The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 177 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 14 of 22 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 21 22 >
Topic Options
#72261 - 01/26/05 06:29 AM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
Prill Offline

Loc: Connecticut
Thanks, Erica. Great to hear from you. No need to be impressed. I love to travel. I also adore New England. All four seasons. We're getting more snow tonight, and I'm like a little kid. I can't wait. [Smile]

Nancy-- Good to hear from you, too. Congratulations for having the courage to write about your experiences--both as a crossing guard and a caregiver. You seem to want to help others benefit from all you've learned. How wonderful! [Big Grin]

You asked whether it's better to type or write in longhand. I think it's a matter of personal preference. When my thoughts are flowing easily, I use a computer. When I'm stuck, I always go back to longhand. The physical act of putting pen to paper slows me down and allows me to excavate my thoughts and feelings. From that deeper place, I'm better able to pick and choose the words to describe as precisely as possible what I want to convey.

I’m not aware of any physiological research that supports using longhand when one is blocked, but I wouldn’t be surprised to discover such a study.

Regarding whether to include people's names or not, your concern is valid. For my book, I had the women sign legal releases before I published their names and stories. In my entry this morning, I even briefly hesitated to use Michael Woldenberg's name. But since I had already communicated the above information to him personally, and what I was saying was flattering rather than inflammatory, I decided to go ahead. I think he'd be pleased to see his name in print in this particular context.

When in doubt, ask the person if it's okay to use his or her name. In any event, proceed cautiously. If you don't have something nice to say about someone--or you're revealing sensitive information--I personally wouldn't use a name.

What do the rest of you think? [Razz]

#72262 - 01/26/05 07:27 AM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
Evie Offline

Loc: Nipigon, Ontario Canada
re the typing vs longhand

When I write poetry I use longhand - I want to see all my starts, and revisions, and crossing outs and going back to's [Smile] . When I'm typing a story, essay, devotional I pour it out on the computer...

Interesting, I'd never thought before about why I use either!

#72263 - 01/26/05 08:22 AM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
unique Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I can't write as fast as I can type so if something has to get down in a hurry, I type it. I do like to see my 'longhand' on the page, so I do both -- depending. I get more out of me longhand. Sometimes I look at the screen and my mind is just as blank as a New Word Document. [Eek!]

#72264 - 01/26/05 11:24 AM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I always write things out longhand first, I guess because I'm used to it. After the first draft and revisions are done, I type it up. Then future revisions are done on the computer.

To me the hand-written copies seem more special somehow. I save all the originals.

#72265 - 01/27/05 08:04 AM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I'm with Meredith on this one. I prefer to write longhand first and then revise while I type it out on the computer. I never thought about why before but I think Prill has the answer to that within her post. More time to think about what I want to say.
As far as using peoples names, I try to avoid them in my essays. I change them for privacy's sake. I've been becoming concerned with this lately and have decided to concentrate more on my fiction. And have also begun considering using a pen name.

#72266 - 01/27/05 08:39 AM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
I am working with senstive information about these relatives and what they have done in the pass . So the names I will not use . They for shore would sue me. and say it wasn't so. What about my name should I change it also. Giving credits in the book for the lawyer who helped me thur trying for Guardenship be OK! I will ask her permission also. I still have lots of questions This is new for me. Need lots of help.

This is my goal for the new year . Write this book and get the word out . I do have a title for the book that this Boomerwomen Speak has helped me to decide on .. I might add so far this has been a wonderful help to me.

Help ! [Eek!]

[ January 27, 2005, 12:50 PM: Message edited by: Nancy50 ]

#72267 - 01/27/05 08:52 AM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
Prill Offline

I love all these different perspectives.

When I initially got a computer, I had to train myself to compose first drafts on it. It was almost as if I had to rewire my brain. But now, as I said above, I do the majority of my writing this way.

Here's what Natalie Goldberg in her book WILD MIND has to say about this issue:

"I do all my original writing by hand. I have greater mobility: I can write on planes, with friends in cafes. Plus it feels more connected with my body; my hand moves with my arm and shoulder, which is connected to my chest and heart. All good writing comes from the body and is a physical experience. Can you type or use your computer? Of course. It's a different physical act so a slightly different voice might come out."

I wonder if this last sentence is true.

#72268 - 01/27/05 08:56 AM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
Prill Offline

Nancy-- I'll e-mail you later today. [Wink]

#72269 - 01/26/05 09:40 PM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
quote:
Originally posted by Prill:
Here's what Natalie Goldberg in her book WILD MIND has to say about this issue:

"I do all my original writing by hand. I have greater mobility: I can write on planes, with friends in cafes. Plus it feels more connected with my body; my hand moves with my arm and shoulder, which is connected to my chest and heart. All good writing comes from the body and is a physical experience. Can you type or use your computer? Of course. It's a different physical act so a slightly different voice might come out."

I wonder if this last sentence is true.

Gee, what an observation.
I am always seeking information about the physiology of writing. That adds a whole new variable. As soon as I can get to the med school, I'll try to find out if any research has been done.

Interesting.
smile

#72270 - 01/27/05 12:50 AM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
Prill Offline

Smile-- Make sure to tell us what, if anything, you learn. I bet I'm not the only one who's interested.

Page 14 of 22 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 ... 21 22 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved