The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 179 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#58943 - 09/23/04 04:23 AM Ornaments
Songbird Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Do any of you make your own Christmas tree ornaments?

Please note:I know I posted this a couple days ago but there were technical difficulties and I was unable to read your comments or replies [Confused]

#58944 - 09/25/04 02:07 AM Re: Ornaments
Maggie Offline

Loc: Oregon
Yes, each year I try to make at least one ornament for our tree. They are usually Tole Painted now. I used to Macrame, decoupage and use any craft that I was working on.
This year I would like to use Calligraphy. Still working on that one.
Maggie

#58945 - 09/25/04 07:08 AM Re: Ornaments
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
YES! I love making those. What I've done for the past two years is scanned pictures of meaningful events, people and quotes and captions from magazines or newspapers and pasted them on varying types of spheres. I have been using a thin epoxy and spray to adhere the thin paper then tracing them with various beads, gold foil and even fabrics. After they are set, I glaze them with a spray enamel for a gloss.

This year, so far, I've gathered neices and nephews pictures and some family portraits.

The Caligraphy idea is great! Maybe, granted I can master writing that in time, would be a grand addition to a tradition that I've started here. I will start calling family members so that they can give me meaningful pics to add.

Have fun!

#58946 - 09/25/04 03:46 PM Re: Ornaments
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Sug that sounds like a terrific idea! Let me ask you all something since you are the artsy/craftsy people and I'm an idiot.

Could you (and Sug sparked this idea)cut out pics/special events, etc. like Sug said and glue them to lightbulbs? AND then put that stuff on them like we use to put on lamps back in the 60's? that stuff that coats them and seals the pic's on the lightbulbs? Then....there has to be some way to glue a hanger onto the lightbulb, no? yes? If you could do that, you could put all sorts of Christmasey stuff on the lightbulbs and even have a little tree on the side that had nothing but lightbulbs with oh...I don't know, say...ELVIS bulbs...? Gone with the Wind bulbs? Ruldolph bulbs? MEL GIBSON bulbs?

what?

JJ

#58947 - 09/25/04 05:05 PM Re: Ornaments
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Great ideas girls. I think I might do a whole tree of old family photos. Wouldn't that be fun.

JJ, you're not going to light up the lightbulbs are you? Seems like they might cause a fire. Or maybe that's just my mother talking. She was always afraid we were going to catch the Christmas tree on fire. Probably why she got one of those aluminum trees the moment they came in style--boy there's a blast from the past. Anyone remember those? Actually I thought they were pretty.

Anyway, here's an idea for you JJ. I thought my husband needed a tree for his office and he said it would be too sappy.
So I made him a JOKE tree. I gathered 'scroogy' sayings about Christmas and developed a grumpy cartoon type Santa then painted him in various silly poses on some white balls and wrote the scrooge sayings on them.
The tree was a huge hit and everyone came by to read it. (I gotta' tell you though, painting and writing on those slippery spheres was a pain. I had a lot of failures before I finally came up with enough for a whole tree. Anyone know how to make that part easier?
smile

#58948 - 09/25/04 05:51 PM Re: Ornaments
Maggie Offline

Loc: Oregon
All wonderful ideas.
JJ, people do a lot of things with light bulbs right now. Look through some of the crafts mags.
I've seen them painted, glittered and glue eye,
carrot nose to make a snowman. I bet you could decoupauge the pictures on. I believe you tie the hanger around the top of the lightbulb tie a knot there and then bring the strings together and make your hanger. I hope that makes sense.
Smile my only thought on the writing is write on something before you put it on the white ball. White paper might not show up and now they have Vellum you can put that through your printer.
Vellum is usually clear even if it is colored.
Songbird, what about your ideas.
Maggie

#58949 - 09/26/04 04:55 AM Re: Ornaments
DonnaJ Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
I go a bit crazy every Christmas and put a tree (or two!) in every room. But my favorite is the one with all the homemade ornaments. I've kept every one the children made (you know! the ones made out of beads or a felt bell with their picture in the middle?), and then I've added a lot of my own.

One really easy thing to do (you listening, Queenie?) is to take the glittery pipe cleaners. Wrap them around and around something cylindrical, and then pull them off the end. Depending on the size of whatever you wrapped them around, you have either really tight spirals or bigger ones. When you put a bunch on the tree, they look very pretty. I used all gold one year. It only takes a few minutes, especially if you use something larger to wrap them like an empty paper towel tube, longer if you use something smaller like a pencil, but either way, not THAT long for the effect.

Hmm...I wonder what my husband would think if I made one of those felt bells and put Mel Gibson's pic in it? [Wink] Oh, I've got his response: [Mad]

Donna [Roll Eyes]

[ September 25, 2004, 09:58 PM: Message edited by: DonnaJ ]

#58950 - 09/26/04 11:56 AM Re: Ornaments
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
JJ they sell really inexpensive styrafoam balls or other shapes you can glue pictures to and then coat with a lamanent to hang on your tree. They look wonderful and last forever too. You can also cover them with beads, jewels, buttons whatever strikes your fancy, I've even wrapped colored yarn around some. Fun and useful too. [Razz]

#58951 - 09/26/04 03:00 PM Re: Ornaments
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
hey all great ideas....and what about this? Why couldn't you take a "gem" clip, and open one end, then stick it down in the styofoam ball and then the other end hand on the tree? Would that work if you didn't have anything to heavy on the ball?

LORD! I don't believe it...I just thought of something crafty to do! yahooo....Call Home and Garden TV...I've found a new career!

[Big Grin] JJ

#58952 - 09/26/04 06:27 PM Re: Ornaments
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I get nervous listening to you talk about crafts. Where is my creativity when it comes to this stuff?

There may be hope. I DO have a glue gun. I bought it when we were having a 50th anniversary party for my parents and my Martha Stewart sister-in-law came up with this incredible tree decoration to give to all the guests. It was lovely. All kinds of ribbons and lace with a picture of my parents on their wedding day in the middle.

All I did was follow the directions! [Big Grin]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved