The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 173 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 17 of 22 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 21 22 >
Topic Options
#72291 - 01/31/05 02:30 AM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Thistle, you'll be the best speaker there. Youa re speaking about something you're passionate about and that makes all the difference in the world. You go girl! I'm so proud of you for stepping out and making a difference in your second career.

#72292 - 01/31/05 02:39 AM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Prill, I can't help but keep going back to your book. Here are a few sentences that spoke to me:

My first husband died when I was forty-eight. That's really when my life began. Up until then, I didn't know myself very well.

Until that time she probably didn't have time to consider who she was.

I'm really psyched about women who are finding themsleves at midlife. Until this point we've been so busy caring for our spouses, children, and other family members. In addition, we've worked and volunteered like there's no tomorrow.

Finally at midlife we are finding time to pause and consider what truly makes us tick. Many of us finished school, started work, had children, and haven't stopped yet. Now that we have a second to breathe and be alone with ourselves we can get to the core of who we are and what we are being called to do with the rest of our lives. I find it very invigorating.

#72293 - 01/31/05 08:15 AM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
Prill Offline

Loc: Connecticut
Thistle-- When you put yourself out there the way you are, you're not only helping yourself to stretch and grow; you're also helping the rest of us by being an example. [Cool]

Dotsie-- You're right about Jane Work, the woman you reference. In her own words, she told me exactly what you imagined--that until midlife, she really didn't have much time to consider who she was and to pay attention to her inner voice. Her life revolved around her husband's and children's needs and wants. I found it fascinating that as soon as her husband died and she enrolled at Case Western University, she went from being a self-described conservative housewife to a liberal feminist. She's a hoot. Now 87, she's as fiery as ever. This morning, I spoke with her son. He leans as far to the right as his mom leans to the left. (Or at least, this is the impression I get.) But despite their political and religious differences, they're each other's biggest fans.

I said previously that I didn't feel I had the mental space to write until my kids left home. Part of this is that I was not only working and raising kids, but I was volunteering in the community as well. As a matter of fact, when I left teaching to pursue my writing passion, one of my biggest fears was whether I could emotionally handle not being on some kind of schedule. It seemed like I'd been booked since I started nursery school at age four. That's a bit of an exaggeration, but not much of one. If I wasn't working or volunteering, I was chauffeuring kids around. But I gradually came to understand the danger in being busy all the time. So despite my trepidation, I was ready to take a journey to myself and exhilarated by the opportunity to design my days however I wanted. It's been an on-going discovery process.

The bottom line: Like you, Dotsie, I'm obviously psyched about women coming into their own in midlife. And there's more and more of us doing it. [Big Grin]

#72294 - 01/31/05 09:22 AM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
Erica Miner Offline

Loc: Southern CA
Dear Prill,

I just wanted to congratulate you on being a stellar featured author this month. You have captured everyone's attention and held forth beautifully and with great poise. I am truly inspired.

All my best,
Erica

#72295 - 01/31/05 09:09 PM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
Prill Offline

Erica--

Thank you so much for your kind words. You made my day!

All my best to you, too.

Prill

#72296 - 01/31/05 09:14 PM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
Maggie Offline

Loc: Oregon
Dear Prill,
I have enjoyed your words of wisdom this month even though I haven't posted I still have read them.
When you wrote about dreams it really caught my attention. I dream all the time so after reading you post put a dream journal on my headboard. I'm waiting for the dreams to come back.
Thanks again and I can't wait to read your book.
Maggie

#72297 - 01/31/05 09:31 PM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
Prill Offline

Thanks so much, Maggie. Wonderful to hear from you. I'm sure the dreams will come back soon. This may or may not prove to be valid for you, but I find that the more I write about my dreams, the more vivid they become.

#72298 - 02/01/05 04:32 AM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Hi Prill, me too, it appears that I vanished from chatting with you. I got too busy relocating and setting up a web site/business. I could not get your book before I left KC. So I am making it the top of my book list when it comes out in paperback in March. Love and Light, Lynn

#72299 - 02/01/05 06:26 AM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Prill,
I am glad I got this chance to talk to you . You have helped me out a lot and will look forward to reading your book.

Thank you ,

Nancy

#72300 - 02/01/05 06:27 AM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I wanted to congratulate Sandra, wow, what an honor and how proud you must be. You sold yourself and your idea. I so admire that in a person...

I married very young, 18 and my husband passed away three years later. He was a momma's boy, the good kind and I always was the strong one who took charge of bills, repair men, making sure income taxes were done literally everything. When he passed although devistated I still had the strengtgh I needed to survive. I remarried 7 years later to a businessman that was 22 years my Senior and became halpless. He did it all, I had to do nothing but be there for him and mother to our 2 children. I allowed him to be the boss in all things, I became his shadow, his wife, nothing more really. After 14 years we divorced and I was on my own, literally. I had to regain my strength and independence and was a then single mom, I worked very hard and was successful. By age 50 both my sons were on their own. Sitting at the lake one day enjoying the balmy weather I found my thoughts becoming extremely descriptive about my surroundings. I went inside and bought a small pocket notebook and sat down and began to write. I ended up writing several articles about the cleansing of the soul through separation and the realitazation that at any age we can become anything we desire and I was going to be a writer. I decided that right then and there and have never looked back. I find it easier to be me with no one around to fuss over. My characters are my family and they are exactly who I want them to be for the most part. I wouldn't be happy doing anything else except write even now nearing age 65....It completes me. [Smile]

Page 17 of 22 < 1 2 ... 15 16 17 18 19 21 22 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved