The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 127 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 13 of 22 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 21 22 >
Topic Options
#72251 - 01/24/05 08:46 AM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
You know Dotsie,I can relate...years ago... NOW... I'd probably just pull off the ol bra (if indeed I had it on that day) sling it the corner and say, "Now don't be shy young man", "I've got stretchmarks older than you." A little to the left...Oooh yeah thats it. Quite the knot, huh. Relationships's 'il do that to ya. Stay in school son. [Wink]

Unique, hot springs sound soooo relaxing.

Prill, just love this post.

Negged isn't it. Naked is bad...negged is good. Clarification please Queen. I have learned so many nice things since I flew South. [Wink]

chickadee

[ January 23, 2005, 12:48 PM: Message edited by: chickadee ]

#72252 - 01/23/05 09:23 PM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

That's an easy one Chick...

If someone is getting Naked, they are ready for their Saturday night bath.

If someone is getting nakkid....they are up to no good. [Big Grin]

Hope this helps.

JJ

#72253 - 01/23/05 09:37 PM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
chickadee Offline

OOOOooohhhhh. OK. So... negged is if they do both?
chickadee

#72254 - 01/23/05 11:51 PM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Chick,
Don't listen to JJ. She's just in the South.
Sweetie, you're in the SouthWEST where men are men and cows are scared!!
Out here if you say, I'm just all "negged" out, it means you've just about had all the negative crap you can handle for one day.
And if you get "naked," you could be taking a bath, but more likely you're either posing for Playboy or your boyfriend has a new Polaroid camera.
But if you get "nekkud," you're getting ready for some real FUN!!
And if you're as "nekkud as a plucked chicken," you are having FUN in public.

So be careful with the N words.
smile

[ January 23, 2005, 03:54 PM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

#72255 - 01/24/05 11:58 AM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
Prill Offline

Loc: Connecticut
So glad you gals are having fun with the nekked thing. (JJ--don't go there! [Razz] ) I just returned to my hotel room and am sorry to say that I'm too pooped to post. [Frown] Tomorrow morning I'm leaving Los Angeles and flying back to Connecticut, but I'll be back on-line Tuesday. [Wink]

#72256 - 01/24/05 06:19 PM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
unique Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Godspeed, Prill. Come back to us safely!

#72257 - 01/24/05 09:06 PM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
The things I learn in this neighborhood! [Eek!]

#72258 - 01/25/05 09:54 PM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
Prill Offline

Loc: Connecticut
Thanks Chickadee and Unique. [Smile] I made it home safely, although I didn't pull into my garage until 3 a.m. this morning. What an adventure JFK Airport was last night! Anyway, glad to be home.

Thought I'd start the day by shifting the topic away from nakedness--it's too COLD here in CT this morning to even think about taking any clothes off [Big Grin] --back to late blooming. I've been passing along some of the tips the women in my book wrote last spring for a journalist who was doing a "best pieces of advice" article. Here's my contribution:

“When I was 20 years old and working as a secretary at Harvard University, one day I confessed to my boss, a geomorphologist named Michael Woldenberg, that I’d always been terrible at math. He considered my statement for a moment, and said, 'You know, anyone can master the hardest discipline by simply taking it step by step.' Until that moment, I had always thought of myself as math impaired. I had never considered that I simply might have missed bits and pieces of knowledge along the way. Later, remembering what he said, I taught myself algebra with some books that I found at a community college bookstore. I started at the beginning and re-learned all the basic concepts. In the process, I discovered that solving problems was not only rewarding, but fun. Mastering algebra and then geometry ultimately gave me the skills and the confidence to take advanced math and science when I enrolled at Georgetown University in my 30’s. Then I tackled college French the same way. Even though I had studied French in high school, I insisted that I be allowed to allowed to start over with French 101 at Georgetown. The same approach worked for me when decided to learn to play the piano. And finally, when I set out to write Defying Gravity, I remembered Professor Woldenberg’s words again. Although I had never written a book before, I knew that if I broke the process into steps, I would eventually accomplish my goal.”

Let me add a caveat to the above. If anyone on this forum wants to go back to school, it's not necessary to do the groundwork I did. Colleges have courses to help you fill in all the blanks that I filled in own my own. The subtext of what I'm saying is that much of what we think of as talent--and therefore inaccessible to most of us--is in reality a combination of acquired knowledge and hours of practice.

A very empowering theory, to say the least. What I didn't say above is that the first way I tested it out--and testing it out was exactly my intention--was by signing up for crochet classes. (I'd always been intimidated by ladies with knitting needles!) I followed my professor's advice, and ended up making an afghan. Not a very attractive afghan, but an afghan nonetheless. [Razz]

#72259 - 01/26/05 12:23 AM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Well, hear I am a terrible speller and depend of possibe on the spell checker a lot. I have starting writing for which I have always loved to do. I have only written a short letter to the editor for our local newspaper and the editor love it so much , by the way is was about me . I was a Crossing Guard and wrote of my experience of seven years out on this lonely corner.

Now , I have started typing about my experience as a caregiver and the problems I have had with relatives and nursing home and none stop for the past five years. I got inpired by all my friends on this site . They give me courage to think and not be afraid of anything they give me faith my very best in life .

One question is it better to type this all down or to do this in long hand? I found both works for me now. I found going to my past and working up to the present in this books is working well . I guess I am on there right track with this. In the back of the book I plan to give people the resouse they need to find out information to whom you can go to for help. Like the Omubsman and elderlaw , National Coalition of Nursing home reform. I have already helped two people get the help they need.

I also if I should keep the names of realtives out for the worry of being sued if I should worry about that . I would love you book. My husband and I love to read and we have stacks of books here.

Thanks for your help,

Nancy [Big Grin]

[ January 25, 2005, 04:24 PM: Message edited by: Nancy50 ]

#72260 - 01/26/05 05:22 AM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
Erica Miner Offline

Loc: Southern CA
Hi Prill,
Just wanted to say how impressed I am at your intrepid travels in this season of 'weather.' Cross country flying is never fun, but with blizzards and such, you deserve a special medal for taking it in stride. Nothing like living in New England to develop the 'chops' to defy the elements!
Erica

Page 13 of 22 < 1 2 ... 11 12 13 14 15 ... 21 22 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved