The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 163 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#69326 - 10/05/04 12:23 AM Re: New Job & New Guy!
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Sugaree,
Can't you just have fun with this guy as a person without considering him as a mate?
Having recently been single myself, I went out a lot with different guys -- just for fun. I almost always had a good time and they seemed to enjoy my company. They almost always called again. Several wanted more closeness and I had more proposals after the age of 50 than at any time in my life. I never really rejected anybody. I just sort of got busy and skirted the issue by teasing my way around it.
I wound up with a lot of friends and had a blast in the process.
Not every man is out to take advantage of you. Some just want company. And why not enjoy that? At one time I thought if a man bought dinner and took me to a concert or movie, I owed him something, but I finally came to realize that my company is enough. I tried to look as good as possible and be as personable as possible and that's all I had to be. Men took me to company parties and church, etc. as well as concerts and plays, etc. and I was nice and smiled a lot and tried to make them look good and that was all I had to do.
I was having a blast when I married my husband. It just happened.
When and if the right man comes along, both of you will know it. If not, you'll have had a lot of fun and a bunch of new friends. Don't take a date too seriously. It's just an opportunity to have fun in the company of someone you like or will like--if you allow it.
smile

#69327 - 10/05/04 07:01 AM Re: New Job & New Guy!
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
quote:
Originally posted by Sugaree:
[/QB]

quote:
Originally posted by Sugaree:
[QB] I think she wants me to be in a relationship so that I wont be alone when she leaves for college next year.

chickadees quote
quote:
And better yet, your daughter approves!!
Sugaree,

Your daughter approves of you "seeing people on a dating basis" was the jist of my previous post.It may not be her business ,never the less,it poses problems if a son/daughter is upset about Mom seeing anyone at anytime. I felt that your daughter thinking she doesn't want you to be alone shows that she cares about you in an unselfish way. If I came across differently, I didn't mean to.

I also congratulated you on your post about a potential new friend in your life. A "new man" with the qualities your mentioned.I am excited for you and like other poster friends,I feel that taking things at a slow, comfortable steady pace is the sensible way to go also...

Keep us posted...

#69328 - 10/05/04 08:57 PM Re: New Job & New Guy!
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Oh, no Chicadee, I didn't take your comments as negative at all. Everyone has an opinion. We wouldn't post our emotions if we didn't seek the opinion of others. Some agreeable, some not.

Most of the time here, when you put a subject out there, you'd better be prepared to accept those varying opinions. I'v been angry before, even asked myself why I cared what a stranger thought. Well, it is not that 'simple' here. These are real, and for the most part, intelligent folk behind these opinions.

So, speak on Chickadee! I'm glad you could hear the excitement in my post. Of course with that excitement, I needed to listen to the flip sides in which Smile and JJ presented. I call them 'balance.' I do tend to get overly excited about situations that most of the wise women have experienced already to some degree. Sometimes I hate I asked, but for the most, I'm glad, no matter the outcome.

Have a wonderfully bright and blessed day!

Sugaree [Wink]

#69329 - 10/05/04 09:32 PM Re: New Job & New Guy!
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Hey SMILES....I think Sug just called us wise...zat the same as being old?
[Eek!]
JJ

#69330 - 10/06/04 01:51 AM Re: New Job & New Guy!
smilinize Offline

JJ, Wash your mouth out with soap. We're just sweet YOUNG things wise beyond our years and you know it!!

Hey, I got cheese older than us--Well, almost as old anyway--And it 'is a little moldy, but...
smile

#69331 - 10/06/04 02:58 AM Re: New Job & New Guy!
chickadee Offline

Ha ha, cheese older...

When I was ten, fifty looked old. Now at fifty, I thought ninety was old but as I was researching Newfoundland Authors last night, look what I came across!

(newspaper article 1997)

Captain John Russell...age 91
Russell's book, Memories of a Lifetime, is an interesting account of a life during which he, like many Newfoundlanders of his generation, turned his hand to a variety of things to make an honest living... "I guess I could have started writing the book earlier," laughs Russell. "But if I had started when I was 50, I wouldn't have had as much to write about."

The Captain wrote his 179-page book the old-fashioned way--with a ball point pen and paper. [Eek!]

I love it!

old?...Nooo...Wise...Yes...experienced....for sure! JJ at 90 you will be the queen of "experienced experiences"... [Big Grin]

Enjoy!

(I added this)
Autobiography of John Russell

"Having this in mind for a long time, whether or not I should write my autobiography, I have now decided I should. Therefore, to the best of my ability and knowledge and with God's help, I will try to give my family in particular some idea of how I managed to get to the place where I could stand alone."
- John Russell

[ October 05, 2004, 08:36 PM: Message edited by: chickadee ]

#69332 - 10/06/04 04:36 AM Re: New Job & New Guy!
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

This sounds like a book I would want to read, no joke. How interesting!

I think old is whatever is 15 years older than me.

JJ [Big Grin]

#69333 - 10/06/04 08:47 AM Re: New Job & New Guy!
chickadee Offline

http://www.tidespoint.com/books/1bio.shtml

Quite a few writers for the Island...Bonnie Jarvis Lowe is listed also.

Sug...point well taken, [Smile] now...we need an update [Razz]

We had some crazy sayings growing up. Everything was referred to as "Old as Buckley's Goat" ever heard that one?

#69334 - 10/07/04 03:10 AM Re: New Job & New Guy!
smilinize Offline

The guy still writing at the age of 91 brings back memories of a writer friend.
The most published author in my writing group (The Writers of the Purple Page) was a retired journalist and photographer. He died last year at 91 a month before his most recent magazine article appeared in print.
He had also just finished writing his memoirs of WWII as a novel. His family is attempting to get it published.
He was such a gentleman and always had a twinkle in his eye. When he published an article, you could see it in his walk. He practically danced up the lane to the house. I had him a party every time and he reinged like a king. Even got him a crown once.
Neat guy. Thanks for reminding me of him.
smile

#69335 - 10/07/04 03:45 AM Re: New Job & New Guy!
chickadee Offline

Smiles - This was his first Book - at 91 - isn't that wonderful! I just might pick it up while I'm there in NF.
Did you get your PM?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved