The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 164 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#71590 - 02/24/05 04:55 AM Re: credit cards!
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I do exactly that and beware anything I get that has return postage paid on it. I forego the coffee grinds but even tear the envelope it came in in half and send it back to them as well. The heavier the return mail is the more it costs them...I even add extra paper if the envelope is big enough, and it serves them right..... [Mad]

#71591 - 02/24/05 06:10 AM Re: credit cards!
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Chatty,
I did that today. I get those darn Capital One applications for my husband and me. With those cards in them. I wrote on them . Please take me off your list and I am tired of those cards you send me. and sent it back in there postage paid envelope. I get those about four a week and sick of it.

Yikes ! drive you nuts. [Mad] [Mad]

[ February 23, 2005, 10:11 PM: Message edited by: Nancy50 ]

#71592 - 02/24/05 10:31 PM Re: credit cards!
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Capital One? Sometmes we get two of those a day!

#71593 - 02/26/05 11:10 PM Re: credit cards!
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
My husband and I paid off all our credit cards and shredded them. We have one that we use for emergencies (never had to use it yet, - fingers crossed)

Our only long payments are car and mortgage. Our monthly bills are utilities and such.

We save each month for big purchase items and then pay cash. If we can't afford it, we don't buy it.

We've lived this way for two years now and it feels wonderful.

Hand raised ------> I solemnly vow to never get into credit card debt again.

#71594 - 02/27/05 12:01 AM Re: credit cards!
Dannye Offline

Loc: Prophetstown, IL
It is a rare day when there isn't a credit card offer in our mailbox. We have a dedicated garbage can (one of those large ones with rollers) that we set just outside the door into the garage from the house. When I go through the mail, I throw all the credit card mail, catalogues, and other junk mail into that bin. Then once a week my husband burns it. I used to shred it, but it became a part time job when you add in the personal paper I created myself.

We paid off all our cards, too. Our goal this year is to sell our remodeled house, take the cash, add it to my husband's social security, move to the city, and not work for at least a year except on our writing. Sort of a personal writer's retreat. Of course, it all hinges on our selling the house. Keep your fingers crossed for us! My husband is self-employed..so if things get tough, we can always start his business up again, but we really don't want to. After 45 years, he's pretty tired of it.

Oh, BTW Vicki....I solemnly vow to never get into credit card debt again! [Big Grin]

#71595 - 02/27/05 12:08 AM Re: credit cards!
mrsmuzz Offline

Loc: Orange, Texas
Capital One? You may find this hard to believe but we got SIX from them yesterday addressed to my hubby and I and two addressed to my mother-in-law who has been deceased for over 12 years! I have been burning them just because I like to see their junk going up in smoke! LOL I could heat my house with the damn things.

#71596 - 02/28/05 08:45 AM Re: credit cards!
Danita Offline

Loc: Colorado
VERY SCARY

I don't know if you all have heard much about identity theft -- but it is a huge issue in the U.S. right now!

I just bought a shredder to shred such garbage (credit card apps, etc)...because there are people who make a living digging through trash to find such info.

My brother was just ripped off of his checks (coming from the bank) and the person spent 900.00 before he was caught.

I heard a presentation from pre-paid legal reps - they have an identy theft program which is affordable - and I believe, worthwhile.

They also gave us a number to contact to stop those credit card apps from coming. People can get them before you do and open accounts. These people are VERY street smart!

I will try to get that number and post it.

It is easy to have a "head in the sand" mentality to protecting yourself from having your identity stolen - but when it happens to you.....you know, it becomes real.

D.

#71597 - 02/27/05 09:16 PM Re: credit cards!
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I can't stand having to waste time on these issues. Urg. I don't shred. I just tear, but you're right. Everything needs to be shredded!

Years ago, someone working for the post office ripped off my credit card before it got to me. When I opened my statement I was shocked to see over $900.00 in charges that weren't mine. All of that debt was erased by the bank. Now you know why the interest rates are so high.

#71598 - 02/27/05 09:43 PM Re: credit cards!
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Thursday my credit card company called ME. They suspected that someone had taken my credit card number and charged something to me somewhere in California. For some reason, maybe because it happened at the same time I was charging things a thousand miles away, it looked strange so they called. Can you believe that?

I was amazed. In fact, I insisted on calling them back in case it was a crank call or something. Who would think there was actually a human on the other end of that little plastic card? That someone was keeping an eye on my credit card was a huge surprise to me.

They cancelled my credit card as we spoke which means I can't charge anything on that card until Monday, but at least no one else can either.

Never had that happen before.
smile

#71599 - 02/27/05 10:07 PM Re: credit cards!
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I've had my credit card info stolen from an online purchase and before the bank and I caught it over 2,000 was purchased in other online products. The bank erased all the purchases and cancelled my card instantly. I've had my bank call me several times over "unusual" purchases and I appreciate their calls. It helps me realize that someone is watching those purchases and flagging them for possible fraud.

I set up a second checking account with a check card for purchases online. That account has a low dollar value so that if it is stolen from an online purchase there isn't much in it.

Now, I do my banking online with Bank of America and I pull up my statement every few days and go over it carefully. I'm watchful for any purchases not made by my husband or myself.

We shred any piece of paper or mail that has any personal information on it. Especially those credit card applications. And, I shred those cards that come with them.

I suggest that everyone invest in a good shredder and put it to good use. It could be a save you a lot of hassle someday.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved