The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 162 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#71724 - 08/02/05 08:39 PM Re: Boomers and our future, moulah wise
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
My broker keeps saying "Diversify" so I have a combination of tax free income producing bonds, blue chip, and growth stocks.

The broker also says "sell" one day and "Buy" the next. Of course he only gets a commission if I do one or the other so mostly I just ignore him. I pray and try not think about it. So far so good.
smile

#71725 - 08/03/05 07:43 AM Re: Boomers and our future, moulah wise
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Dr DJ, I am still curious as to what your doctorate is in. What do you teach? That is amazing to go from general assistance to a Ph.D. Awesome. How's your little pinkie? I pictured the pinkie at the keyboard ala tea cup style LLL

#71726 - 08/03/05 07:45 AM Re: Boomers and our future, moulah wise
Princess Lenora Offline

Hello Hello, speaking of financial future, I am trying to decide how much to charge for a beginner's workshop in journal writing. I posted the question of what to charge in another forum, and got some ideas. But I'm greedy for more ideas! How much would you pay for a workshop that runs one time for 2.5 hours that tells you the benefits and 3 principles of journal writing? Thanks a bunch. LLL

#71727 - 08/03/05 07:50 AM Re: Boomers and our future, moulah wise
Wisdom&Life Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, VA
Lynn,

In the future you might want to add a teleclass on the same subject. That way you have a large range of students that would be interested.

I am sorry I cannot help you as far as the fee is concerned. Do you have an adult learning center where you live? If you do you may find their schedule at a library, then you can get an idea of what the fees would be.

Cheers,
Cathi

#71728 - 08/03/05 08:49 AM Re: Boomers and our future, moulah wise
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I would pay $20.00 for such a class of that time frame. Anyone should be happy to pay that especially if the class is a good one. Just a thought.

#71729 - 08/03/05 10:51 AM Re: Boomers and our future, moulah wise
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
DJ, how did you cut your finger? OUCH!! Of course, it wouldn't affect my stellar typing skills as I only use 3 fingers, total.

My husband's occupation/avocation is managing our portfolio. Every month he draws up a spread sheet accounting for every penny we own. Personally I think he overdoes it, but it keeps him happy. Every month he calls me in to review our entire financial staus, to the detail. I am kinda sorta aware of what he's doing but am honestly not that interested.

The only thing I'm interested in, somewhat, is choosing my personal investments. I won't buy anything unless it's socially conscious. Probably my highest earner right now is Whole Foods.

#71730 - 08/03/05 05:52 PM Re: Boomers and our future, moulah wise
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
well, this friend of my son's is representing cutco -- a knife company in NY. I agreed to look at the entire set to help her gain points in some sales competition. These knives are SUPER sharp. The chef's knife is 9 inches long. Before using it I called the rep and left a message that I wanted the 7 'inch one instead. Anyway, to cut through some rather soft cheese I needed to hold down the pointy end with my left hand. And voila!...
*[caution -- the following contains graphic material...]*
I actually cut a little sliver of my fingertip -- it was stuck to the knife like a piece of raw chicken. First i tried to slap it on my finger and hold it there. I worried though that it might be upsdie down and my fingerprint would look weird. Anyway it didn't work. my husband put bandaids on but the bleeding didn't stop.

I put the finger flesh into a baggy -- EWWWWWWW-- and stuck it in my purse and went to the ER. Drove myself becuase we were expecting about 20 guests in about 40 minutes. I grossed out the nurses with the baggy flesh and I think that got me seen in a hurry. The doctor sewed it back on with 5 stitches. we'll see it if "takes."

oh, and the rep brought mw the 7" knife and a get well card. my question now is whether or not to keep the knife? my mom says I only have 10 fingers. maybe they're too sharp?

btw Whole Foods is trading above 100 now, i believe.

[ August 03, 2005, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: DJ ]

#71731 - 08/04/05 03:09 AM Re: Boomers and our future, moulah wise
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
DJ, Cutco knives? Oh boy. Those are the sharpest dang things. Their scissors cut pennies. I guess you saw that in the demonstration. I cut my finger with one too while cutting a bagel. but no stitches. Ross ran out and got us a bagel cutter. Another friend ended up in the ER after slicing her fingtr with a Cutco too.

We've had many guys do their presentation for us. Just had another rep sell me more about a month ago. I love helping out the kids.

Your finger story reminded me of the time my daughter's finger got slammed in the door. It's the only time we had one of our kids in a car, not in a car seat. I held her on my lap with one hand, and her fingertip on with my other. They didn't stitch it. They repositioned it, covered and taped the heck out of it. It was such a traumatic day for us. When we finally arrived home from the hospital we put her down for a nap. When she awakened she had torn the whole dang thing off. After calling the ER, we repositioned it, re-taped, put a sock on top, taped that, blah, blah, blah. Her fingertip is a little crooked today, but at least it's there!

Hope you're healing.

#71732 - 08/04/05 06:55 AM Re: Boomers and our future, moulah wise
Princess Lenora Offline

This is certainly a "diversified" thread. We have stock tips, fee tips, class tips, tele tips, and finger tips. DJ I am going to die of curiosity if I don't get to know what you Ph.D is in. Perhaps you can give me some graduate school tips! Love and Light, Lynn

#71733 - 08/04/05 11:56 AM Re: Boomers and our future, moulah wise
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I asked hubbo about Whole Foods and he said $138 and change. He knows all this stuff by heart.

DJ's and Dotsie's stories are NOT selling me on Cutco knives.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved