The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 192 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#63603 - 10/11/05 05:24 PM Re: topics that vanish?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Eagle, make the most of your endeavor. Enjoy those you are working with. I'm sure you will.

Danita, I have deleted posts, or a portion of a post in the past, but not entire topics. This is new to me too. I'm guessing that when the person deletes the first message in a topic, the whole post disappears. I'll check this out. My understanding was that you could only delete a post written by you. Hmmm...

#63604 - 10/11/05 06:25 PM Re: topics that vanish?
Danita Offline

Loc: Colorado
Ladies,

I don't think this was a case of people not being compassionate. I think it was a case of communication errors.

I talked to her offline because I saw it coming - she was VERY open to what I had to say - but in the end, I think she felt like she didn't fit in.

When people speak in "generalizations" and they use "fighting words" other people get offended. And when called on it - she began to feel picked on. She chose to take her ball and go home.

As the forums grow, situations like this will grow also. We will have people come and go.

I think we are very much an OPEN group, willing to accept people where they are at. I think it becomes difficult when people come to us - and myabe they aren't careful how THEY communicate.

You know Dots, I think we should have a sticky that shares "everything I learned about communication, I learned in Kindergarten". Maybe we could put some words of wisdom out there for new posters.

I have never been a part of a more active, positive, accepting group.

#63605 - 10/11/05 06:41 PM Re: topics that vanish?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Excellent idea and I think it might save some wounded hearts along the way.

Everyone has an opinion and a right to voice it... we just need to make sure we are not "categorizing" and lumping other people's feelings/opinions, dismissing them, and forcing or shoving our own to the front as gospel. Self-included!!!! Lesson learned.

I think we should, as Danita wisely put it, have the 10 Commandments of BWS, so to speak.

BTW Danita...your pm is full. Please empty and I'll respond to your last message.

JJ

#63606 - 10/11/05 06:57 PM Re: topics that vanish?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Here is what everyone reads when they register for the forums:

This site operates solely by The Golden Rule: Treat others the way you want to be treated. By communicating on Boomer Women Speak’s message board, you are agreeing to abide by our community rules.

We promise to provide a safe place where members are encouraged to treat each other with respect and to support and encourage each other with enthusiasm.

If you are new to the site, come on in. If you’ve been around for a while, be sure to welcome our newcomers. We know you might think you have a dumb question or post, but there is no such thing on our board. Anything that comes to mind is okay with us as long as you follow our guidelines. Whether you are rejoicing over a new job or are upset about a relationship, more than likely another boomer woman is going through the same thing. Being supportive of one another is why this board exists. Remember, “FRIENDS HEAL FRIENDS.”

<b>Screen Names</b>

We ask that you choose a screen name with good taste. We will reject names we think are vulgar.

<b>Etiquette</b>

Please refrain from the following:
<ul>
<li>Using all capital letters. It’s considered shouting online and makes it difficult to read.
<li>Posting the same message on several boards.
<li>Posting anything obscene, illegal, insulting, abusive, degrading, or threatening. We won’t tolerate harmful communications. We’ll delete anything that attacks someone’s race, sexual orientation, religion, or personal being in any way. Profanity and symbols for profanity are forbidden.

<b>E-mail</b>

Give out your e-mail address only if you want to receive e-mails. Posting your e-mail address makes it public and gives others permission to contact you.

<b>Professional Advice</b>

Remember while sharing stories is informative and helpful, nothing takes the place of professional advice. Please seek proper attention and don’t rely on our community for personal counseling.

<b>Copyrights </b>

We ask that you not post anything that you don’t have the right to publish. We also ask that you don’t violate any copyright laws in your postings. We will delete posts that contain any such violations.

<b>Advertising </b>

Do not use our message board to solicit products or services.

<b>Other Web Sites </b>

It’s absolutely fine to mention or link to other Web sites you find useful. They may also be of interest to others on our boards.

<b>Reporting Problems</b>

Please contact <a href="mailto:boards@boomerwomenspeak.com">boards@boomerwomenspeak.com</a> if you encounter messages that are offensive in any way. We reserve the right to terminate any user at any time for any reason.

<b>Contacting us</b>

Please contact us for any reason. We are only a mailbox away! <a href="mailto:boards@boomerwomenspeak.com">boards@boomerwomenspeak.com</a>

#63607 - 10/12/05 07:35 AM Re: topics that vanish?
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
I feel the need to speak my mind on this. First, we are all avoiding using this person's "name" and we shouldn't. She has an identity and here it was Ladybug. I could see that sometimes she appeared to be coming off as bragging or judgmental but each time she was called on it, she apologized and tried to explain what she meant. She never tried to hurt anyone and most of the time, she was sincerely trying to share her knowledge about health issues and her outlooks on life. I do think she was being "picked" on by some. There is a real human behind that screen name, a woman who wanted to be a part of something and feel safe to share. I understand how things get twisted and misunderstood and I know how it can hurt to feel like you're being picked on. I tried to stop her from leaving and to reconsider. But what is hurting now (and I do feel her pain) is that some don't seem to care that a soul is hurting, only that there are posts missing. It is sad.

#63608 - 10/11/05 08:08 PM Re: topics that vanish?
Danita Offline

Bluebird,

I chose not to use her name, because she has chosen to no longer be represented here. So, my "not using her name" was in honor of her wishes.

I don't know how you could possibly know how "some people are" feeling about this situation. I for one liked her, and communicated with her off-forum.

If being "picked on" is being accountable for the generalizations that one makes...then so be it.

WHEN we communicate, we need to be careful that we speak for ourselves, and not a group at large. Generalizations tend to offend people. Wouldn't you agree!?

So, I noticed missing threads - topics I had poured my heart out on. I was just perplexed. That shouldn't be able to happen on this website - regardless of decisions that individuals make.

danita

[ October 11, 2005, 01:25 PM: Message edited by: Danita ]

#63609 - 10/11/05 08:37 PM Re: topics that vanish?
Bluebird Offline

Danita, I thought I was being careful not to speak for everyone, which is why I said "some"...
and I stand corrected on the missing thread issue. I wasn't seeing it as feeling bad after pouring one's heart out about a topic. You're right, that could be upsetting, thinking someone was "deleting" your thoughts and feelings. I don't think she knew the whole thing would get deleted, so I don't thik it was done vindictively.

#63610 - 10/11/05 09:07 PM Re: topics that vanish?
Bluebird Offline

BTW, Danita, how much snow did you guys get up there?? This is my first autumn in CO so just seeing the snow on the higher peaks is blowing my mind! We've just been getting rain down here, but it's chilly. The aspens are still gold, though and some are still turning.

#63611 - 10/11/05 09:17 PM Re: topics that vanish?
Danita Offline

Bluebird,

I'm in the Denver area - the ground was too warm to hold the snow - so it's just been soggy!

You'll get some SNOW and COLD this year - I can almost guarantee it!

I love the winter - but hate driving on bad roads - it gives me knotts in my stomach....ugh!

danita

#63612 - 10/12/05 12:23 AM Re: topics that vanish?
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Good reminder,
Dotsie thanks,

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved