream started to become a nightmare. But then I caught myself and realized I was still dreaming. The rats immediately turned into balls of fur with no teeth. Their nips now tickled rather than terrified me. I started laughing. Then, I noticed out of the corner of my eye three fighter jets coming to shoot me down, presumably concluding I was some type of UFO. But this time, knowing I was dreaming, I didn't even have a moment of fear. I just started dodging the jets, as if I were playing some no-stakes game. As soon as I began doing this, the jets disappeared. Then I took off for the moon and the stars. I woke up feeling so playful, so free.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved