The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 162 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#62126 - 05/06/05 03:06 AM Re: Internet Relationships...do they work?
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
quote:
Originally posted by DallasGal:
I believe for the most part that dating on the internet is wrong....

Dallasgal, yours is another beautiful love story. I wondered why you feel that meeting online is "wrong." Is there some Scripture that says it?
Just curious.
smile

#62127 - 05/06/05 05:40 PM Re: Internet Relationships...do they work?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Dallas, your story has miracle written all over it. From your signature, I take it you had two children with Mike? How old are your children?

#62128 - 05/06/05 06:17 PM Re: Internet Relationships...do they work?
DallasGal Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Dotise,

Actually, we have three children total.

I consider my 18 yr. old stepdaughter to be my daughter also. We both claim each other as our own. =)

Kayleigh, 6, is my daughter from a previous marriage, and Mike, my husband, is the only Dad she has ever really known.

Andrew, 23 months, is the first, and last, only child Mike and I have together.

#62129 - 05/06/05 06:53 PM Re: Internet Relationships...do they work?
DallasGal Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
quote:
Originally posted by smilinize:
quote:
Originally posted by DallasGal:
I believe for the most part that dating on the internet is wrong....

Dallasgal, yours is another beautiful love story. I wondered why you feel that meeting online is "wrong." Is there some Scripture that says it?
Just curious.
smile

Not wrong as in a "sin" - just the wrong way for most to go about meeting the love of their lives.

Conversing online provides a false sense of familiarity in which women often feel that they "love" some one just from words in chat and e-mails. Because of these premature feelings women, especially, tend to jump the gun, overlooking personality conflicts, character flaws and stick to the belief that the "real" person is the one they fell in love with online. This holding to the ideal person above the real person is a potential marriage buster. The false sense of familiarity also tends to lead couples into being more intimate, or sexual, than what is actually beneficial to the long-term relationship. The feelings of love also tend to get women and men caught up into cybersex, which is devoid of the powerful emotions and care for another person found in the intimate sexual relationships between a husband and wife. Ultimately, most women I have talked to have felt "cheapened" after the alure of cybersex had faded. "Logging offline" is no substitute for the feelings a wife has while falling asleep in her husband's arms after a good round of sex.

Hope that helps clarify why I feel online dating is wrong - ultimately the wrong way of going about dating and meeting people.

Granted, there are some online dating arenas that are better than others - Eharmony.com is the best one IMO. I have done research on many of these services for an article for Second-Time Single Moms, and was impressed with the system for Eharmony - however, I received this quote back from "Shawn", one of the guys who was part of my survey group. I think it shows online dating and some of the struggles from a "guy point of view" as it relays the conflict of how differently women and men view the level of a relationship established online:

(In Shawn's words)
"I joined eharmony in October I think. I have gotten over 400 matches. It seems like everyday I get a few matches. The only thing is I have only talked to just a few of them and met only two in person. Both of the matches I met where very nice people. I did notice that Eharmony can be a dangerous tool also. Although the intentions of Eharmony is good there are a few dangers. One thing I have noticed is that many of the people you meet in person are very serious about a committed relationship right away. What i mean by that is because you both know so much about each other before you meet there are definetly some dangers that can take place. One of those dangers is intimacy and the other danger is that many of the people you meet are already attached to you. I think some people build up a fantasy of what the person is based on the emails and correspondence that occurs. You being married you understand how important it is to get to know people at there best and see them also at there worst. This can only take place if two people spend time together. This can be hard because your match might be far away. So it is hard sometimes to get that quality time together. I am not sure how this will work in a marriage setting. I definetly think that both persons must spend allot of time together. I have a friend who married a girl from Eharmony. Like most relationship there had to be allot of marriage counseling after they where married. It is easier I have also found out to lie to the other person or stretch the truth a little. This can also harm a marriage. I believe that the most important years of marriage are the first few. Most people who have marital problems can trace them back to things that where done in the first few years of marriage. This can come from unforgiveness, bitterness etc..... I say this to say that I am not sure how stable this apporach is to the long term committment of marriage. Oh yea match makeing online can be very expensive also. Not neccessarly from Eharmony but the fact that many times you have to travel a great distance to see your match so that can make for an expensive date. I do like the approach of learning about a person. I know that eharmony says they have had over 6000 marriages but I would like to know how many of those people are still married today. Anyways as for me it has been nice to make friends. I think that ultimately the most important thing is that I give my desires and relationship to God. Sometimes people may feel like they are trying to play God on Eharmony by talking to so many matches. As for me I take the approach that I am makeing friends and trusting God for His greatest will in my life."
-Shawn B., Arkansas

#62130 - 05/06/05 08:38 PM Re: Internet Relationships...do they work?
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Smile,
What a neat story! I loved it. Blessings and luck 4 the future. [Razz]

#62131 - 05/07/05 12:23 AM Re: Internet Relationships...do they work?
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Thank you all for your nice words.

Now I have to tell you the rest of the story. It's kind of long so I'm serializing it.
It all began with a Christmas play in 2002. I don't ever do theater at Christmas, but I had been seeking God's purpose for my life and when I was asked to direct one of my musicals as the church Christmas program, I prayed for a fabulous production, committed myself to God, and began rehearsal.
As Christmas approached, cast quit, sets broke, rehearsals were canceled. Everything went wrong. The Production became more and more difficult. I was in tears half the time and I really wanted to quit. But I had made that commitment to God so I just kept praying and making new plans half hoping God would make it impossible to continue.
As I became immersed in the play it occurred to me that the birth of Jesus was really a miracle of love and for no real reason, my prayer changed. I began to pray for a miracle love.
The two principals who were from the church music program had an out of town death in the family two weeks before opening. I had no one to fill their roles so I thought it was a sign to abandon the production and stay home.
But from nowhere two more singers showed up. They were not from the church and their past was a little checkered, but they were very talented and very committed so I gave them a chance. Through a couple of terrible snowstorms and a lot of chaos, we rehearsed. At last it was a perfect night and we were ready for opening.
I was on my way to opening night when my daughter called to say that the two new singers had called her saying they weren't going to be at the opening. She said the guy sounded stoned.
My son in law with whom I had a rather cool relationship at that time got on the phone. He said, "That blankety blank can't do this to you. I'm going over there and beat the SOB up." I hoped he wouldn't really do that, but somehow it was nice just to know he cared.
Though I couldn't understand why God was not rewarding me for all my hard work with a great production, I was resigned. The only thing I could do was break the news to the cast and put up signs for the audience.
A couple of blocks from the church, the cell phone rang again and it was my son in law. He said, "Don't cancel the show! Becky and will play Mary and Joseph."
I said, "But you don't know the lines."
He said, "We know the songs and we're learning the lines now."
I told him I would have to leave it up the cast.
He said, "We're on the way! We'll know the lines when we get there!"
I broke the news to the cast and they were distraught. But when I told them about my kids wanting to play Mary and Joseph, they insisted we go ahead with the production. A daughter of the singer playng Mary was to play the shepherd so we were still short one character when one of the actors out of town company showed up early. The man insisted he would play the shepherd so we quickly improvised a costume. My daughter and her husband arrived with my grandson who was playing a lamb. They knew the songs and the lines well enough to improvise. And though everyone's nerves were absolutely shot, the audience applauded like crazy and no one knew what chaos was going on backstage. It was the most wonderful Christmas production I have ever seen.

Afterward, the pastor called me on stage to take a bow with the cast. As I stood there in the spotlight with my family, I knew I was surrounded by a true miracle of love.

But that's only the beginning of the miracle. More later.
smile
P.S. This does lead back to the subject of Internet Relationships, I promise.

[ May 06, 2005, 05:43 PM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

#62132 - 05/07/05 12:53 AM Re: Internet Relationships...do they work?
ariadne54 Offline

Loc: WV
Dallasgal,
I agree with most of what you've said. I think even Eharmony is a hoax, however. The other thing...It's a big stretch from meeting people onlne in the personal sites to the issue of cyber sex. I wouldn't even think of such a thing, nor would I know what it was about if it were initiated. I suppose two people who are located far, far apart could indulge in something like that...Is that what you were referring to? It seems sad and foolhardy, doesn't it.
ARI

#62133 - 05/07/05 02:57 AM Re: Internet Relationships...do they work?
Maggie Offline

Loc: Oregon
There's an article in Guideposts magazine about Eharmony. I thought it was a hoax too because my kid kept subscribing but after reading the article it doesn't seem like a hoax.
Maggie

#62134 - 05/07/05 06:56 PM Re: Internet Relationships...do they work?
Barbara Jones Offline

Loc: Cullman, Alabama
Hi inquiring minds....

My book titled: INSTANT MESSAGE (IM) is about people who meet people online.

Based on true events, “ INSTANT MESSAGE” (IM) A love story made on-line, filled with Sex, Lies and Hatred. It's an eye opener that captures real life experiences among millions of faceless names who chat on the internet.

People with different backgrounds and various personalities exchange their false and true-selves with others. “INSTANT MESSAGE” (IM) will text YOU into the lives of those who chit-chat their way through cyberspace looking to text into the hearts of souls who search for love.

I always ask people who come to my book signings
is it easy to fall out of love as it is to fall into love with an internet lover?

Then I ask them....

So why marry your high school sweetheart when you can marry a complete stranger?

How safe is it?

My book is listed in AuthorHouse website Book store, amazon, Barnes & Noble, Books-A-Million.

I interviewed hundreds of people from the chat rooms to do this book.

You just might know a few people who shared their story with me. Alot of them used their real names and screen handle.

One of you maybe in this book too!

I have to run. I hope to see some of you at my book signing when I come to your state.

Let me know what state you're from so I can let you know if and when I will visit.

Take care!

#62135 - 05/08/05 07:08 AM Re: Internet Relationships...do they work?
Barbara Jones Offline

Loc: Cullman, Alabama
Hi Dotsie,

Good to hear from you! I've been running around like crazy. I'm glad I receive a notification to my email letting me know you sent me a message. I would have never known.

Email me at: instant_message_2005@yahoo.com just in case you want to contact me.

I will stop-by as often as I can. Maybe we can setup a night when we all can get together online and chat!

Please keep in touch !

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved