The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 121 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#63653 - 10/26/05 08:12 PM Re: topics that vanish?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
DJ, thanks for your research. What is the name of the book that you submitted this for?

Since I am the host of this site and beleive wholeheartedly in the mission I will share the following:

I know we have issues on occasion with people being ignored or misunderstood. I do not think it's intentional. I come here every day and spend 1-2 hours posting. For some reason I didn't even open this forum/topic until today. Naughty me. I do the best I can. I try to read every single post, and usually do, but I jump around. I'm probably ADD.

I have thought and prayed about this issue. The only thing I can come up with is paying women to monitor specific forums...and I can't do that right now. Maybe as the association continues to take off I will be able to do so.

In a perfect forum every woman would get:

-a thanks for registering email
-a message that stated "someone replied to your post at BWS"
-a reply to every post
-lots of PM's, etc.

Let me share this:

BWS is receiving 1.3 million hits for every 30 day period so I can venture to say that women love this site. Needs are being met. They lurk, take what suits them and their beliefs, tell friends, post, make friends, give and receive advice, and even go so far as to meet face to face!

I refuse to let the occasional negative comments outweigh all that is good at BWS. A few years ago I would have been striving for perfection. Now I know that's not possible, and it's okay. Onward.

[ October 26, 2005, 01:13 PM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]

#63654 - 10/26/05 09:21 PM Re: topics that vanish?
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
"Lurk" Is that a southern term? My grandfather used it all the time!

#63655 - 10/26/05 10:11 PM Re: topics that vanish?
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
1.3 million hits every 30 days is nothing short of amazing, Dotsie!

Onward, indeed. [Cool]

#63656 - 10/26/05 10:19 PM Re: topics that vanish?
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
DJ, I read your post yesterday and took it as an info statement. I thought it was quite interesting and went on about getting to my "other" posts that I was checking on for replies/to reply to etc. Not too many. Good, I thought. I monitor 2 posts and keep an eye on another here. If you check my "view recent posts" you will notice that I am the last poster to many of them. I treat this as a "closed" topic unless I have something else to say.
Being the last poster to a topic or not having one answered is going to happen, especially now with all the newbies, even with monitors...

If I need an answer, I will speak up. If I don't, it's no biggie.

I am not easily offended -do you think that has something to do with people leaving? Did you have any indiction of this in your research?

I am commenting on your posts today for 2 reasons.
1. It got me wondering - hence, my questions to you .
2. If you felt offended ( whether you were or not) I felt I needed to explain. It's what I do.

I think we need to write a boomer creed and add...i.e.

If I'm not being (noticed?)
but info I need to gain.
I'll state it in my next post
I will rattle a chain.(I know, hey it's the best I can come up with right now, but 'you get my drift?"

Dotsie, here's a suggestion -
Have a contest to write a "BWS" creed that we can put on the site. A newbie's creed? Heck I don't know. There has to be a way...

I honestly feel that BWS is like real life...people meet, take what they want, give what they want and either stay or move on. Some speak their mind and some stay quiet. Some are leaders, some are followers and some are not, I guess.

DJ, do you check for unanswered posts often? I try. I believe Chatty is really good at that. She's hitting at a couple of thousand posts. Way to go Chatty. It has to take a lot of time. i don't always have it.

Just my two bits.
chick

[ October 26, 2005, 03:27 PM: Message edited by: chickadee ]

#63657 - 10/26/05 10:46 PM Re: topics that vanish?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Thanks chickadee and actually its over 4127 and rising....and yes it does take alot of time. I am on the site sometimes from morning till early evening trying to answer posts and make sure none get posted over before they have a chance to get those replys. Plus I monitor several topics and watch them closely. DJ everytime you asked a question for your research it seemed the response was super. I also thought your latest post was in answer to someone asking what, why the research and you were explaining. There are times when it seems my name is on everything and I fear others will say, "oh here she is again." Hey its a dirty but someone has to do it, he, he!!! All any of us can do is do our best to treat others the way we ourselves want to be treated. If you see a new post give it a chance before jumping on top of it, thats just rude. This is after all suppose to be fun as well as informational and helpful. A word comes to mind for this situation and that word is RELAX, enjoy yourselves, have some fun... [Big Grin]

[ October 26, 2005, 03:52 PM: Message edited by: chatty lady ]

#63658 - 10/26/05 11:57 PM Re: topics that vanish?
Pattyann Offline

Loc: Ocala Florida
DJ
I think you have really defined this website. I especially related to the issue of safety here. If someone is particularly sensitive and a little different they could not be comfortable here.But sometimes it takes women who are a little different to open up a whole wide wonderful world out there.
DJ you are one smart woman

#63659 - 10/27/05 12:15 AM Re: topics that vanish?
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
who has made a difference here. [Big Grin]
chick

#63660 - 10/27/05 01:10 AM Re: topics that vanish?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Hoorah for that!!!

#63661 - 10/27/05 07:31 AM Re: topics that vanish?
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Thank you DJ. I was wondering what you were doing with all of the research.

I'd like to add a couple cents here though.
What I like so much about this forum is that it is a continuing conversation of many different minds from all over the world. It is here 24/7 for anyone that needs it. In that regard, I may post a question at 7am eastern time and not get back here for another two hours or two days, for that matter, but I can still follow the posts and get answerswhenever I do get back here.

Yes I know sometimes people don't get answers, but then maybe none of us knows what the best way to answer is. We need to appreciate that sometimes no one knows what to say and instead of giving bad advice, they give no advice.

I bring this up because I have two sons and one computer, sometimes I just can't get back online.

#63662 - 10/28/05 03:38 AM Re: topics that vanish?
DJ Offline

Loc: Ohio
I appreciate the kind words. Thank you.

Dots -- I don't think you should worry about negative comments or people who don't want to stay on BWS. After all, millions watch baseball, but not everyone wants to play it.

Page 7 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved