The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 175 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#41355 - 11/06/05 03:34 AM Yikes!!
Evie Offline

Loc: Nipigon, Ontario Canada
I went to my local library today to donate a copy of "Pink Jasper" and put up a poster for my book signing on the 19th. The librarian asked me if I'd like to take part in an "Author's Night" on the 29th - she has 4 other writers giving readings and I'd be the 5th. I have 20 minutes. And there's a wine and cheese afterwards. She said "I didn't know you wrote, I'm glad you came in today"....

OK, so I said Yes before my inner self had much time to think about it, and now I'm freaking out...

I've never done a "reading" before - any tips???

#41356 - 11/06/05 06:13 AM Re: Yikes!!
chickadee Offline

Loc: Alabama
Evie, this sounds exciting. I don't have any tips, I just wanted to congratulate you. Can't wait for your update.
chick

#41357 - 11/06/05 06:28 AM Re: Yikes!!
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Yeah, drink the wine AFTER you read.

EVIE! This is soooo exciting! You will be great I know. I saved the email you sent me this morning because it was a Hall of Fame type email. You have it in you hon... you're a sistah... I only wish I could be there!

JJ

#41358 - 11/06/05 06:30 AM Re: Yikes!!
Happy Birthday Princess Lenora Offline

Loc: Colorado
Hi Evie, what synchronicity! Excellent promotional work: bringing in a poster and a donated book. You actually have an easy venue. First of all, you won't be alone, so the pressure won't be all on you. Second of all, you get to read, versus having to do public speaking. My tip would be to practice, practice, practice, out loud, or even into a tape recorder. You may need to time yourself. I'd try to find a piece without too much dialogue unless you are a pro at changing tone, inflection, and voice. Readings are great! They are fun, you have a captive audience, and you don't have to memorize. Way to go!

#41359 - 11/06/05 08:21 AM Re: Yikes!!
Evie Offline

JJ - do I have to wait till after for the wine? I'm always so much more verbal after a glass - ok, so maybe waiting is a good idea [Smile] what a hoot it would be if you were here!

Lynnie - thanks for the tips - practicing is a good idea and I will need to sort out exactly what I'm going to read ahead of time - thanks!

#41360 - 11/08/05 04:18 AM Re: Yikes!!
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Evie:

speak up
don't mumble
don't rush
no monotone
breathe

and yeah, all that "practice" stuff!

and breathe [Wink]

#41361 - 11/08/05 04:34 AM Re: Yikes!!
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
You could bring a few Oreo's in your pocket to remind you that you're not alone...we're all going to be there with you in heart and spirit, rooting you on.

Congratulations, Evie! Pink Jasper is such an awesome book, it and you are going to do just fine that night!

#41362 - 11/08/05 06:33 AM Re: Yikes!!
Evie Offline

meredith - thanks for the excellent advice [Smile]

Eagle - I have this vision - it's my turn to read, I stand in front of the admiring crowd (or sit - I have no idea how it will be set up), I open Pink Jasper and start to read, I glance at the crowd and am encouraged by the wide smiles on their faces, a few nudge each other and nod heads - wow! I'm a hit, they love it! Later, I duck into the washroom - a little post reading nerves hitting - and I glance into the mirror, only to discover a front row of teeth completely blackened by Oreo crumbs!!!!! [Eek!] [Eek!] I just couldn't resist eating them in a fit of nerves while waiting my turn [Razz] [Razz]

#41363 - 11/08/05 06:46 AM Re: Yikes!!
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Hey...why not hand out Oreo's before you start reading? Have them on a tray. They will be so grateful they will be captured.

Evie...all kidding aside, you are pretty, smart, and I've talked to you, so I know your soothing and silky-like voice will have them eating out of the palm of your hand. Hmm... put some Oreo's in your hands...what?

I just can't wait to hear how it goes! What ever you do, forget that piece of advice about imaging everyone is naked... how dumb is that? I know the last thing I want on MY mind when I speak to a ladies group is a bunch of estrogen-starved, boomer-age naked women. Ewwwwww.....

JJ

#41364 - 11/08/05 07:04 AM Re: Yikes!!
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
Okay, two images here, one of Oreo-encrusted teeth and one of naked, estrogen-starved boomer-age women eating Oreo's out of Evie's hand...I don't know where to go from here, but if I try to go to bed now with these images in my head, I have no hope of having a good night's sleep. I'll either have crummy nightmares or wake my husband up with hysterical giggling...poor guy has to get up and go to work at 4am.

Pleeeze pass the pumpkin cheesecake squares...and ice cream...it's going to be a long night. [Big Grin] (too bad they don't have a smilie with a black tooth)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved