The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 155 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#46776 - 01/03/06 02:40 AM Re: Chameleon Christian?
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
Eagle, I don't think that makes you a chameleon Christian. I, too, am sensitive to others' beliefs and would never force mine on them. I think being a chameleon means you would actually do something that you know is against God's commands to go along with the crowd. I don't see you as doing that.

[ January 02, 2006, 06:41 PM: Message edited by: Bluebird ]

#46777 - 01/03/06 07:38 AM Re: Chameleon Christian?
Songbird Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Eagle, I agree with Bluebird.

#46778 - 01/03/06 08:44 AM Re: Chameleon Christian?
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
I believe becoming a chameleon out of fear and becoming a chameleon out of love are two different things. We have to stand up for what we believe by refusing to do things that we know are wrong, but if we approach people as "hyper Christians" and don't try to fit in, they may be so repulsed as not to hear the message of Christ's of which we are examples.

The "Good News" of Christ's resurrection would probably never reach many of those who need it most if only delivered by 'hyper Christians.'

In some ways Jesus was a chameleon in that He fit into a lot of different groups and because He fit in, he was able to deliver his message to those who needed it most. But he he refused to do something He knew was wrong to save himself from the agony of the Cross. That's love.

smile

[ January 03, 2006, 12:51 AM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

#46779 - 01/03/06 07:59 PM Re: Chameleon Christian?
Songbird Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
I understand being a Chameleon as someone that lowers his/her principles just to fit in, one that goes with the crowd just to avoid being singled out. It's not someone who goes down to the others' level to reach him/her. A chameleon is someone who is just trying to save his own skin.

#46780 - 01/04/06 08:35 AM Re: Chameleon Christian?
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
I guess I'm not really sure what becoming a chameleon means. I see it as being accepting of the culture of others by trying to fit in, but I suppose it is much more complex.

I think the chameleon reptile doesn't change what he is, but changes his appearance to fit in to the environment. I don't really know how I feel about that as it applies to Christians. I guess there's a fine line between being true to what you are and being overbearingly Christian. There must be another line between selling out to society and accepting the culture of others.

It's something I struggle with.

smile

#46781 - 01/04/06 08:51 AM Re: Chameleon Christian?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
smile, that's what I meant by the post. I think it somehow got a little confused along the way.

Eagle, your last paragraph doesn't mean you're a chameleon. It means you are Christ-like. Finding common ground with others to show compassion is exactly what Christ did when he walked the face of this earth. That is to be commended. Judge not, lest we be judged. Also, I believe you always let love guide your behavior. It doesn't get any better than that.

Smile, I like your word - hyper-Christian. I know exactly what you mean. And regrettably, I guess I have been that person on occasion. Always room for change, growth, and the Holy Spirit to whip me into shape.

[ January 03, 2006, 12:54 PM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]

#46782 - 01/04/06 08:53 AM Re: Chameleon Christian?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I wanted to mention (and perhaps I should make this another post) that I appreciate the comraderie of Christians in these forums. I'm certain we all come from different denominations, but have hcrist as our corner stone.

Human leaders and their wisdom should never divide Christians into camps. I'm afraid that happens in my town. We even have camps within our denomination. SAD!

#46783 - 01/04/06 08:56 AM Re: Chameleon Christian?
Bluebird Offline

Loc: Pagosa Springs, Colorado
I'm happy to say that for the most part, the denominations in my town work together. We have a Methodist church across the street from our Catholic one and they run the free lunch but we have it at our parish hall, since they don't have anything big enough. Our priest lets pretty much anyone use it for whatever community service there is.
Division is of the devil...divide and conquer.
I guess he still doesn't know that the gates of hell will never prevail against the church. Maybe he should read a Bible once in a while.

#46784 - 01/03/06 11:28 PM Re: Chameleon Christian?
ladybug Offline

Wasn't one of the children who was killed in the Columbine shooting asked first if she believed in God? She could've said no and maybe survived.

I firmly believe that if more people believed in God, no matter what denomination you are, this would be a far better world.

Dotsie and Bluebird you should never change to please others or to fit in. You only need to look around you at the trouble compromising your religious beliefs can bring you. Your gentle nature is a resulting gift from your religious beliefs. What could ever be wrong with that?

#46785 - 01/04/06 04:01 AM Re: Chameleon Christian?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
To me either your a Christian or you're not. When a Christian you should always behave as one and never run or back away because someone challenges your faith in God. He is the final one, the one we stand before at the end of our days. I condem no one of another religion or faith but when asked what I believe, I must say "I believe in God. I am a Christian." I do not condem societys rituals or silliness but I do avoid them. Christianity to me is a choice as is cold or hot, fat or thin, meat or veges. You must decide for yourself. Just remember our heavenly Father is watching and he is not fooled by chameleon like changings. I believe one can fit in when necessary without compromising her own beliefs and not have to be overbearing and vocal about them....

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved