The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 156 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#71580 - 02/15/05 07:53 PM credit cards!
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
This may seem like an odd thing to do, but for the month of January I collected all the credit card offers that came to our home.

Ross received seven.
I received nine.
My second year college student received 16!

This is ridiculous. My college age son works for a couple months in the summer and I can tell you he doesn't have money for a crdiet card.

In addition to the applications, we also received blank checks! This boggles my mind. What are these banks thinking? It's so unfair. They prey on these college kids knowing they need the cash. I've heard stories about kids graduating in debt up to their ears. What kind of way is that to begin living independently?

#71581 - 02/15/05 10:24 PM Re: credit cards!
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
And we wonder why credit card debt is escalating.
The checks I get are usually for a home loan to be used to pay off credit cards. If we have a recession, banks could wind up owning a lot of homes.
smile

#71582 - 02/15/05 11:16 PM Re: credit cards!
mammajude Offline

Loc: San Diego, Ca
I have been crossing off the info on the credit card letters and writing in big letter.. "Please take me off your mailing list". then I send them back in their self addressed stamped envelopes.. I get so much satisfaction out of it I can't tell you how good that feels.
the checks that come in the mail goes straight to the paper shredder. We're in debt enough and trying to get out.. YEAH>>>>

#71583 - 02/16/05 07:44 AM Re: credit cards!
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
OK, I usually don't splat my poems in the middle of posts, but since this was sooooo on topic...

Credit

Just this week I got eight pre-approved offers
for loans or credit cards
which makes 34 per month
or roughly one million dollars in free money

and for one insane moment I think:
I should take them all
get oodles of cash and wildly expensive playthings,
live high off the land until the bills are due
two months later.
In my entire life I haven’t made one million dollars
so the odds are low that I’d be able to repay.

I’d move to a third-world country
(somewhere that doesn’t get a lot of tourists
or have reciprocal extradition laws
probably because it’s in the middle of a revolution
or coup or tribal insurgency)
and live hidden deep in the jungle
where I’d get eaten by mosquitoes
and watch my precious possessions
rot in the damp heat of my tropical hell.

Meredith Karen Laskow
©May 19, 2004

#71584 - 02/16/05 09:07 PM Re: credit cards!
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Wow...that's a great poem.

chickadee

#71585 - 02/16/05 09:45 PM Re: credit cards!
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
I cannot stand how CC companies prey on not only the young, but senior citizens as well. It upsets me so much, that I constantly check the laws regarding them to see if there are any new "watch dog" laws out there to protect the innocent. I've written letters to my congressmen about their habits, and preach to anyone who will listen about the evils of CC's. I think one of the main problems with this easy credit is that we live in a society of "gimme, gimme, gimme, and gimme it now." I believe we will see a recession and soon.

I know I've touted this web site before, but if anyone needs a good, common sense, and guaranteed method of getting out of debt, then visit http://www.cheapskatemonthly.com/ and sign up. You won't regret it. Nuff said.

JJ

#71586 - 02/16/05 11:56 PM Re: credit cards!
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Meredith, or you could charge millions and file bankruptcy. Great poem. It's nice seeing your writing in here.

#71587 - 02/17/05 06:36 AM Re: credit cards!
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Thanks all! and I really got 8 in one week, which unfortunately is way too typical!

I shred everything with my name on it.

#71588 - 02/17/05 01:46 PM Re: credit cards!
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I like the bankrupcy idea. If enough folks did that these vultures might make more restrictions on who they give these cards to, make thyemhard to9 get and not be handing them out like jujubee's....

#71589 - 02/23/05 09:19 PM Re: credit cards!
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Andy Rooney says to put trash in them, even coffee grinds, and mail them back to them so they not only get smelly mail but have to pay for the postage.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved