The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 172 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#71428 - 08/06/04 11:33 AM Re: spending money!
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I put a lot of my earnings back into my business and there isn't much extra. I do many of the home fix-it projects myself because I can't afford to pay anyone. I rent videos instead of going to the movies and get books from the library. On my recent vacation, I stayed at AYH hostels and ate trail mix. I rarely eat out and don't have much latitude with my money.

However, I have never been in debt. My house is paid for and I have medical insurance. My extravagances? This computer, for starters. I waited over a year to get it because I wasn't sure I could afford it. Also, I buy gorgeous well-made furniture that lasts forever; I haven't replaced any of it yet and really don't intend to. And every other year, I buy a piece of art.

#71429 - 08/06/04 12:49 PM Re: spending money!
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
What are some ways you can find to cut back or come up with extra money, when necessary?

Some things I have done in the past are:

1. Have caller ID and area calling cut off (temporarily)
2. Carry my lunch to work instead of eating out
3. Take boxes of papers to the recycling center
4. Have cable cut off
5. Roll pennies and cash them in
6. Cut back on unnecessary trips (using gas)
7. Cut out buying cokes and other drinks
8. No fast food places at all for supper - cook
9. Rent movies from library, get books there too
(same as Meredith)
10. Make homemade gifts for occassions instead of buying expensive ones

These are just a few. Anybody else? How do you pinch those pennies?

JJ

#71430 - 08/07/04 07:51 AM Re: spending money!
Toni Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
My husband and I spend the most money on education, food, clothing, videos/DVD's, housing and short trips.

We used to eat out a lot but we've got back some and saved a bunch...

#71431 - 08/07/04 12:56 AM Re: spending money!
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Jawjaw, all ten of your ways to save money are great ways and I do them myself BUT you didn't say to PAY YOURSELF FIRST. aznd I can't express strongly enoug the importance of this one thing. When you first begin it doesn't seem like much and isn't but after a few years WOW, it really adds up. Just save $5.00 if its all you have but do save it.... [Smile]

#71432 - 08/07/04 02:27 AM Re: spending money!
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Amen Ms C! I totally forgot and you are soooo right. You are the reason you are working, am I right? Of course you are! So pay yourself first. I use the 10-10-80 rule which may or may not work for others, adjust accordingly.

10% to da Queen first
10% to my church
80% to bills

Some times I adjust that when and where I can to give more, or to pay more. I also have an emergency fund that I DO NOT touch under ANY whiney little circumstances. It is for emergencies. I've already had to use it once, now I'm building it back up again. Thanks for reminding me Chatty...ALWAYS PAY YOURSELF FIRST.

#71433 - 08/07/04 03:49 AM Re: spending money!
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
I don't buy any junk food. It's expensive and usually unhealthy. I watch the utilities and for other reasons beside saving money. I shop sales. I try to upkeep and maintain things so I don't have big repair bills. That alone, has saved me a lot of money. Doesn't seem like much but it all adds up. I also keep all of my change in a glass jar and then, roll it for mad money (usually to pay for my shoe bill! [Wink] !

#71434 - 08/08/04 02:20 PM Re: spending money!
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
AMEN to that my Queen and by the by did you see the new Oreo product thats out called Oreo Chips? I can't have any myself but boy do they ever look good. Its a ultra thin chocolate cookie without the cream filling, also comes in a chocolate chip. When I saw it advertised, I immediately thought of you...10-10-80-is a great plan and it does work quite well... [Wink]

#71435 - 08/08/04 06:14 PM Re: spending money!
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

GET OUT! A new Oreo product? NO! Thanks for the tip...I think...teehee...Oh Lord. There goes my diet. Oh what the hay...

JJ

#71436 - 08/09/04 05:55 PM Re: spending money!
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
While roaming the streets of this beach town with my son and his friend yesterday we saw a sign for FRIED OREOS! [Eek!] What is this world coming to?

No, we didn't indulge. We were more grossed out than anything.

I like the original Oreo's.

#71437 - 08/09/04 06:22 PM Re: spending money!
DonnaJ Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
Ewww...that sounds awful, Dotsie.

I guess our biggest expense and only indulgence is eating out. I rarely cook these days, 'cause it's usually just the two of us, and we eat nothing alike.

Donna

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved