The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 164 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#42075 - 06/26/05 09:40 PM Finding Time?
Wisdom&Life Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, VA
Hi Boomer Friends,

This is a continuation of another thread I started titled Idea-Greek Isles under Friends Healing Friends.

I came to this section because I felt my question would be relevant here.

Where do you all do your writing, when, and how do you find the time?

I have heard about writer's going to a cabin, hotel room, or some remote place in order to do their writing. Unfortunately, I don't have that option, although that would be lovely.

When my husband and daughter are home, there is just too much noise. When I am alone at home, the dishes, and laundry beckon for me. Not to mention I get driven by distraction. The phone, an unexpected guest comes by, etc. In fact, most of the contents on my site was written after everyone went to bed, and sometimes through the morning. Oh the benefits of menopausal insomnia, LOL!

This is why I was never able to work from home, in fact, when I tried to do that, I ended up going to the library to get some work done. Sitting in my car and using my cell phone was the best way to call clients. Is that an oxymoron or what?

Any suggestions you have for me would really be appreciated.

Thanks a million gals!

Love and Cheers,
Cathi

[ June 26, 2005, 02:41 PM: Message edited by: Optimumsteps ]

#42076 - 06/27/05 06:01 AM Re: Finding Time?
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I don't have much wisdom to impart in this regard, but I had to laugh at your comment about "benefits of menopausal insomnia". I had chronic insomnia for 2-3 years. At first it was intolerable, but then I began to look forward to those long nights, because I found that I was able to use that time for things I didn't seem to have the time or energy to do otherwise...and one of those things was writing. I wrote a LOT of stuff, including much of my book, during those insomniac hours.

Now I rarely suffer from insomnia, and I rarely write anything anymore. I have the time, but the creative energy isn't there. It doesn't bother me because I know when it's time and when there's something in me that needs to be expressed, it will find its way from heart/mind to computer/paper.

But it's an interesting observation, how the insomnia opened the door to such creative (and fun) endeavors that I couldn't seem (and still can't seem) to experience at any other times of the day.

#42077 - 06/27/05 06:35 AM Re: Finding Time?
Wisdom&Life Offline

Thanks Eagle Heart,

I have to agree with you about having something in you that needs to be expressed. We can always find the time to do what our hearts desire. I remember when I was involved in theatre, I would take my script everywhere with me. That way, if I had a few free moments, I would take it and work on my lines.

It worked, I was always the first one to be off book. Also, a pre-menopausal time! LOL

Of course, if someone else here has any kind of tips, please share them with me.

Cheers,
Cathi

#42078 - 06/28/05 07:59 AM Re: Finding Time?
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
I like to go outside very early in the morning and sit before starting my day. I have a notebook and pen on the ledge at all times. If anything comes to mind (and it always does), I jot it down.

I am alone at that time of the day so I have freedom to either write on my computer or a piece of paper. I have a "stuff' box on my comp table full of little notes. I won't get writer's block. All I have to do is pull out a piece, read it and write away. I used to be a night owl and did much of it then at one time. Now I'm an early bird...My times they are a changin' [Wink]

chick

#42079 - 06/27/05 09:17 PM Re: Finding Time?
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I write during the day, because that's the time when I have the house to myself. I prefer not to write when my husband is home; I feel like my attention is too divided.

I also like to have my chores done and my e-mail read before I start to write. It's like a ritual with me.

I write women's fiction novels, so I'm constantly working on the same thing for a long time. I have a goal of a certain number of words every day. And, I meet that goal every day. Sometimes it takes hours to meet it, sometimes it takes less. I try to leave myself at a point in the story where I know what is going to happen next so that when I start the next day I can pick it right up.

#42080 - 06/28/05 01:04 AM Re: Finding Time?
Wisdom&Life Offline

Thanks so much for this input and it does help really it does.

quote:
I have a goal of a certain number of words every day.
This is a method that I forgot about, and it is better. When I think about it, setting aside a certain amount of time can lead to disappointment. However, a certain amount of words a day is sort of in the same line with when I would take my script with me everywhere in case I had an opportunity to work on my lines.

Mega, mega thanks for the priceless suggestions.

Cheers,
Cathi

#42081 - 06/28/05 02:46 AM Re: Finding Time?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Cathi,
I guess I'm the odd man out. I write when it strikes me. However, I do not have family to worry over. Just Trixie and she writes her stuff while I sleep.

I am a morning person, but I've found that my best articles are the ones that come from an inspired or "aha!" moment. Like the woman at McDonalds. I asked for an ice cream cone and she asked me if it was to go or eat there. Yell-O? The difference would be? Was she gonna wrap it up or put it in a sack?

So I wrote it down in my little traveling book (book that goes where I go) and later wrote about it. I'm one of those people who have to be inspired by a look, a conversation, or a scene...

and now my family stops talking when I enter a room. The whimps. JJ

#42082 - 06/28/05 03:44 AM Re: Finding Time?
Sigrid Macdonald Offline

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Cathi,

Sounds as though you have a lot of interruptions at home. That makes it tough. Is there any way for you to go out to a Starbucks or to the library and take your laptop? Maybe you could even go to a park and take a tape recorder or note pad and make observations.

Some of my best work is done out of the house. I'm a very restless person. I just can't get up in the morning and sit down at my computer. I also hate isolation and that's part of the writer's lifestyle. But I love to write and once I get going, I'm fine. In fact, I'm lost. I have no interest in answering the phone, talking to anyone or doing anything besides finishing my piece. But often when I'm blocked, I do need to leave the house and go to one of the aforementioned locations. When people see me sitting in the house, they assume that I'm available; leaving the house solves that problem for me. Moreover, I do a lot of work at night.

I also agree with Vicki. I work very well with goals and schedules. It may not work for everyone but I need to force myself to write a certain amount every day without fail. It doesn't matter if I'm feeling creative or not. Sometimes I feel very dull witted but once I start writing, my imagination kicks in.

Good luck! It's so individual. I'm sure that you will find an arrangement that works for you :-)

Sigrid

#42083 - 06/28/05 03:47 AM Re: Finding Time?
Wisdom&Life Offline

Hi Jawjaw,

First of all, where is the McDonald's article? I tried to find it on your web-site. It sounds like a hoot!!!

Interesting enough, I started to do some writing last night, and the trigger was a photograph of the area that I am going to be writing about. That did inspire me, and I didn't want to forget it.

I did read in a Writer's Digest magazine a few years back that looking at a photograph can practically inspire an entire novel.

I need to take paper and pen with me when I visit my aunt. We have been reminiscingSP) lately and conjuring so many memories. Especially this time of year!

Thanks Again. This is Priceless!

Love and Cheers,
Cathi

#42084 - 06/28/05 05:13 AM Re: Finding Time?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I have always felt the world around me holds all the subject matter I could ever need to be a writer. I don't understand writers block as such because just look around you, whalla so much out there to see and if you write fiction it is like a shopping cart over flowing with delicious ideas... [Cool]

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved