The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 124 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#71523 - 01/11/05 12:52 AM Tenant screening
Songbird Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Is it legal for landlords to run credit and background checks for prospective tenants?

And who should pay for it? I've heard that only agencies can do it legally. Have you heard otherwise?

This is confusing, as there are many sites online to run these [Confused] .

#71524 - 01/11/05 02:41 AM Re: Tenant screening
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Its not only legal, its necessary. Getting a tenent out once they've signed a lease can be a nightmare so why would you want to take a chance not knowing the type of person you may be renting to???? I did it when renting a room,after all their in my home so I needed to know the character of this person and a credit report is usually pretty good gauge. You can tell the party that they have to pay for the credit check (usually $10.00) but you wil [Big Grin] l take it off the first months rent if they qualify, if not then adios muchacho.....

#71525 - 01/11/05 09:20 PM Re: Tenant screening
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
songbird, I'm sorry, but I am no help with this topic. [Wink]

#71526 - 01/11/05 11:40 PM Re: Tenant screening
Elsielc Offline

Loc: Orange County, CA
You probably can get a tenant's application form at a stationary store. Some software programs like Family Lawyer also have apps in them. The app usually has a space that tells the prospective tenant you will run a credit check and they have to sign to allow you to do so. Being a slum landlord for many years, I would run the credit checks, reference checks, former landlord checks, and everything I could think of to find out if the person would be good to my investment. You have to protect it.

#71527 - 01/12/05 11:07 PM Re: Tenant screening
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Elsie, you were a slum landlord? I find that hard to believe. Tell us more.

#71528 - 01/12/05 11:58 PM Re: Tenant screening
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Dots, Not sure this is the topic, but just thought I would add that having been a landlord, though not of a slum, I certainly understand the reasons for credit and background checks though they too can be of little value.

I had residential property and an office building that I managed myself for a while. Boy what an experience.
There is little that will destroy your faith in people like renting property to them. The nicest people seem to be the worst. Renting to people and businesses who proclaimed their Christianity almost turned me into an atheist.
Thank the lord I sold that property and don't do that any more. Amen!!
smile

#71529 - 01/13/05 02:49 AM Re: Tenant screening
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I rented out a two flat apartment in chicago years ago and did the credit checks which usually were pretty good BUT made sure the people kinew that I would not hesitate to have Carmine and Tony stop by when and if they were more than 15 days late on the rent. Smile is right though some people put on those
'heavenly' faces and have the 'devil' in their hearts. It took 18 months for the park I live in now to evict my neighbor 4 spaces down because she was sick of her place and tired of paying the space rent too, so she didn't pay either for over a year. She saved all that money and bought a newer better place a couple months after they moved her out and sold her place. So you never know. She paid for years and met a guy and just lived free until she could move in with him...I guess its different when you live in a park and the utilities are in your name, no one can turn them off so long as you pay them...big mess. [Embarrassed]

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved