The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 177 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#58592 - 06/27/03 11:43 PM art festivals
Maggie Offline

Loc: Oregon
Hi,
Has anyone done any outside art festivals? One of our organizations is putting on a fine arts and crafts one Labor Day weekend. I think it will be fun and can't believe some of the pictures I've seen. They are beautiful.
Its another way to contact artists if you are looking for classes or a group working on stuff.
I loved how you use table cloths. So many great ideas.
Maggie

#58593 - 06/28/03 06:57 PM Re: art festivals
Maggie Offline

Hi Dotsie,
Thanks for replying to my message I appreciate it. I would like to change from private to public but cannot find my profie to do that. Can you help me with this please?
I have enjoyed this site too. Going through the some of the same stuff and find the arts & crafts helps me out a lot.
Thanks,
Maggie

#58594 - 07/08/03 03:08 AM Re: art festivals
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I'm a full-time craftswoman, for about 30 years. I sell my product mostly at arts and crafts shows. I know the business as well as anyone but don't want to write an essay about it right now. Did you need specific information?

#58595 - 07/08/03 03:49 AM Re: art festivals
lionspaaw Offline

Loc: SW Florida
I LOVE doing craft fairs -- the people you meet are wonderful people -- both the other crafters and the people that come to the fairs.

Meredithbead -- what is your craft ?

#58596 - 07/08/03 04:22 AM Re: art festivals
Maggie Offline

Hello,
So glad you answered the posts. Mainly I was curious to see if anyone else has done them.
I am doing four this year and have done them since 1988. I agree you do meet a lot of nice people at the festivals, fairs and bazaars.
Am curious now what kinds of items do you sell?
Thanks,
Maggie

#58597 - 07/08/03 09:40 AM Re: art festivals
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Hi Maggie and Lionspaaw,
I make semi-precious gemstone beadwork jewelry. I sell maybe 90% at arts and crafts fairs, and 10% galleries and shops. I also have a website but I think Forum rules prohibit listing it. What crafts do each of you make?

#58598 - 07/08/03 04:36 PM Re: art festivals
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
This forum is very interesting to me because it seems as though many boomer women are rediscovering talents from their past and making businesses out of them. [Big Grin]

I have a neighbor friend who is in her first show this weekend in Baltimore. She left her job as an art teacher 2 years ago and is now selling original silk scarves and jackets. She has spent the last 2 years researching and getting her act together. This weekend it all comes to fruition for her. I think it is awesome when we take advantage of our God-given gifts. [Wink]

I have another friend who is trying to get organized enough to market her beaded jewelry. It is beautiful and very popular right now. I am encouraging her as much as I can to make a go of it. [Razz]

#58599 - 07/08/03 06:01 PM Re: art festivals
Maggie Offline

Hh Meridithbead,
Your jewelry sounds awesome. That's neat how you sell it too. I've haven't made it into a gallery yet so am taking more Calligraphy classes even though I have taught a couple of classes. It never hurts to take it again.
I do Calligraphy, Tole and Decorative Painting and now Rubber Stamped Art. I enjoy it all and love other artists & crafters work.
I had a Crafters Mall for four years and it was interesting to see the crafts that people had done. I sold stamps and scrapbooking items too.
We did have some classes there and they were always fun. Lots of laughter.
I have also found it healing when some of us gather to do our crafts and visit.
I am happy that you have joined us in the forum.
Dotsie good luck to your neighbor too. Maggie

#58600 - 07/09/03 03:05 AM Re: art festivals
Maggie Offline

Hi Lionspaw,
I forgot to ask what kinds of items you sell?
Thought about it later sorry, I can be pretty ditsy at times.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Maggie

#58601 - 07/09/03 09:02 AM Re: art festivals
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Re doing this as a business: I just finished 3 weeks in a row of working 80 hours a week (big gallery order PLUS big wholesale order PLUS several awesome craft fairs). For anyone thinking of doing this as a full-time source of income, it can be feast or famine. It takes a lot of organization and self-motivation. And good budgeting skills because the money is seasonal. This said and done, it beats filing papers or waitressing or working for idiots, all of which were jobs in my former life. BTW, Dotsie said it's OK to post my website, so here it is: http://pages.ivillage.com/meredithbead I put it together because ivillage advertises "build your own website in 15 minutes." I think 150 hours was more like it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved