The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 161 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#71481 - 10/30/04 02:34 AM Re: Christmas?
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
My husband and I are going to France to visit my sister and her husband for Christmas. That will be our gift to each other.

I send my grandkids a check so they can buy what they like. Christmas got to be a headache rather than a holiday to enjoy. I'm looking forward to leaving the hectic pace behind this year. Don't even have to decorate a tree! Yea! [Big Grin]

#71482 - 10/30/04 03:16 AM Re: Christmas?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Thist...you're the one with the right idea hon...

JJ

#71483 - 10/30/04 03:39 AM Re: Christmas?
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
You know the saying from Grinch . Christmas will come whether we want it to or not. So, we have to make the best of it.

Julie , I have never been to Australia . We will come and cook Dianne France should be pretty for the Holidays . I coming with you all. Ha!just kidding.

There will only be four of us for dinner . Anyone want to come. We don't have any family here. Just a thought.
You have to bring some rolls to eat.Bread that is.
Nancy

[ October 29, 2004, 08:41 PM: Message edited by: Nancy50 ]

#71484 - 10/30/04 05:46 PM Re: Christmas?
Sher Offline

Loc: Midwest
Hi ya'll,

As some of you know, I have a site dedicated to having Christmas on the cheap. It's called Frugal Christmas and I have several pages of Christmas freebies that are nice to stick on stockings, etc..

Actually, if any of you have some good freebie information, I sure would appreciate it if you'd post it here so I can put it on the site. Whatever your frugal Christmas ideas are, I'm always looking for new ones. As always, I'll give you credit and post a link to your site if you have one.

Ho Ho Ho!

#71485 - 10/31/04 07:24 AM Re: Christmas?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Here's a couple of things I've done.

1. Save your bread ties all year long...then when it's time to hang your bulbs, use the bread ties instead of hooks. Course this only works on the ones that have the loop hangers, but most of them do. The bread ties are colorful, and less dangerous. If you step on one of those, it won't hurt and stick into your foot like a hook.

2. Always wondered how to remember which child made what ornament? I buy the hanging tags at a craft store. I write on the tag the artist (child's) name, the date they made it and anything else I want to put on it to help me remember in years to come. You can slip the white loop over the ornament right before you hang it on the tree, then move the tag to the BACK of the masterpiece so it doesn't show. You've perserve a memory.

JJ

#71486 - 10/31/04 12:37 AM Re: Christmas?
Thistle Cove Farm Offline

Loc: Tazewell County, VA, USA
Thank you Queen, your words mean a great deal.

We have "open table" on Christmas Day. Dave and I decided years ago we would stay home Christmas Day and have a place where friends could come. We celebrate Christmas with our family early in December and then we're free to stay home Christmas Day...what joy and peace to not be on the road that day!

There are a number of friends who haven't family anywhere near so we always do a buffet and give an open invitation to come share Christmas cheer. Dave likes to have a smoked salmon so we have little cracker sandwiches -which I adore- and I make a lot of baked goodies...lots of fun and we always seem to have people who enjoy each other's company. One year I baked all the crackers to go with the smoked salmon, cheese and other things that needed a cracker. Those crackers were a huge hit; no one had *ever* had homemade crackers before -grin-.

The Frugal Christmas site is great; thanks for telling us about it! I can see I"m going to spend a lot of time there -grin-.

I'm looking forward to a memorable, in a great way, Christ season this year.

#71487 - 11/01/04 04:52 PM Re: Christmas?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Julie, what are you serving for dinner? Wnat some of our recipes?

Dian, France, what a lovely Christmas gift. I also like the check idea for the older grandkids. No one needs a darn thing anyway.

Thistle, now that sounds like Christmas to me. [Wink]

We also stay home. Whoever wants to come by is welcome. It's the only day of the year we don't get in our cars and take off. I love it!

#71488 - 11/06/04 01:11 AM Re: Christmas?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Every year I would charge up the credit cards with too many, too expensive Christmas gifts but since last year I have cut them all up and if I can't pay cash, I don't buy it. This will be the first Christmas ever I will not be in debt all year afterwards. I decided that since everyone loved the cooking creations I make I would make them all something they personally love. Like Sausge & cheese breakfast cups, my peanut dip, Sun dried Tomato & cheese dip, Mini Spinach & cheese cups, Salmon balls and Italian Spinach Pie and last but not least Creamy Italian pudding. I sent out a note asking if they could have anything I could make what would it be. These are the answers so I will make and deliver each one their favorite with a gourmet coffee and some cookies. I always take goodies to the Nursing home but this year I will go there the night before Christmas Eve and cook up a few things for them for Christmas. I always collect and distribute treats, blankets, bowls, and money for the local "no kill" animal shelters here as well, plus I know it's silly but we put up a little tree too for them. Thats my christmas and I will go to my sons home for Christmas dinner. I always buy Jason something, he's 13 and a clothes horse. He loves sweaters and my friend knitted him one that is beautiful and she's taking my special Cheesy Artichoke recipe and Nutty Summer Squash with Asigo Cheese hor dourves as payment. Nice huh? Happy Holidays it shall be.... [Big Grin]

#71489 - 11/07/04 10:01 PM Re: Christmas?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Chatty, I love your idea of cooking for everyone. My problem is time.

When the kids were younger we always baked for our neighbors. We made all kinds of cookies and Baby Jesus cupcakes. I'd buy pretty glass plates at the dollar store and we'd fill them with cookies and place the Baby Jesus cupcakes in the middle.

On Christmas Eve my husband and kids still load up the car and take something to our neighbors, but I have to admit that last year it was been store bought! It's a great opportunity for the kids to give and NOT receive.

We've also made great centerpieces. Use the old Clementine crates and fill them with evergreens, a couple ornaments from the dollar store and some candies/candy canes. Oh, we spray painted them first. The kids loved doing that part. They also piked the greens in and added the candy so they were involved

Last year it wasn't the same. I felt like I did it all and the kids delivered with Ross. I need to get back to having them involved. Ah, another thing to delegate! [Wink]

Gift cards are great for out-of-towners. They are also tax free. [Wink]

#71490 - 11/08/04 12:16 AM Re: Christmas?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
JJ your ideas prove once again that you aren't just a pretty face. I knew I saved those old bread ties for something. If you don't have enough (likeme) all the supermarkets put them out for customers to take...free too!!! I have a photo album especially for ornaments and/or gifts made by the children. I take a colored photo of it and place it in the album with the who and when. Each year this becomes a coffee table addition for anyone to look through.....
Thistle love your idea of staying home and until last year and this year Christmas was at my house, since myson has a new house he's so proud of and wants to take the chore off me, we have it at their house now. I'd rather be home though...I miss my animals and they love company... [Razz]

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved