The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 163 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 20 of 22 < 1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 >
Topic Options
#72321 - 02/05/05 10:35 AM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
Prill Offline

Loc: Connecticut
You're so right, Pam. In 7th grade, my friend Kathy K. said to me: "You know our looks are going to fade over time, so we need to start cultivating our inner beauty." Wise girl, eh? I've always remembered her words.

Here's an interesting exercise. Look at your high school annual. Aren't there people in it that look gorgeous in their photos who you never thought of as beautiful? And vice versa.

We are not two-dimensional beings. Real-life beauty, as opposed to cover girl beauty, is not a matter of nose shape and dress size. It's a quality that eminates from within.

On another note...

I'm participating in a "Creative Abundance" workshop this weekend that two of my dear friends are leading. Since I'm in the process of designing a "Defying Gravity" workshop, I thought it would be fruitful to experience a workshop from a student's perspective, to be on the other side for a change. On Sunday afternoon, I'm also scheduled to speak. Should be fun.

In other words, I probably won't have a chance to check into the forum during the daytime, but I should be back here both evenings, hopefully with some thoughts to share. [Wink]

#72322 - 02/05/05 07:31 PM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
Sherri Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois
Thanks Prill and all of my boomer friends. I should have read my post and saved it for the next morning to read again before I posted it!! What a whiner!! I was not looking for pats on the back and praises (although they did make me feel better), I was expressing myself as I honestly felt at that moment.

I am doing better, even have a little itch to write again. (Why do we have to go through those slow times?)

THanks to all of you for your love and support. I appreciate every single one of you and love you all.

Sherri

#72323 - 02/06/05 08:16 AM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Seems like we all need to express those self doubts once in a while. And if we get a little positive feedback it can help us to get ourselves going again.
Hang in there Sheri. You're doing fine.
smile

#72324 - 02/05/05 09:06 PM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
Sherri Offline

Loc: Decatur, Illinois
Thanks Smile

#72325 - 02/05/05 10:33 PM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
quote:
Originally posted by Pam Kimmell:
but we need to remember (and it's not easy when staring in a mirror) that INNER beauty is so much more "attractive" to people - outer beauty fades.
[Wink]

Maybe that's why all of us boomer women are focusing more on wisdom than beauty. We know what we're up against! [Razz]

#72326 - 02/06/05 03:57 AM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
Prill Offline

Smile--

quote:
Seems like we all need to express those self doubts once in a while. And if we get a little positive feedback it can help us to get ourselves going again.
I agree!

I'm for aything that prevents us from wallowing in self-pity and over-indulging in self-doubt. Another aspect to this is that when we voice our insecurities, it helps others feel less alone in theirs--more connected to the human community.

Dotsie-- I've seen your picture--I can't remember where--and you're pretty darn beautiful. Hope you know that. [Wink]

#72327 - 02/07/05 08:48 AM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
Prill Offline

Hi everyone!

What a pleasure—and honor—to have spent this month with you.

Dotsie, I can’t thank you enough for inviting me and then regularly fertilizing the conversation. Thanks also to every one of you who posted, as well as those of you who didn’t. Can you imagine all of us in one room together? Watch out world!

JJ-- Remember how I said I’d send you a ticket to come visit me if my book becomes a runaway best seller? I meant it. Maybe I should invite everyone to come along. Wouldn’t that be wild? [Big Grin]

As the Featured Author these past four weeks, I hope that our discussion has stirred something inside each of you and prompted you to ask yourself, “Am I the person I aspire to be? Have I designed the life I truly want?”

If the answer is “yes”—and for some of you it clearly is—I applaud you and encourage you to share your story with others. If the answer is no, it’s not too late to make a shift. As my friend Scarlett said to me an hour ago, “We’re living longer; we can reach for longer dreams.”

I truly believe that each of us must forge our own way. But if you feel stuck in your life, here’s an exercise from the workshop I attended this past weekend. You may find it helpful; you may not. If you’ve read my book, you’ll see that it’s reminiscent of the exercise that catalyzed my writing career five years ago.

Begin by asking yourself: “In my wildest, most far-out dreams, what would I like to do with the rest of my life?” Don’t worry about how much money, education, or time your goals will take to accomplish. Don’t worry about how old you are now. Don’t censor yourself at all.

Now imagine that you’re ninety and that you have in fact accomplished those dreams. Writing in the present tense, list at least 10 of the things you’ve done, created, manifested, etc.

Here are the first four of the ten items I put on my own (dream) list yesterday:

1) I am a radiant being that uplifts people wherever I go.
2) I raised compassionate, responsible, and successful children—happy with their choices and financially independent.
3) I wrote several best-selling books, each more truthful and powerful than the one that preceded it. I sold my work without selling my soul.
4) I envisioned and created my dream life of writing, public speaking and teaching interspersed with extended periods of reflection and play.

I’m not there yet, but you just wait. J

I was watching the Super Bowl this evening and am reminded of something I read in the NY Times today about Tom Brady. Supposedly, Brady’s sports psychologist taught Brady to take responsibility for his actions and forget about the factors he couldn’t control. A winning strategy! I can’t control whether my book will be a best seller or whether my children will be successful. But I can take responsibility for my choices, my effort, and my attitude. And step by step, I can walk towards my dreams.

Author Gail Godwin in her novel Evensong says, “Something’s your vocation if it keeps making more of you.” That’s what Defying Gravity has done—and is still doing—for me. I don’t want to presume that you’re looking for a vocation, so I’ll simply wish you boundless joy and all the best.

Smooches, hugs and much, much love.

#72328 - 02/07/05 04:04 PM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
unique Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Prill, it was great having you here. Re: "all of us in one room together..." I had taken it a step further and had been thinking it was a good thing we all didn't live in the same state. We'd soon end up owning the world!! That much Boomer power concentrated in one area would be an awesome thing to behold. With the 300+ of us who are members of this forum -- well that's enough to staff a small country, isn't it?!!

#72329 - 02/07/05 06:15 PM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Prill,
The honor has been all ours. You provided us with so much insight and inspiration. How can we thank you? Your book holds a prominate place in my home, and so will your next three or four.

Love you to pieces....can't wait to meet you in October!

p.s. I just have to ask...Dotsie regularly FERTILIZED the conversation? hahah...okay, I'll be nice...heheteeheehaha....whaohooo....

#72330 - 02/07/05 06:38 PM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
unique Offline

Loc: North Carolina
...with MiricleGrow(TM) jawjaw, not the other stuff... [Razz]

Page 20 of 22 < 1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 22 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved