The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 199 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#40828 - 03/28/06 07:04 PM "The Work"
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
Dear Boomers,
Has anyone read Byron Katie's "Loving What Is" or worked her revolutionary process called "The Work"?

Prayers 'n blessings,
brose [Confused]

#40829 - 03/28/06 07:47 PM Re: "The Work"
Casey Offline

Loc: Aptos, California
Hi Brose,
I have read the follow up book -- I Need Your Love, Is That True? I've also used "The Work" to a degree in my coaching practice. Sometimes it works, but frequently people resist the questions! LOL!

What is your experience?

#40830 - 04/01/06 02:20 AM Re: "The Work"
jabber Offline

Dear Casey,
I've only read the first 100 pages of "Loving What Is" but the idea of turning around tormenting thoughts is very appealing. The mind plays tricks that we can do without and be much happier for it.
After I've finished the read, I'll get back to you. I was just hoping I could be assured I wasn't wasting precious time.
Thanks.
Prayers 'n blessings
Brose [Razz]

[ March 31, 2006, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: bonnierose333 ]

#40831 - 04/03/06 02:42 AM Re: "The Work"
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I haven't heard of these. I'm heading to Amazon to check them out. Thanks.

#40832 - 04/09/06 01:05 AM Re: "The Work"
jabber Offline

Dear Casey and Dotsie,
I'm a couple hundred pages into "Loving What Is," now. It seems 2 me that this method is more 4 snuffing out imaginary monsters rather than humanity's actual devils. When real, heartless people are the basic problem, there's nothing to turnaround; the stonewall your head is hitting against already is "What Is"! But Byron Katie's
idea is great, if simply reversing unproven thoughts.
What say U?

#40833 - 04/09/06 04:57 AM Re: "The Work"
Casey Offline

Lucille,
Yes, I understand what you are saying. I don't think Katie means to be attacking devils in the larger sense. My feeling is that she wants us to be sure of the truth before we do anything drastic. So it's really checking in and checking in that we are living by reality as it exists now, or are we living in our story. I use this method when someone I am coaching is "stuck" in their story. They can't get past their particular view of reality, but they must get past it in order to grow.

It can also help us be really clear in our communication with others. I was first taught this when I was having issues with my sister. In the process, I realized I had never clearly laid out what the issues were with her. I had constructed a whole personna around her based on little input from her. Now, we aren't buddy buddy, but since I clearly laid it out in a letter to her, we are back to communicating.

However, no matter how much I were to use this method with my alcoholic ex-husband -- he's still an active alcoholic and I'm glad he's the ex-.

Am I making sense?

#40834 - 04/15/06 12:34 AM Re: "The Work"
jabber Offline

Dear Casey,
I don't know who Lucille is, but I like Byron's simple, straight-to-the-point approach. I believe self-inquiry, self-realization, and turnaround will prove to be helpful. I also think univestigated stories unnecessarily and repeatedly fester old wounds. So, I guess "The Katie" book is time-worthy.
If you don't mind me asking, "What do you coach?"
Ciao,
Brose

#40835 - 04/15/06 05:19 AM Re: "The Work"
Casey Offline

Brose,
I have to laugh! I looked up briefly for your name and your tag line wraps around on my computer. The result is that Arlyne Lucille's last name is right at the bottom! Sorry about that!

I couch people (primarily women) who are ready to reconnect with their source wisdom and claim their power whereever they aren't using it fully. It could be in a relationship, at work, with children, with themselves, or even with the world at large. Part of this, of course, is telling the truth about what's really going on, which is where Byron's work comes in handy.

And I totally agree that people get stuck in their story. It's a significant part of the coaching process for me (and what makes coaching so different from therapy) to move them off of that story and forward.

Thanks for asking!

#40836 - 04/16/06 08:58 PM Re: "The Work"
jabber Offline

Dear Casey,
I finished reading Katie's book, "Loving What Is"; and, I plan to reread it. What I got out of it, is that we should stay in the (NOW) and not let our thinking rehash the past or borrow trouble from the future. I agree that I probably won't do "The Work" to the degree of writing everything down. But perhaps if I catch myself dwelling on the negative, I'll mentally ask those 4 questions and turn it around.
Byron's views remind me of Dr. Norman Vincent Peale's, "Power of Positive Thinking" booklets and sermons.
Ciao,
B. Rose

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved