The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 158 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#71919 - 09/20/06 05:35 AM Re: extra cash [Re: jawjaw]
49erDonna Offline

Loc: California
I like the original idea about bringing back some of the lost arts to the kids. Parents would really go for sending their kids to classes teaching those traditional skills that are getting lost in today's fast paced society.

I crochet and always bring some yarn with me so that I can crochet on the bus ride to and from work. You'd be surprised how much conversation this causes. The people my age and over talk about how they used to crochet or how they knew someone who did.. the younger people ask to see what I am doing and how I learned etc.

I think classes on crochetting or knitting would be very appealing and like was said could be publicized by making up some cute little fliers.

Donna

#71920 - 09/23/06 12:15 PM Re: extra cash [Re: 49erDonna]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Amen. We need to teach these younger generations some of these skills before they are lost completely.

#71921 - 09/23/06 03:55 PM Re: extra cash
Daisygirl Offline

Loc: Ohio
One of my friends offers jewelry making classes (I am learning from her). She includes the project supplies and charges about $35 for a 3 hour class.

laurapoplin.com

#71922 - 09/23/06 04:08 PM Re: extra cash [Re: jawjaw]
49erDonna Offline

From what I have seen, I think we all have talents that can be shared with others adding to their lives and making some extra money for ourselves.

The thing is realizing the value of what we do and determining how to share it in order to make money.

I found a great way to build my son up - he was basically told he was stupid all through his school years. I knew and know that to be totally false.

So... knowing his two favorite hobbies are his baseball cards and computers, I put a bug in his ear about the possibility of combining those two things to make some money - and would you believe he has taken on that mission with lots of gusto - this from a kid with ADD.

He is building a website and will have historical baseball information and a place to offer baseball cards for purchase. He wants to learn how to run a small business and he may even take some college classes online... Isn't that awesome - he feels good about himself at last and he is doing what he loves!

Donna

#71923 - 09/25/06 12:20 PM Re: extra cash [Re: 49erDonna]
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Donna, I absolutely believe it. Children with ADD are usually very gifted. They just can't sit still long enough to learn in a traditional setting, but once they find their interest...watch out.

Let us know when his site is up and running. My husband was an old baseball card fan. God only knows what's up in our attic.

#71924 - 09/26/06 01:50 AM Re: extra cash
49erDonna Offline

Thanks Dotsie - I certainly will let everyone know when the website is up and running!

Donna

#71925 - 10/01/06 02:27 AM Re: extra cash [Re: 49erDonna]
Wisdom&Life Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, VA
Donna, I empathize with you and your son. My daughter has had the same problem all her school life. I hate that this has happened to her. My heart always broke when I saw her struggling and still no results from her efforts. Considering I have tried to teach her that if she put forth the effort, she will get better results. I don't blame her for not trusting me. (Although I will not tell her that, but at the same time continueing to give her encouragement)

She has always had common sense and is able to just figure out things for herself. She has a gift with children and I would've loved to have had a teenager like her when I needed a babysitter. She has expressed interest in finding more work babysitting, even though she can have a part time job at a store or restaurant.

I too am interest in seeing your sons web-site.

Thanks for sharing this with us. It gives me hope for her.

Cheers,
Cathi

#71926 - 10/01/06 05:14 AM Re: extra cash [Re: Wisdom&Life]
49erDonna Offline

Thanks for your note Cathi. How old is your daughter.

We went through a time when his Dad would berate him and tell him if he tried, he'd do good and obviously he just wasn't trying... etc...

I was always the softy and tried to ease the tension between the two of them. When I realized he had ADD and realized he had been trying all those years... it made me so sad.

Encouragement is the best tool in the world. I see that constantly in my relationship with my son. He has made huge strides because he thinks he can!

I'm glad that sharing my story gave you hope. Your daughter sounds like she has a lot of great qualities!

She has a really good skill if she can figure out things on her own. I find my son sometimes still not having enough faith in himself and will stop himself from trying something he's not sure about. I know that he's still struggling with some of the messages from the past - but he has come so very far and I know he will succeed!

I'm thrilled that you all want to see his site - that's so neat!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved