The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 120 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#52680 - 03/21/03 05:45 PM Children and war
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Thanks to Lionspaw we have located some great articles about children and war. You might want to check them out.

All AOL members can go to AOL PARENTING and on the home page you will see America at War, Helping Kids Cope.

There are articles that deal with soothing your children, getting kids to open up, how to keep discussions at their level, monotoring television, accepting their fears as real, etc, etc.

I would think that if you don't have AOL, you could do a similar search on Yahoo or Google and get similar articles.

Let's keep our kids on our minds during this difficult times.

#52681 - 03/26/03 01:20 AM Re: Children and war
Sandy Offline

Loc: Colorado
[Confused] What about our big ones that are waiting and wondering if there will be a draft? If they will have to go.
I live in CO and we just had a very large blizzard. My doors had five feet of snow against them when i opened them up when it was over. We lost electric for 6 days. Because we are on a well, which runs on a pump, we had no water. the snow was too high for the plow. so here we all sat. it taught me again that i need to be prepared.
i am very afraid of Sudam. He is not stupid. He is very coniving. And he has been planning his US hits before 9/11. It is my belief that he has people in our country and who knows what or when they are going to do something. when this blizzard started, everyone in the Denver area ran out to the grocery stores to stock up. But what if the grocery stores run out and trucks can't get in. What if Sudam hits a large electric plant and knocks out our electic services. I know I am in CO and we get our electric from CA. Waht if he hits an aquafer with some kind of cemical?
I have been stocking up since 9/11. I have all kinds of food, water, suvival supplies: candles, kitchen matches, blankets, clothes, gasoline, and generator for a few. I hope I will not have to use them for something like terrorism, but i am not going to be unprepared. I hope you are all prepared too.

#52682 - 03/26/03 11:10 PM Re: Children and war
Candice Johnson Offline

Loc: Alexandria, VA
Here are some other resources for those interested in disucssing issues with their children. These all come from a e-newsletter I subscribe to called Connect for Kids.

**Special Interactive Presentation: Kids in Tense Times
Adults with children in their lives are walking through an emotional minefield when it comes to helping kids feel and stay safe in these tense times. Connect for Kids talked with three experts: Psychiatrist Alvin Poussaint, well-known for his insights into the minds and feelings of children; historian William Tuttle, who explored how U.S. children experienced home-front life during World War II in his book "Daddy's Gone to War"; and Principal G.J. Tarazi of Glasgow Middle School in Arlington, VA, who has helped children from dozens of countries -- as well as relatives of Pentagon staffers -- negotiate their feelings about the September 11, 2001 attacks and the mounting Iraq crisis. Hear their perspectives in a Connect for Kids' interactive presentation.
Connect for Kids
**Help with Healing, on the Web
From grabbing the newspaper before the kids see it to pulling the plug on the evening news, adults are adopting a range of strategies for shielding children from the images of war in Iraq and concern about possible terrorist threats at home. Fortunately, there are many resources on the Web to answer adults' questions about how to help their kids cope, and Connect for Kids has compiled some of the best.
Help

PROTECTING CHILDREN

**School Emergency Planning
In these tense times, information can stem panic and help families and communities be prepared for an emergency. The Department of Education has updated information on biological, chemical and radiological threats, school preparedness and response, and the roles of partnering agencies in the case of a terrorist threat.
http://www.ed.gov/emergencyplan

**Protecting Iraqi Children
Half of Iraq's 24.5 million people are children. UNICEF has provided high-energy biscuits and therapeutic milk to 400,000 malnourished children in a bid to rapidly improve their nutritional status, immunized 500,000 children against measles and polio, and readied thousands of metric tons of emergency relief supplies, including emergency health kits, birthing kits, school-in-a-box kits and water purification units in humanitarian relief efforts in Iraq. Learn more, including how you can help, on the UNICEF Web site.
http://www.unicefusa.org/emergencies/iraq/

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved