The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 169 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6
Topic Options
#71734 - 08/04/05 04:28 PM Re: Boomers and our future, moulah wise
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
yeah and my sis in law bought it years ago when it was affordable.

I'm not keeping the knives. just the "free" scissors because i looked at the knives (boy, did I!)

Lyn 329 -- my ph.D. is in intercultural communication. maybe I can give tips?

#71735 - 08/04/05 05:52 PM Re: Boomers and our future, moulah wise
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
DJ,
My sympathies in the finger wound. Sounds painful.

I was wondering if you could tell us more about your PhD. I have been pursuing a doctorate in Literature, but recently decided I simply cannot read another classic as long as I live!

Having been raised in a cross cultural environment, Intercultural communication sounds especially interesting. Can you tell us a little about what it involves study wise, etc.?
smile

#71736 - 08/04/05 09:11 PM Re: Boomers and our future, moulah wise
DJ Offline

i wasn't raised in an intercultural environment but i lived abroad as a young adult. I'm very much a WASP.

I went about my studies rather lackadaisically and never planned on going for it -- I was a college drop-out and took 10 years to finish undergrad when I had two small children. my undergrad studies were in media. It would've been journalism but I didn't start as a freshman and at the school where i went you had to go full time days to do j-school. I worked briefly in publishing, instructional tv and some radio.

Got my masters and started teaching adjunct just for fun and still never intended to go further.

When i was getting divorced, my lawyer said i needed to find a way to further my career if i wanted to get support (i.e., alimony) so I checked around. As far as studying media, I didn't think there was much more to learn about it. In the 90s mass media seemed to fall apart.

Intercultural communication seems like the discipline of the future, starting now. I studied interpersonal as an undergrad as well, which is interesting, but doesn't go far enough. I went to an historically black college which was one of the best in the country in intercultural with some of the top professors in the field.

Intercultural comm grew out of rhetorical studies, and also involves some anthropology and sociolinguistics. It has roots first in feminist studies -- women were the first to methodically study communication styles and point out how they were excluded. African Americans adopted a lot of the early feminist research. It looks at each of us as cultural beings -- we all bring our different backgrounds to every encounter -- sex, race, socioeconomic level, class, nationality, education, ethnicity, etc. We build our identities and develop our value systems largely by imitating those around us. We arrange ourselves hierarchically depending on who's in power and how much we resemble them.

That's a thumnail sketch (oops -- i'm trying not to think about fingers).

#71737 - 08/05/05 02:59 AM Re: Boomers and our future, moulah wise
Happy Birthday Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
DR DJ, thanks for the thumbnail sketch on your degree. You sound multi-faceted, and your degree sounds so interesting!

#71738 - 08/06/05 12:33 AM Re: Boomers and our future, moulah wise
DJ Offline

so, lynn, smile -- what were your questions about getting a doctorate?

#71739 - 08/06/05 02:34 AM Re: Boomers and our future, moulah wise
Happy Birthday Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Dr DJ, thanks for asking, but I don't have any questions at this time. You have done an awesome job with your education, and using it to help others. LLL

#71740 - 12/04/05 09:12 PM Re: Boomers and our future, moulah wise
frances Offline

Loc: Midwest
Anyone still watching this? Chickadee: A family member did what you are thinking of doing and now loves her job. I am 55 and just finishing a post-bac certificate in a new field. Posted this in the education thread but would like to know, financially speaking, if anyone has taken early retirement (by choice, thus cutting way down on the monthly payout amount)and started a new career in a new field (where salaries are lower because you are a newbie)?

Page 6 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved