The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 142 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#41355 - 11/06/05 03:34 AM Yikes!!
Evie Offline

Loc: Nipigon, Ontario Canada
I went to my local library today to donate a copy of "Pink Jasper" and put up a poster for my book signing on the 19th. The librarian asked me if I'd like to take part in an "Author's Night" on the 29th - she has 4 other writers giving readings and I'd be the 5th. I have 20 minutes. And there's a wine and cheese afterwards. She said "I didn't know you wrote, I'm glad you came in today"....

OK, so I said Yes before my inner self had much time to think about it, and now I'm freaking out...

I've never done a "reading" before - any tips???

#41356 - 11/06/05 06:13 AM Re: Yikes!!
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Evie, this sounds exciting. I don't have any tips, I just wanted to congratulate you. Can't wait for your update.
chick

#41357 - 11/06/05 06:28 AM Re: Yikes!!
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Yeah, drink the wine AFTER you read.

EVIE! This is soooo exciting! You will be great I know. I saved the email you sent me this morning because it was a Hall of Fame type email. You have it in you hon... you're a sistah... I only wish I could be there!

JJ

#41358 - 11/06/05 06:30 AM Re: Yikes!!
Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Hi Evie, what synchronicity! Excellent promotional work: bringing in a poster and a donated book. You actually have an easy venue. First of all, you won't be alone, so the pressure won't be all on you. Second of all, you get to read, versus having to do public speaking. My tip would be to practice, practice, practice, out loud, or even into a tape recorder. You may need to time yourself. I'd try to find a piece without too much dialogue unless you are a pro at changing tone, inflection, and voice. Readings are great! They are fun, you have a captive audience, and you don't have to memorize. Way to go!

#41359 - 11/06/05 08:21 AM Re: Yikes!!
Evie Offline

JJ - do I have to wait till after for the wine? I'm always so much more verbal after a glass - ok, so maybe waiting is a good idea [Smile] what a hoot it would be if you were here!

Lynnie - thanks for the tips - practicing is a good idea and I will need to sort out exactly what I'm going to read ahead of time - thanks!

#41360 - 11/08/05 04:18 AM Re: Yikes!!
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Evie:

speak up
don't mumble
don't rush
no monotone
breathe

and yeah, all that "practice" stuff!

and breathe [Wink]

#41361 - 11/08/05 04:34 AM Re: Yikes!!
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
You could bring a few Oreo's in your pocket to remind you that you're not alone...we're all going to be there with you in heart and spirit, rooting you on.

Congratulations, Evie! Pink Jasper is such an awesome book, it and you are going to do just fine that night!

#41362 - 11/08/05 06:33 AM Re: Yikes!!
Evie Offline

meredith - thanks for the excellent advice [Smile]

Eagle - I have this vision - it's my turn to read, I stand in front of the admiring crowd (or sit - I have no idea how it will be set up), I open Pink Jasper and start to read, I glance at the crowd and am encouraged by the wide smiles on their faces, a few nudge each other and nod heads - wow! I'm a hit, they love it! Later, I duck into the washroom - a little post reading nerves hitting - and I glance into the mirror, only to discover a front row of teeth completely blackened by Oreo crumbs!!!!! [Eek!] [Eek!] I just couldn't resist eating them in a fit of nerves while waiting my turn [Razz] [Razz]

#41363 - 11/08/05 06:46 AM Re: Yikes!!
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Hey...why not hand out Oreo's before you start reading? Have them on a tray. They will be so grateful they will be captured.

Evie...all kidding aside, you are pretty, smart, and I've talked to you, so I know your soothing and silky-like voice will have them eating out of the palm of your hand. Hmm... put some Oreo's in your hands...what?

I just can't wait to hear how it goes! What ever you do, forget that piece of advice about imaging everyone is naked... how dumb is that? I know the last thing I want on MY mind when I speak to a ladies group is a bunch of estrogen-starved, boomer-age naked women. Ewwwwww.....

JJ

#41364 - 11/08/05 07:04 AM Re: Yikes!!
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Okay, two images here, one of Oreo-encrusted teeth and one of naked, estrogen-starved boomer-age women eating Oreo's out of Evie's hand...I don't know where to go from here, but if I try to go to bed now with these images in my head, I have no hope of having a good night's sleep. I'll either have crummy nightmares or wake my husband up with hysterical giggling...poor guy has to get up and go to work at 4am.

Pleeeze pass the pumpkin cheesecake squares...and ice cream...it's going to be a long night. [Big Grin] (too bad they don't have a smilie with a black tooth)

#41365 - 11/08/05 07:12 AM Re: Yikes!!
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

One time when I was speaking I tripped over some wires getting to the podium. Everyone laughed. I said, "You think that was funny, stick around for my next trick."

Remember this... people are just people. You have something FOR them. They will be grateful for this. Trust me. YOU KNOW THE MATERIAL EVIE. It can ONLY BE a smashing success. I'm 100% sure of it. I'm so sure that I would be willing to bet a week's salary on it. That is.. of course, if I had a job. LOL....

JJ

#41366 - 11/08/05 08:19 AM Re: Yikes!!
Late Bloomer Offline

Loc: Bloomington, Indiana
I was always scared to death of public speaking, but I started doing it at church, where I belonged to a writer's group and also to a lay worship committee which would put on services in the minister's absence. Our local library had an annual "Poets' Night" where anyone who wanted to read could sign up -- so I signed up and went. It was scary at first, but I did it a few times and really started enjoying it. One year I had a bad cold with laryngitis, and I had to ask them to turn the microphone way up for me so I could whisper my poems into it. What a great response I got. I really felt I was among friends.

#41367 - 11/08/05 05:54 PM Re: Yikes!!
Evie Offline

you guys are great, I just about spit my breakfast all over the computer monitor [Smile] (pssst...JJ...NABBW doesn't stand for NAKED Assoc. of Boomer Women....)

#41368 - 11/08/05 06:11 PM Re: Yikes!!
Danita Offline

Loc: Colorado
Or Hugs, hand out hugs.

You know there is a philosopy that if a person doesn't get 5 hugs a day - they get weird (this MIGHT explain some people who come to BWS. sorry. cheap shot. rotfl).

At my parties I toss Hershey hugs at people when they are interacting with me (I hate being a one woman show) Not that I suggest YOU throw hershey hugs at people.

#41369 - 11/09/05 02:43 AM Re: Yikes!!
Pam Kimmell Offline

Loc: Warrenton, Virginia
Evie what fantastic news.....you will be great - I KNOW that you will. PJ has some wonderful material in it so you can feel comfortable with the reading from that perspective and of course you poured your heart into the book so that should bring you confidence! I'm really thrilled for you. Let us know how it goes - I have no doubt you will be wonderful....and I'm NOT just saying that because I'm one of your "Pink Jasper Sisters" !!!

BIG HUGS

#41370 - 12/04/05 11:28 PM Re: Yikes!!
Evie Offline

Thought I would update everyone on how the "Author's Night" went last week.

Of course, I had a real snot-runner of a cold that day, and had been hacking and sneezing all day. My head was stuffed and pounding. By supper time, all I wanted to do was wrap myself around a mug of Neo Citran, but knew if I did that I'd be out cold. Not a good choice.

It was a dark and stormy night......seriously. We were having a snow storm and the wind was howling - even more incentive to go out the door!

I was in the midst of a major inferiority complex, brought on by reading over my pieces and feeling like everyone was going to turn up their noses and laugh (I get this way).

My youngest son decided to join me for the night, only because I told him this other author was going to be there and that's when his interest piqued. We bundled up, shovelled off the car and headed out to the library. I commented that probably no one would come out on a night like this since it was so crappy, and said I thought that to be a good thing since I was so nervous. He leaned over, patted me on the arm and said "Don't worry, I'm there. And you know Jesus will be there". Great, I thought. Wonder if Jesus would mind reading for me??

It was a small crowd, but an appreciative audience. I read third, out of four authors. I read well, and never sneezed once so I managed to get through it. I had a few compliments on the work, and I survived.

And thus ends my first "reading" [Smile]

#41371 - 12/04/05 11:40 PM Re: Yikes!!
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Evie,
What a touching and funny story! I'm so glad that after all of that the evening was a success!
Congrats on making it through your first reading. I know it won't be the last!

#41372 - 12/05/05 12:18 AM Re: Yikes!!
yepthatsme2 Offline

Loc: Fredericksburg, Va.
So touching that your son, was the shinning light that lead you on to a victorious reading.
Sounds as if Jesus was there.

#41373 - 12/05/05 02:38 AM Re: Yikes!!
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Ms E, even thru the cyberwires and space I know of your internal strength, so I'm not one bit surprised to hear everything went fine. I'm so proud of your son, too! Wuhooo!

Today a reading, tomorrow Oprah!

JJ

#41374 - 12/05/05 03:18 AM Re: Yikes!!
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Evie it actually gets easier each time and all of a sudden on of these times you'll have no fear or trepidations at all...honest injun!

#41375 - 12/05/05 03:34 AM Re: Yikes!!
Doctor Karen Offline

Loc: San Francisco
I love being in front of a crowd...it's the arranging to get there that's the problem for me. I congratulate you, Evie, for being able to pitch your book in the first place and finding that opporunity to "read". And how apropos that it was a "dark and stormy night"!

I need to do more of the up close and personal promoting. I've promised myself to start right after the holidays.

On the performing front, my daughter and I are giving our last of six performances for the holiday musical at our church tonight (which we've been rehearsing since September). We've had a sold-out crowd of 134 each night and everyone has loved it. They can't believe how professional a production it turned out to be(thanks to our fabulous director) and how moving the message. Had them all laughing and crying...sometimes at the same time. What a joyous way to start the Advent season. Now...where can I wear those vintage 1905 costumes???

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved