The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 172 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#46786 - 01/04/06 04:16 AM Re: Chameleon Christian?
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Again, this is something I struggle with. I am not sure I should have to actually say I am a Christian very often.

I am certainly not ashamed of being a Christian, and if asked I certainly say so, but I feel that I should not have to announce it because I believe it should be evident in my life.

I think I should try to fit in by being accepting of others and allow my life to be my message. I'm certainly not great at that, but I intend to try harder to make my Christianity obvious in everything I do in 2006.

smile

#46787 - 01/04/06 04:20 AM Re: Chameleon Christian?
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I don't recall ever backing away from declaring my belief in God, or watering down my own faith in response to someone else's condemnation or ridicule of my faith. I have always found it very interesting that everywhere I've ever worked, people have "just known" that I was a Christian, even though I rarely ever broadcast my beliefs or morality.

God knows my heart and its ways. He knows my profound love for Him and my life-long genuine desire to love Him with every breath, every choice and in every encounter. I'm not perfect and have strayed down many dusty roads in my life. I'll never be everything He and I have wanted me to be...but that's precisely why I need Him and why His mercy is such an amazing gift.

Yes, I'm a chameleon, sometimes for love, sometimes out of fear. But I know that He loves me, I know that He sees what nobody else sees. I know that He knows me better than any other human will ever come close to knowing me. And with trust in His continuously professed love for me, I too am able to stand before God, painfully aware of my sinfulness, but sure in my heart that we're okay with each other. He knows that despite the evidence of those dusty detours and unwise choices along the way, I've lived just about every possible moment trying to be a better daughter and disciple for Him.

I think it's precisely my experience of His steadfast mercy and unfathomable love that gives me the courage to be more compassionate and understanding of others who struggle along their own dusty detours and mucky patches of unwise choices.

[ January 03, 2006, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: Eagle Heart ]

#46788 - 01/04/06 04:35 AM Re: Chameleon Christian?
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Just wondering what everyone else does in the presence of a certain female "couple" who has chosen an "alternative lifestyle". And, they have a baby!!

#46789 - 01/04/06 05:04 AM Re: Chameleon Christian?
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
I have friends who are similar to what you describe. I am friendly to them and loving to the child. Though I disapprove of their lifestyle, I love the humans they are and they have never asked for my view of their lifestyle. I'm not qaulified to criticize because I'm not perfect either and I don't know their hearts.

What else can a Christian do?

smile

#46790 - 01/04/06 05:26 AM Re: Chameleon Christian?
Eagle Heart Offline

I have several gay male friends, all of whom I knew before they "came out". I loved them before they told me they were gay - and loved them after they told me they were gay, and continue to love, respect and admire them as much (and more) as ever to this day.

When I went through my major breakdown, depression and suicide attempt in the mid-80's, almost every one of my "Christian" friends deserted me, but ALL of my gay friends (all profoundly spiritual Christians as well) stood by me, and they continue to stand by me to this day. I cannot imagine my life without them...my life is infinitely richer for having been graced and blessed by their wisdom, courage, unconditional love and faithful friendships over the past 25-30 years.

I just have to add that since these same friends have shown more concrete examples of God's unconditional love to me personally than most of the other Christian friends in my entire life ever did, I am compelled to believe that God loves me so much that He Himself put these wonderful people into my life to help companion me along my lonely road...which would appear to me to make them acceptable in His eyes, and therefore in mine too.

[ January 03, 2006, 09:36 PM: Message edited by: Eagle Heart ]

#46791 - 01/04/06 05:37 AM Re: Chameleon Christian?
ladybug Offline

Eagleheart, I have two dear friends who are a gay male couple. I donot judge their decision because only God has that right. They too gave me more compassion when my husband had his stroke than a few of my Christian friends. I'm thinking of one couple in particular. They are very religious and good Christians but their silence these many months after my husband's stroke is baffling and hurtful as well.

My former hairdresser says her grandfather hates all Catholics. She told me, "he would hate you even if he doesn't know you simply because you are a Catholic. Now, how ignorant is that?

#46792 - 01/04/06 05:42 AM Re: Chameleon Christian?
Eagle Heart Offline

Ladybug, I'm sorry to hear how your friends seem to have abandoned you since your husband's stroke. That unfortunately has been my experience far too often in my depression-prone life. That kind of silence IS very baffling and hurtful.

Thankfully, I do have a handful of friends who have stood by me through everything. They make it easier to withstand the very real pain of abandonment and incomprehensible intolerance from others who refuse to see the inner giftedness of the person who lives and breathes behind the sometimes faulty-looking outward packaging.

#46793 - 01/04/06 08:45 AM Re: Chameleon Christian?
ladybug Offline

Eagleheart, my best friend struggles with depression. I love her and she knows she can call me anytime to cry on my shoulder. I would never turn her away because of her depression. I feel good when I can talk to her and especially if I know I've helped her just by listening. She also was my pillar of strength. She's an RN and gave me comforting and valuable information after my husband's stroke. She is very committed to her Christian faith. She left the Catholic church which told her that because she is a divorced woman she is not permitted to take communion. This angers me because I've seen known cheating spouses go up and take communion and my friend, who simply by virtue of her divorce is not permitted to.

#46794 - 01/04/06 11:14 AM Re: Chameleon Christian?
norma Offline

Loc: western canada
Eagleheart and Ladybug, your words here are so encouraging to me, not because of those who did the abandoning, but because of those who extended the friendship and kindness....

May i share the following story....
when my youngest daughter was in grade 2, she came home from school one day crying. It was just before easter, and apparently there had been alot of discussion between some of the kids at lunch time and after school (this was a public school) about Jesus, and how important Jesus was and how everyone was suppose to 'accept Jesus'. When asked by some of her friends if she had 'accepted Jesus,' apparently my daughter had said, no, that she was not christian ...

"And mommy, they said, if i wasn't a christian, and didn't want to accept Jesus, they think they cant play with me anymore". Well, my heart broke for her.

But another little girl a year younger, who hadn't been over to play before, had come home with her. Now that little girl came from a very difficult homelife .... but she had come to support my daughter.. and she said ....

"But Mrs. G. i will still play with her, i am not christian either, i'm Catholic"........

Oh, if the world could only be as christian as that little sweetheart.... too young to understand, and yet understanding everything...

Presently, because of a couple of things, i've been discouraged , thanks for reminding me of this bittersweet, but precious moment Eagleheart and Ladybug..

[ January 04, 2006, 03:16 AM: Message edited by: norma ]

#46795 - 01/04/06 07:25 PM Re: Chameleon Christian?
yepthatsme2 Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, Va.
Out of the mouth of babes....how precious.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved