The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 148 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#47005 - 11/03/04 04:31 PM Where is our confidence?
Kathryn Offline

Loc: Towson
Psalm 118;8 "It is better to take refuge in the Lord than to put confidence in man". I am desperately seeking refuge on this post election morning. I am seeking comfort from God, reassurance and peace about the changes that are about to occur in my family. I am trying to accept that months and months will pass without seeing my son. I am praying that he will not regret his decision, that he will not feel lost and lonely, that he will make friends and find purpose. My confidence used to be in the Lord, without question. Now I'm just a mess....no confidence whatsoever.

#47006 - 11/03/04 05:29 PM Re: Where is our confidence?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Kathryn,
I want so desperately to tell you that you have nothing to fear, that everything will be just hunkey dorey...I cannot. I use to tell anyone who would listen (and did so proudly) that MY boys would NEVER join a service and fight in a war..that I could not, as a Mother live thru it. I simply couldn't and before that would happen, I would take them both to Canada. I am so ashamed to admit this. But I want you to know what changed my mind and how brave I think your son is...and you as well. I was reading the account of Christ death for the millionth time one day when suddenly the whole story took on a new meaning for me. God sent his son to die for us...Christ Mother watched her only son being crucified. I cried...and I said, "Oh Lord, if you can do this because you love me so much, how can I say I won't do the same thing for my fellow man, if my children CHOOSE to go?" From then on, I knew that if my children made the choice I would be devasted, torn, and so depressed you would have to peel me off the ground. BUT...I also knew that I would stand by them, support them, and help other people who were facing the same thing.

I edited a book this year called, "Women Write the War" by Bee Petersen...in it, women who have husbands, sons, daughters, boyfriends, etc...tell their stories. It is powerful, and mirrors the heartbreak you are experiencing right now. I would be happy to send you my copy to read if you would want to? I would only asked that you return it once you are done.

As I said, I want so much to help, but I am not faced with it. I have both of my boys here at home, safe and sound. So how can I comfort you when you do not? I can only tell you that I'm here, we all care deeply about you and your son, and all you have to do is say the word and we're here to offer whatever support we can. You are much loved. And so is your son. It would be my honor to write to him if you/he would let me. And to write anyone else's son/daughter/husband that is in the service now. Please tell him he has my heartfelt thanks for being so brave and chosing to protect me and everyone else in this country.

Your friend,

JJ

#47007 - 11/03/04 06:29 PM Re: Where is our confidence?
Songbird Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Dear Kathryn: The Lord is our refuge and our strength in time of need.

Although easier said than done, we must not forget that God loves your son much more than you do. As parents we want to protect them from all and any kind of danger. No matter how hard we try, we just can't accomplish that huge task. But when and where we can't protect them, God always CAN [Smile]

Please be assured that I am praying for you and your son. My son has expressed the desire to join also, but has not made a final decision. I just wait upon the Lord. I know it can very well happen.

JJ's example is so true. We wish the best outcome and will be here for you in every way we can. Meanwhile, be proud of him and his decision... for it is commendable. I know your mother's heart is torn. But they make their own choices and we need to put them in God's hands and trust that HE IS IN CONTROL of their lives!

~~~~~~~~

Smilinize, about the CONCERT OF PRAYER-It's basically a time when people get together and agree to pray for specific requests and/or needs.

It was divided in different parts:It started with and explanation of what this kind of activity is.

During each segment there was a short scripture reading or a quote related to prayer and/or what we were going to pray for next. It also included special music and a song where the whole congregation joined in as well as prayer for something specific.

At times we prayed individually, others we sought a partner, groups of 7, etc., depending on what we were praying for.

Although this had never happened in my church and no one was familiar with the term, I wrote the whole program and with the help of our church's music coordinator we were able to have a very spiritual and uplifting Concert of Prayer. The name of God was exalted and we joined in prayer in a way never before seen here.

Many told me that they would really like to see something like this happen once a month or bimonthly. I am thankful to God that it was such a positive experience for all involved.

PS-If any of you are interested, I can gladly write the program in English and pass it on to you.

The enemy of our souls didn't want to let it happen, but by God's grace, and praying for this activity for weeks before the scheduled date, we were able to have it. I got sick too and almost wasn't able to attend it- [Frown] - and I was in charge of it [Roll Eyes] , but the Lord gave me strength and saw me through it all!

#47008 - 11/03/04 06:35 PM Re: Where is our confidence?
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
I only have daughters so I am perhaps unable to understand what it is like to have a son about to become a soldier. I can, however, understand seeking peace in a warlike world and being filled with worry for a child.

For me, it is only when I reach the end of my own ability that I am able to rely on God.
When I am filled with worry and unable to find peace anywhere in life I experience the greatest peace of all.
When no one in the world can comfort me I find the greatest comforter.
When I can not find answers I find the deepest understanding.
And when no one seems to hear me I find the greatest friend. He shows me faith and gives me peace.

There is so little we can do to protect our children in a world full or war and danger. We just have to allow the faith and peace already inside us all to wash over us.
I will be in prayer for you, your son, our country, and our world.
smile

#47009 - 11/03/04 06:40 PM Re: Where is our confidence?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Kath, have you ever seen me at a loss for words? I'm coming over to visit. I know your heart is aching. I want to help. [Wink]

It's so hard to turn our children over to God and leave them in His arms. We have a tendency to keep taking them back. I believe we share this as mothers.

I'm grateful jawjaw, songbird and smile could offer such wise words for you.

[ November 03, 2004, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]

#47010 - 11/03/04 06:46 PM Re: Where is our confidence?
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
My heart is breaking for you Kathryn. I have 2 sons and wow, I dont know what I would do in your shoes.
JJ and Songbird said it best.
Hugs,
Robin

#47011 - 11/04/04 08:19 AM Re: Where is our confidence?
Sher Offline

Loc: Midwest
Bless your heart, Kathryn. I'm thinking of you.

#47012 - 11/05/04 01:40 AM Re: Where is our confidence?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Once again let us hope the thunderous roar of the boomer prayers reach the heavens for God to hear and place a special watch over the sons and daughters of the Boomer mom's out there. I have two sons and both as far as I know are safe and sound. Hopefully President Bush will hurry and bring our children home again...

#47013 - 11/05/04 05:10 AM Re: Where is our confidence?
Claire Offline

Loc: Dublin, Ireland
My heart aches too and of course, I wish no harm upon any soldier of any persuasion BUT I think as a SERIOUS Christian, in all good conscience, it is not acceptable to join an army of any kind. Joining an army (and bear in mind I am from REpublic of Ireland) signifies that you are ready to be trained and ready to KILL in the name of your country. Fine if you don't claim to be a christian(like Bush does) or a true Muslim or any oher religion! It is NOT acceptable to take another life or even to sign up to that possibilty. Myabe if you are conscripted or drafted and have no choice but even then it is something totally against Christianity or Islam or anything else and the more that the leaders of both religions advocate it as being something to defend the religion or the people, the more the world will separate. Who am I to say but I know it will cause big conroversy on this site and yo all might even kick me off. I am so sorry when I know you have children involved in it all, but HOW and WHY would they choose to do that above the importance of bringing peace to the world and I DO NOT BELIEVE that war can bring peace!
Correct me, ladies, if you think I am wrong.
Clairy x

#47014 - 11/05/04 05:01 PM Re: Where is our confidence?
Kathryn Offline

Loc: Towson
Thank each and every one of you for your thoughts and words and prayers. JJ I'm going to go online and buy the book you mentioned. And you know, I'm the very mother who also said, if they impose a draft I'll take them away too! But my son is 19 and believes that he can help to bring peace. He does not relish the idea of combat and hopes to have a position that allows him to help his comrades. But I questioned him about the life and death issue and he answers, in typical young man fashion, that he's prepared to do whatever he must. I do not take offense at the response of my boomer friend from Ireland....Ireland has been dealing w/ death and destruction for centuries...my own grandfather came here as a child w/ his father who was escaping "the troubles" as he called them. What sane person wants war and killing? President Bush stood at the podium the day of his election and looked me and the rest of us straight in the eye and said he would be a good and faithful president, he would make sure that we and our children were safe, he vowed, he promised and as far as I'm concerned that is a covenant...a sacred one from a man who claims to be a man of God. I will hold him to his word. My son, who may well be going off to war, said to me that raising a single voice is pointless as no one in Washington listens. He may be right, but how do we, a powerful lobby in our own right if we choose to be, change that. We need a concerted, national effort of women raising their voices, holding congress and the senate accountable. Make them publish every word of every piece of legislation before it is passed. Let's look at the pork attached to these bills....let's take back representative government and make republicans and democrats represent our point of view, not their damned parties. If I want my son and all of the sons and daughters of America to be safe and free, then I have to exercise my responsibility as a citizen, to speak out, to ask others to join me and to demand representation. I think we americans have become sheep who vote every couple of years and remain quiet in between times. Who will speak for our children and grandchildren if not us. I promise you it will not be men like Dick Cheney or Donald Rumsfeld....they are counting on us to be sheep who allow them to lead our children to the slaughter and never question why. I pray w/ my entire being that George Bush is the man he claims to be....my son's life depends on it.
Love you all!!!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved