The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 135 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 7 of 22 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 21 22 >
Topic Options
#72191 - 01/13/05 06:36 AM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Jaw Jaw, you made my jaw drop! Thanks for your admiration! Prill, thanks for posting about the anthropology professor. When I went back to college at @ age 45, I went to the college counseling office for support. I said to the counselor, "Yes, but, when I get interviewed for a job the employers will just see how old I am." The counselor changed my mind set in one sentence. He said, "No doubt that when they interview you they will see the quality you have to offer." Prill, I'm glad you inserted the comments about life events getting in the way of education. There are children who are considered stupid when what they are suffering from is PTSD. Violence in the home is an epidemic, and what youngster can concentrate on math after a family fight? .We are all experts and professors of our life herstories! Love and Light, Lynn

#72192 - 01/13/05 07:03 AM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
Evie Offline

Loc: Nipigon, Ontario Canada
Prill, Polly and the Passion Project!!!

(I love it [Smile] )

...keep posting - long, short, funny, serious - whatever, there is loads to learn here!!

#72193 - 01/13/05 09:15 AM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Meredith, that is awesome about Poet Laureate. I confess that I heard of that term but I don't know what it means. Do you want to educate me? Wow. What work you went through to fulfill a heart and soul desire. I lived in Orange County: Aliso Viejo, Laguna Beach, Laguna Niguel, Costa Mesa, Santa Ana. Sounds like I have ADD of geography. Love and Light, Lynn

#72194 - 01/13/05 07:01 PM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
quote:
Isn't it incredible how one sentence--a statement of praise, a question--can change one's life? I'm curious as to whether any of you have had this experience.
Prill,
When I was 4, I told a story to my best friend and her Mom, when I finished, her mom said to me, "When you grow up you should be a writer." I have never forgotten it, nor the way she looked at me when she said it. 40 years later, I am finally persuing this dream/mission/passion that has followed me every single day of my life. I don't know why I never bothered to take the time before, but lately it seems imperitive that I try.

#72195 - 01/13/05 09:55 PM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
Prill Offline

Loc: Connecticut
From my journal this morning:

". . . No god, no parent, no lover, no friend would be as unforgiving with us as we are with ourselves. Can we even fathom the courage it takes to be human? Have we ever considered that sometimes merely getting out of bed in the morning to face another day is an act of heroism?

"I don’t know why these words are spilling out of me. I don’t feel depressed. Quite the opposite: I’m excited to see what the day will bring. Maybe it’s because I’ve been reading over everyone’s entries on Dotsie's forum. I hardly know how to respond to some of the women's stories. I am so touched by their humanity, their boldness, their courage to confront the wilderness within. Even those who profess not to be bold have been just that by posting their thoughts.

"We are tiny specks of light swirling is a seemingly infinite universe. Billion year old stardust Joni Mitchell calls us. But these ladies are also giants. I hope they know that; I hope they feel it deep in their bones. . . ."

Lynn— How fortunate you were to have such a counselor say, “No doubt that when they interview you, they will see the quality you have to offer.” But what is PTSD?

Evie— Thank you!

TVC15— Every sentence of your posting contains a gem. How wonderful that your dream has finally caught up with you!

#72196 - 01/13/05 10:05 PM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I've had several defining moments in my life. Once when my Daddy told me that you always have two choices...1) do something about it, or 2) shut up and cope. Amen. Another moment was when a fellow co-worker who was my senior told me one time that no one was indispenable and if you thought you were, put your hand in a bucket of water...the hole left when you pull it out is how big or important you are....this is sooo true. And helps put things into perspective. Then one summer I was on the beach with my cousin. It was West Palm Beach, 1969 and uncommonly cold...so we left the beach and were mingling with others at a strip mall when I noticed a poster in the window. A very large one. On it was a poem by an unknown author called Deserderada. In it the author says "do not compare yourself to others, there will always be those greater and lesser than yourself." I was feeling very unsure of myself, had just graduated high school and boy was I wandering. That one line gave me something. Hope? Maybe...confidence? I think so. I've never forgotten it.

#72197 - 01/13/05 10:30 PM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
Prill Offline

JJ-- Great advice! Especially love the hand-in-the-water story. It's so true.

#72198 - 01/13/05 11:32 PM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Prill I hope you don't mind me posting this here, but I just found the poem (?) and I wanted to share it. Forgive? It does go along with your message to the world.

Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.

As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; listen to others, even the dull and ignorant; they too have their story.

Avoid loud and agressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.

If you compare yourself with others, you will become vain and bitter, for always there will be persons greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your acchievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your career, however humble; it is a real possesion in the changing fortunes of time.

Exercise caution in your business affairs; the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you what virtue there is. Many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection.Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all ardity and disenchantment it is perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.

Nurture strength of the spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and lonliness.

Beyond a wholesome disipline, be gentle with your self.You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here.

And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you concieve Him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy.

- found in Old Saint Paul's Church, Baltimore; Dated 1692

#72199 - 01/14/05 12:03 AM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
Prill Offline

JJ-- Do I mind that you posted a poem? Of course I don't! And you're so right that it relates to what I was saying earlier this morning:

"... be gentle with your self. [I like how "yourself" is written as two words here--as though one's self can be held in one's hands and treasured.] You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should."

No doubt.

#72200 - 01/14/05 12:16 AM Re: Prill Boyle, Defying Gravity: A Celebration of Late-Blooming Women
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Jawjaw,
That was wonderful, I'm going to copy this and save it.
I think it sums up perfectly what Prill has been talking about.

Page 7 of 22 < 1 2 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 21 22 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved