The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 179 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#71418 - 08/03/04 11:00 PM spending money!
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Well, you ladies asked for a finance forum so here we go.

Since I have one in college, one in private high school who will enter college in two years, and another who will also enter college in two years...do I need to say anything else?

On waht do you find yourselves spending the most money?

#71419 - 08/04/04 12:18 AM Re: spending money!
WizardofZA Offline

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
For me, the better question is what DON'T we spend money on!! It seems like is has been never ending, since that glorious day almost 30 years ago when my oldest daughter was born. Braces, piano lessons, cheerleading outfits, college tuition 8 years in a row (the girls are 4 years apart), then the capper was the wedding this January of our youngest. Oh, my that was a large check!!!
Now, we are saving for the other daughter's wedding, remodeling the kitchen, after which we need to tile the whole house, get new window treatments, new furniture, etc. etc. etc.
The list never ends. I couldn't help but think when I was attending my daughter's showers this past year, that there really should be showers for us long married folks. All that stuff needs to be replaced; why are all those gifts wasted on the young? hahaha

What I LOVE to spend money on, however, is cruising. Just love that!!!

#71420 - 08/04/04 12:24 AM Re: spending money!
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
What I really spend my money on, or use to, was antiques and trips to buy antiques. I use to have a booth where I sold things, so I was constantly on the look out for a bargain. Course that money was well spent because I MADE money. When I started writing more, I stopped and now I spend it on books, inspirational, self-help, technical, and just good reads.

The thing about finances I've learned over the years is DON'T SPEND IT IF YOU DON'T HAVE IT TO SPEND. I try very hard to live by that motto...

I don't always succeed, but I try. Does anyone else have a problem with overcoming instant gratification? You know...the mentality of "I want it now!"

JJ

#71421 - 08/04/04 02:25 AM Re: spending money!
Julie Offline

Loc: Australia
JJ, we went through a phase recently of getting quotes for all sorts of home renovations which we think we badly need...then decided NO, we don't want to borrow money. So instead we made the modest choice of simply replacing the toilet (!) and will work through our list of needs/wants one at a time as we can pay for them. Hubby and I feel happy with this decision but the no.2 son is still nagging for a billiard table (and a room to put it in!) [Roll Eyes]

#71422 - 08/04/04 02:34 AM Re: spending money!
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
I say my whole life is on the JIT (Just In Time) management system. I studied it in college.
There was LIFO and FIFO and maybe others that I now forget.
It seems like God has me on the JIT system. Just in time when I see something I really need to buy money usually comes along.
Of course this major remodeling project is really testing the system, but so far we're still afloat. [Smile]
smile

#71423 - 08/04/04 03:10 PM Re: spending money!
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Have any of you read the book, "Cheapskate Monthly?" It has great tips for staying out of debt and living comfortably...

The thing I like that Mary calls out over and over is that you DON'T have to win the lottery to live the life you want. You can get the book from your local library and I would highly recommend it.

Anyhoo...this was a lead in to my REAL question and that is DO YOU SAVE?

I know I am guilty of really doing a good job of saving then something will come along and whoa baby...that sucker is depleted...GUILTY! YOU?

#71424 - 08/04/04 03:43 PM Re: spending money!
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Shoes

#71425 - 08/05/04 07:58 AM Re: spending money!
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

with me it's purses. I love those things. But getting back to Mary at Cheapskate Monthly, and by the way, it's http://www.cheapskatemonthly.com/
if you want to go take a peek...

Now where was I...oh yeah, she taught me that you don't have to have a raise in salary to save money. You don't have to inherit your fortune to save money, you don't have to take out a loan...doo da..doo da. She has sound wisdom, and if you find yourself in a bind, late paying your bills, or just need advice on how to save, please go and read the site info. Yes, it cost to join and be a regular member, but the cost is minimal compare to how it can change your life.

Just a suggestion...

JJ

#71426 - 08/04/04 11:48 PM Re: spending money!
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Somewhere many years ago I read an article written by a millionaire. I feel if you want to make good pastry read all you can from the great pastry chefs or whatever you want to know go to an expert. You wouldn't ask for financial advice from a bum, would you. Anyhow he taught me that you should ALWAYS PAY YOURSELF FIRST So for many, many years I would take 1/3 of my salary and put it into an IRA. When I wanted to move to Nevada and buy a home I had $61,000. saved after about 10 years of saving. I bought this home cash...Now and for many more years I have paid myself FIRST and have a nice little nest-egg for when I am no longer able to work or for investing in something stable. It isn't hard to do either. Just take a certain amount and deposit it and forget it (into savings) too easy to get at it in checking accounts. Even if its only $5.00, save it....It's amazing how fast it adds up. You have to be strict and never touch this money. It doesn't exist.... [Wink]

#71427 - 08/06/04 01:53 AM Re: spending money!
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
Shoes and clothes are my vices. Don't drink or party or do bad things. My husband knew before he married me that I can't resist a great pair of shoes so he was warned well in advance.

And, I have found Shoe Heaven and it's located in Paris, France in the Galleria Lafayette. Seven stories of glorious shopping. Only problem is...the clothes are in French Women sizes and they aren't very big. No problem with the shoes though [Wink]

My sister divides her time between Paris and Provence (married a French man) so I watch for special flight deals and try to visit her at least once a year. We walk every where we go or take the Metro (that is an experience in itself!) so no matter how much I eat, I don't gain weight. However, my feet feel like hot pizza pans at night after I've literally fallen into bed. Plus, they aren't big on air conditioning either. Not good when you're having hot flashes! [Mad]

Anyway, after all that rambling, I don't enjoy a whole lot of things that much. I mean, not that get me so excited as whipping out my credit card for a funky pair of shoes that can't be found in America! My family calls me The Shoe Queen and they've got that right!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved