The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 137 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#71457 - 09/29/04 10:11 PM Re: teaching kids to manage money
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Queen, I too have sold many things on Ebay and buy there as well. I'd be glad to help you and your daughter get started. Anytime you're ready just let me know.

Hey Lion between the two of us we'll have her up and running in no time. Where are you on Ebay? I want to go shopping.

#71458 - 09/30/04 03:42 PM Re: teaching kids to manage money
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I would give my sons an allowance for the chores they did around the house and they both knew that it had to last them until the following week and if they wanted anything major like a bike or a boat for fishing I would match them dollar for dollar but thats all. If they spent foolishly, oh well!! They did pretty good but the eldest was a bit more frugal than his brother who ate his way through most of his cash. He loved snacking on junk food which I never bought....My eldest learned so well now he lends me money, haha!! [Wink]

#71459 - 10/03/04 04:56 PM Re: teaching kids to manage money
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
My mother in law was so frugal, she would tear a piece off a brillo pad and only use the piece. "No use wasting the whole thing on one cleaning".

Her son, my husband spends money like there is no tomorrow.

He did not learn from example.
But i do struggle to teach my son the value of money. He is 5 and grasping it is hard. I don't want ot tie it to chores since I beleive everyone in the family has chores because we work to help each other out.

But Nathan is a spend freak too and I need to get a handle on it.
Lynn

#71460 - 10/05/04 04:13 AM Re: teaching kids to manage money
WizardofZA Offline

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
I have a tip on out of control wedding expenses for anyone facing those bills with their children in the near future. We gave our daughter (who never had to budget anything...daddy was always there!) a number. The number was what we were willing to pay for everything associated with the wedding. If she went over, she had to pay. If she went under, she got the balance in cash. It worked like a charm; she decided what her priorities were, compared vendors, pricing, made some of her own decorations, opted for a less expensive dress than the Vera Wang number in the catalog, decided that some of the high school friends that she hadn't seen in 5 years really didn't need to eat and drink at our expense, etc. It not only taught her the value of money (finally), she made realistic decisions without my intervention, ended up getting a nice sum back, and we didn't have one argument in the planning process. The whole experience was delightful!

#71461 - 10/05/04 01:59 PM Re: teaching kids to manage money
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
WizardofZA, what a wonderful idea, seriously that was brilliant. Wish I'd have thought of that when my sons got married. Of course the girls familys and I all pitched in so it was okay. What a great lesson your idea is for any young couple. [Razz]

#71462 - 10/05/04 03:22 PM Re: teaching kids to manage money
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
wiz, that sounds like the perfect approach to the situation. It takes the pressure off of the parents and teaches the kids how to be careful about how they are spending Mom & Dad's hard earned cash!

#71463 - 10/06/04 08:21 PM Re: teaching kids to manage money
swimbo56 Offline

Loc: Towson, MD
I believe alot of managing $ is in your gene makeup. I was always a saver and would dream about something, save my $ and then buy it. It really meant alot. I just donated, unable to sell even for $5, the typewriter I bought for about $60 while in high school. I paid for it with my savings, most coming from babysitting at 50 cents an hour. That was alot of babysitting. I still save money, I saved for 4 years to add onto my house. My brother on the other hand goes through $ like it is water. He never knew how to save. We can just try with our children and hope they got the right genes and watched what was done at home.

#71464 - 07/21/05 03:04 AM Re: teaching kids to manage money
renegadeartist Offline

Loc: Northern Colorado
Hmmm...all this information is giving me great ideas. My son believes in total abundance. Why save when there is always more? If I don't give it to him, he finds another source.
My therapist recommended giving him an allowance with no strings to teach him. She also believes he will learn by example.
A cute gimmick I saw was a ten year old girl who bought cheap flip flops and decorated them. Then she sold them for $10. Cute--she had twisted balloons around the strap part.

#71465 - 07/25/05 06:06 PM Re: teaching kids to manage money
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Renegade, I must have seen a segment on the same little girl. Waht a creative little girl.

How old is your son? We've done different things with our kids and money depending on their age. Now all three are working and they have their own spending money. Can't beat that!

#71466 - 07/29/05 01:58 AM Re: teaching kids to manage money
renegadeartist Offline

Loc: Northern Colorado
My son is thirteen years old. I would appreciate any advice you have for me!
R.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved