The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 163 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 11 of 22 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 21 22 >
Topic Options
#72231 - 01/20/05 01:06 AM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Prill, she was another favorite of mine. I connected with her because my sister was going through radiation treatments for breast cancer while I was reading your book this summer.

Her statement about life beginning with the diagnosis is so encouraging for women to hear. Many women think death sentence, while others think life!

#72232 - 01/20/05 04:22 AM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
Prill Offline

Loc: Connecticut
Well, heck yes, JJ. Why NOT count yourself? [Wink] (Personally, I accept all compliments, no matter where they come from. [Big Grin] ) P.S. I might be sweet, but I ain't no saint. [Roll Eyes]

Dotsie-- I agree. The heart of Jean's story is about turning a negative into a positive. To me, she's a hero.

I'm glad you brought up your sister. I've been wondering how she's doing and keeping her in my prayers.

#72233 - 01/20/05 04:36 AM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
Evie Offline

Loc: Nipigon, Ontario Canada
quote:
Originally posted by Prill:

Technology is amazing, isn't it?

Yup...my son mentioned today that he was learning Excel at school....he's in Grade 6. I flashed back to when I first learned Excel - I think I'd already birthed one child by then, and had been in the work force for quite some time
[Smile] ...computers sure have changed fast!

#72234 - 01/20/05 04:53 AM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
Prill Offline

Evie-- Excel in 6th grade! Really? I'm pretty tech-savvy, but I'm a Neanderthal compared to my kids. My oldest designed my website for me [Cool] and maintained it for a while. He's even busier than I am, though, and would get grumpy whenever I'd ask him to update it. [Razz] I finally had him teach me how to do it myself. It's easy.

Websites--that's a whole other topic. They're great for promotion, and there's lots you can do to increase your hits.

#72235 - 01/20/05 05:23 PM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I don't think I'd even be on the computer if it weren't for my kids teaching me everything about using one.
Where would Bill Gates be without teenagers?

#72236 - 01/20/05 06:10 PM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
Evie Offline

Loc: Nipigon, Ontario Canada
I'll confess to being the computer hog in my family - my kids are always complaining they can't get on the computer because I'm on it [Wink]

I guess I come by it honestly. My dad was one of the first in our area to use computers for accounting and preparing taxes - we had a computer in our house before most (of course, it was the "work" computer so it wasn't for fooling around on - not that you could do much on them back in those days). He would have been in his early 50's then.

Today, in his 70's, he's still up on a lot of the latest computer technology and would be on the computer a lot if not slowed down by arthritis [Smile]

#72237 - 01/21/05 05:15 AM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
Prill Offline

TVC15-- Guess you're right. Where would Bill Gates be?

Evie-- I can relate. My dad, too, was one of the first in our community to get a computer. He was an engineer and really into gadgets of any kind.

Just arrived in L.A. I'll have more thoughts to share later. [Wink]

#72238 - 01/21/05 10:06 PM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
Prill Offline

One more thought about websites. Many of you already have wonderful ones. But if you're a published writer and don't yet have a "hidden" press page on your site, I highly recommend that you put one together. On mine, I have downloadable high-resolution jpegs of my book cover as well as my publicity shots. I also have a downloadable pdf file of my press release, plus contact information. It's a work in progress. Having recently redone all my press materials, I need to update it again. The bottom line is that I've directed the media to this page again and again, with great results.

On an unrelated note, I'm meeting my dear friend Nancy in a few minutes. (She's the person whose e-mail I shared with you last week after my breathing scare.) At this time of my life, I think my girlfriends are as important to me as my husband, mother and children. I don't want to, or need to, rank anyone. My family and friends fill different roles in my life. My point is that I doubt I would have persisted in writing my book without all the support my girlfriends gave me. I'm certain I wouldn't be the person I am today without their love and encouragement.

For years, my closest friends were men. The woman I was closest to was my mom. Nancy is the one who made me realize that I needed to put more energy into my female friendships. About a decade ago, she said to me, "Prill, your mom is going to die. Your sons are going to grow up. And, statistically, you'll probably outlive your husband. Who's going to be there for you then? Your girlfriends, that's who!

#72239 - 01/21/05 10:07 PM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
pmterrell Offline

Loc: Lumberton, NC
Hi, Prill:
I'm a new member and I just ordered your book. I have three sisters; all three of us changed careers in mid-life. My older sister had been a pediatrician for more than 20 years when she decided one day that she'd really always wanted to be a lawyer. So at nearly 50, she went to law school and is now practicing law and loving it. My younger sister was an advertising executive pulling in the big bucks when she decided at 40 to enter the ministry. Now she is ordained and has her own church... And I operated computer businesses, overseeing programming and applications development when I realized that I'd really always wanted to be a novelist. So here I am, with two suspense/thrillers on the market and another in the hopper... I thought my sisters and I were unique until Dotsie recommended that I read the posts in your forum. Now I can't wait to read your book!

#72240 - 01/21/05 10:35 PM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Yuhooo...Trishhhhh...so glad you've joined us girlfriend!

All--this is a friend of Pam's who fortunately for me, Pam introduced me to. Isn't she cool?

You must check out her books.

JJ

Page 11 of 22 < 1 2 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 21 22 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved