The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 147 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#38310 - 08/29/04 02:37 AM Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
Ah, I believe it was Freddie (Boom-Boom) Cannon, (from Revere, Massachusetts) sang about "way down yonder in New Orleans." That's where she got it. [Cool]
Louisa

#38311 - 08/29/04 03:16 AM Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
ahhhh...thank you Ms L! I'm so glad to know I'm not totally crazy...notice I said totally, k?

...that tune has been going on in my head over and over but I couldn't think of the guy's name. I remember it well, don't you? I especially liked the part where he says, "You STOP! You better give that lady fair...a little smile." And the drums are beating in the background...member? I may have the words mixed up...

#38312 - 08/29/04 08:04 PM Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I'm lost with all this Southern talk. No help here! But I will say you all/ch'all/y'all(however you spell it) are crazy! [Razz] And...it's great *seeing* smile back to her old tricks!

Now about this agent and publicist...

Prill, you mentioned passion! Amen to that! When you believe in something it comes across in your writing and voice.

Everything I read says to write whatever you're passionate about. I believe it with my heart and soul.

I'm passionate about boomer women sharing our stories to encourage and support one another. I believe we're all here to help one another in every way we can.

The first time I spoke with my agent she commented on the passion in my voice. When she connected me with Brian at PTA(PR firm) he said the same thing.

When I asked him why he wanted to represent me, he said that he liked my enthusiasm/spirit and project. He said I represented it well.

I only share this to point out the importance of not being shy about our passions. We are our best advocates and if we aren't excited about what we're writing about, no one else will be either. [Wink]

Thanks for sharing Prill.

#38313 - 08/29/04 10:35 PM Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Okay, JJ, Louisa may be right about that 'way down yonder' stuff. I mean she got a whole state named for her for heaven's sake. But I bet that Boom Boom Freddie guy stole 'way down yonder' from Woody.

On to Dots,
The word "Enthusiasm" in your post reminded me of something. I once wrote grants for a large university. The bored academic types all made fun of me for being so enthusiastic for whatever project I was working on at the time. Well, I was young and trying to fit in and so I decided to try to curb my enthusiasm. But first, I decided to look it up in an Oxford Dictionary. It wasn't the definition that surprised me. It was the derivation.
The 'En' part of enthusiasm comes is from the Latin suffix for 'inside' and the 'iasm' part is from the latin for 'showing or exhibiting'. But the most important part of the word is the 'thus' part which comes from 'Theos' which is the term for God. Therefore the word "Enthusiasm" literally means "Showing God Inside."
Hey, who doesn't want more of that? Let's DO IT!!
smile

[ August 29, 2004, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

#38314 - 08/29/04 11:39 PM Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers
Louisa Offline

Come on Smile, you don't remember Freddy Cannon? Palisades Park, Tallahassee Lassie, Way Down Yonder in New Orleans, Abigail Beecher? American Bandstand? [Frown]

He grew up in my hometown. I hung around with his cousin and got to meet him when he visited her. I took his cigarette butts out of the ashtray when he left. I was going to keep them forever, but I hid them in my jewelry box and my mother found them. She thought I was smoking and threw them out. [Roll Eyes]

I have a funny Chubby Checker story too if anyone's interested. [Smile]

Don't get me started. [Big Grin]
Louisa

#38315 - 08/30/04 01:32 AM Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I for one would love to hear about Chubby Checker. I met him several times when I was Head of Security here in Las Vegas at "Joseph Magnins the Store of The Stars." He came in with his mother and his wife and bought them both long mink coats, it was winter time. All the *stars* use to come into Magnins while here in Vegas because it was the only store that had a Gucci shop at the time, it was he most expensive store in this town, right on the strip next to the Desert Inn. Boy could I tell you some stories about the 2 years I worked there. Yikes... [Wink]

#38316 - 08/30/04 02:37 AM Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Okay you guys, I know Chubby, but I must have slept through Freddie, Maybe it's alzheimers.

Chatty, selling mink coats must have been hard for you with your love for animals. The things we have to do to make money.
smile

#38317 - 08/30/04 04:11 AM Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers
Louisa Offline

There's something to write about, Chatty. I would have loved working there. [Smile]

We go to Disneyworld twice a year now that we have the vacation club. Chubby was at the American Pavillion in Nov. 2002. I guess he does the same week every year. Well, I was only going to go and take his picture and leave. I got caught up in the crowd and twisting in the aisle and the whole bit. I took a ton of photos and added old Chubby to my website. A few months later, my sister told me she heard on the news that he died. I felt terrible and thought I must have some of the last pictures taken of him.

Last November, I felt bad knowing he wouldn't be there. We were walking by the Pavillion and his name was posted. I thought that was a terrible mistake. I stopped a guy who works there and asked him if Chubby Checker was supposed to be there. He said, "yes." "But my sister told me he died months ago. I thought he was dead," I told the poor guy.

"I hope he's alive madam," he said. "I'm in charge of the show and I can't do the Twist."

My husband was embarrassed, of course. I was happy to hear he was alive and went back that night for yet another twist fest. I took more pictures. Now I have more pictures of Chubby Checker than I'll ever need. I called my sister the next morning and told her he was alive and still twisting. We found out later it was someone who had been in his group for many years that died. God willing, I'll see him this November too. [Cool]

Louisa

#38318 - 08/31/04 02:20 PM Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers
Sher Offline

Loc: Midwest
Hello ladies,

I've been reading this post, absorbing every word. (Well, almost every word.)

As some of you know, I have been absent from the boards so that I might endulge in a big old pity party. A mean and nasty editor sucked the wind right out of my sails and I just couldn't write a word. Actually, still can't. When I sit down to write, I stare at my computer screen and think about how "unfunny" I am.

Prill, I am anxious to get your book. I plan on ordering it this week. It isn't just that I want to read it, but rather at this point I feel like I have to. I need to hear the stories these women have to tell. At forty, I've had that sinking feeling for the last week or so that I am all I will ever be.... and that thought just kills me.

I know writer's should have thick skin, but I think my skin is wearing a little thin in places. I'm hoping your book will light a fire under my behind, so to speak.

And BTW.... some of you lovely Boomer ladies sent me some very encouraging email. You've been lovely and thoughtful and when I say I am blessed to have found this website, it's not just empty words. You all truly make this place like a cyber kitchen table!

Love to you....

#38319 - 08/31/04 03:13 PM Re: Book for Late-Blooming Readers & Writers
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Welcome home dear girl. I've been praying you would return and here you are...

I still think we should send Bubba & Earl to pay that editor a little visit...they could take Scooter, their pet Racoon...he don't play, capice?

Look, if anybody knows funny, it's me...Lord knows I've been working at it for a kazillion years and GIRL...YOU'RE FUNNY. I wish you weren't cause you are REAL FUNNY and like I need the competition? puleaseee. So, take it from me, you've got the gift.

Putting that all aside, you don't have to stay away from the boards when you are hurting or down. That's what we're here for hon...it's what we do. Friends healing friends. And we are here for you.

Cyberhugs,
[Big Grin]
JJ

Page 5 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved