The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 196 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#37642 - 03/25/04 01:52 PM Poetry Anyone????
Pam Kimmell Offline

Loc: Warrenton, Virginia
Hi All....

Just wanted to post a note about a new poetry publisher - Sun Rising Poetry Press - and the opportunity for those of you who write poetry to get your work published. A good friend of mine just had her first poetry collection published through them and they did a great job (got my copy yesterday!) with it - especially the cover design.

Anyway, I volunteered to help collect contributions for one several anthologies they are putting together at this time for publication....the one I'm working on contains poetry about "lessons learned in life" and is titled "Cosmic Brownies". If you have written some poetry that might fit the bill, just check out the "Cosmic Brownies" page on Sun Rising Poetry Press' website at:

http://www.sun-rising-poetry.com/cosmic.htm

We'd love to give you a chance to "strut your stuff" !! [Wink] [Wink]

Pam

#37643 - 03/25/04 10:55 PM Re: Poetry Anyone????
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Pamela, I am submitting a poem today and who knows it might make the book. Thanks for the information.... [Razz]

#37644 - 03/26/04 12:17 AM Re: Poetry Anyone????
Pam Kimmell Offline

[Big Grin] Charlene! Great.....that's wonderful...the more the merrier. So many of us have jotted down a poem or two about life or a lesson we have learned along our path - I'd love to include them in this anthology....I'll look for your poem to make its way to me thru Run Rising.

Pam [Smile] [Smile]

#37645 - 03/26/04 01:36 AM Re: Poetry Anyone????
Julie Offline

Loc: Australia
Pam, I've emailed a poem, but I wasn't really sure if it would suit the anthology...some more info on what you are looking for might be helpful?

#37646 - 03/26/04 01:39 PM Re: Poetry Anyone????
Pam Kimmell Offline

Julie....I received your poem last night - it was a lovely spiritual piece that I believe fits in the "life's lessons learned" category - which is the theme of "Cosmic Brownies". The work that I've received so far tells of things we have learned in our lives that have guided us, disappointed us, enriched us, caused us pain or joy....your piece was a joyful expression of the beauty you have found in the world by just opening yourself UP to it - as far as I'm concerned, that is indeed a "life lesson learned".

The publisher has "sketchy" details on the website...which I think is leaving the door open to a wide interpretation of what she calls "life's lessons learned".....there are three other anthologies being assembled as well with different themes. This publisher has been around for a long time but only in the last few months have they decided to publish poetry collections - apparently the first few books they've printed (which were initially offered as ebooks) have done very well. A dear friend of mine, Anastasia Clark, has three books coming out from this publisher.

Thanks again for sending me your work Julie! It is a beautiful poem.
[Smile] [Smile]
Pam

#37647 - 04/10/04 02:15 AM Re: Poetry Anyone????
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Do you want submissions as inline text or as attachments?

#37648 - 04/10/04 11:46 PM Re: Poetry Anyone????
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
Pamela will we be notified if our poem has been accepted for the book? Did you see mine yet, its about being overweight and the pain that entales called Fat Girls Lament... [Frown]

#37649 - 04/16/04 11:44 PM Re: Poetry Anyone????
Pam Kimmell Offline

Ladies! Sorry I'm so late in coming back to this topic to see if there were any other postings...first of all Chatty I haven't seen your poem yet...if you wish, you can mail it directly to me - I think the publisher has been overwhelmed with submissions and considering they just opened a book store TOO, she's way behind forwarding stuff to me. Just send it to junekimm@aol.com - and Meredith, you can either attach or include in the text of your email your poetry.

Garrie - I have yours and I thank you for sending them! Wonderful work... [Wink]

I'm still looking for more material for the collection girls so step right up!! Anything that deals with the little lessons we learn in life - good/bad/ugly - doesn't matter...I'd be happy to consider them for "Cosmic Brownies"....AND you get a copy of the anthology when it's printed as "payment" for contributing too - I don't think I mentioned that earlier...

Thanks again ladies....you are all so talented!

Pam [Wink] [Wink]

#37651 - 04/17/04 01:02 PM Re: Poetry Anyone????
Pam Kimmell Offline

Great! Thanks for letting everyone know....the more the merrier!

Pam [Big Grin]

#37652 - 04/25/04 01:04 PM Re: Poetry Anyone????
Pam Kimmell Offline

Hi Ladies! Just posting a bit of an update here.....my BIG thanks to those of you who have sent me poetry for "Cosmic Brownies"...you gals are SOOO talented. I was very pleased to receive your work....

Anybody else who is interested (by the way chatty I haven't received yours yet??!!!).....we are still taking submissions.... [Smile]

#37653 - 04/25/04 03:25 PM Re: Poetry Anyone????
DonnaJ Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
Hi, Pam. I'm interested. I write a lot of children's slice of life poetry, so I'll have to change my mind-set. lol!

Donna

Hi again! I've got something headed your way. [Big Grin] Hope it's a good fit.

[ April 27, 2004, 10:28 PM: Message edited by: DonnaJ ]

#37654 - 04/28/04 12:34 PM Re: Poetry Anyone????
Pam Kimmell Offline

I got it Donna! Thanks so much for sharing your work with me.....I'll gladly include that little gem in the collection for Sun Rising.

[Wink] [Wink] [Wink]

#37655 - 04/28/04 04:47 PM Re: Poetry Anyone????
DonnaJ Offline

Thank you, Pam. I'm honored to be included and I can't wait to read the other Boomer Women's poems, too! [Big Grin]

Donna

#37657 - 07/02/04 04:37 PM Re: Poetry Anyone????
DonnaJ Offline

Hi, Pam! I know you've been super-swamped with your new book (Congrats, again!). Have you heard any more about "Cosmic Brownies"? The site still indicates the project is open for submissions. Is that true?

Hope it's going well!

Thanks!- Donna
www.devotionalsbydonna.blogspot.com

#37658 - 07/02/04 05:29 PM Re: Poetry Anyone????
Songbird Offline

Loc: Massachusetts, USA
Hi Pam: Am I still in time to submit! [Confused] I have a couple of poems that might be useful.

#37659 - 07/02/04 05:57 PM Re: Poetry Anyone????
Pam Kimmell Offline

Hi Donna and Songbird!

Cosmic Brownies is coming along very nicely - we need about 20 more poems before the publisher will consider it "complete" for printing....SO, I'd welcome more submissions from you poets out there!!! [Razz]

You can send them to me thru the link on Sun Rising Poetry Press OR directly to my email at junekimm@aol.com.

The press is doing quite well...lots of things planned for printing this summer and they have opened up a storefront in their "hometown" of St. Joseph, Missouri. This has been a fun project to help them with....I've met a lot of very talented and nice poets/writers. Those of you who don't want to read back at the beginning of this post - I'm just a "volunteer" editor for the Sun Rising folks - they needed help organizing some anthologies so I stepped up - it's a brand new division of Sun Publishing and doing very well.

So - send in your poems if they express something about "life's lessons learned" - which is the theme of "Cosmic Brownies".
[Big Grin]

#37660 - 07/03/04 01:02 AM Re: Poetry Anyone????
Songbird Offline

How nice of you to volunteer! I'll be sending some ASAP! Thanks!

#37661 - 07/03/04 02:28 PM Re: Poetry Anyone????
Pam Kimmell Offline

Great Songbird....I'll be looking for them....you can submit up to FOUR poems for each of the anthologies Sun is putting together.

There are a number of Boomer Women who have work that will appear in "Cosmic Brownies" - those of you who HAVE - thanks again and hang in there - it won't be long before Sun will be printing it I'm sure.

#37662 - 07/03/04 05:42 PM Re: Poetry Anyone????
DonnaJ Offline

Hi, Pam. Thanks for the update! That will be so much fun for us Boomers that are included when it comes out! Perhaps we'll have to start a round robin thorugh the mail to get all our poems autographed! LOL!

Talk to you soon!

Donna
www.devotionalsbydonna.blogspot.com

#37663 - 07/05/04 06:16 AM Re: Poetry Anyone????
Songbird Offline

Hi Pam: I emailed you a few poems. "See" you around!

#37664 - 07/05/04 12:41 PM Re: Poetry Anyone????
Pam Kimmell Offline

Hi Songbird! I received your beautiful poems and sent you back an email this morning....thanks for the contributions to the anthology.....with some luck, we will see it in print before the summer is over. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Cool] [Cool]

#37665 - 07/05/04 02:33 PM Re: Poetry Anyone????
Songbird Offline

Great! Pam,I will send you the info needed tonight or tomorrow, as I am on my way out today! Have a wonderful day!

#37666 - 07/07/04 02:10 AM Re: Poetry Anyone????
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Pam,

I juist sent emails to 8 of my poet friends whose work I think is suited for your book!

#37667 - 07/13/04 08:16 PM Re: Poetry Anyone????
Stormy Offline

Loc: Manchester, NH
Hi.. Thanks for the info..I need to get my poems typed so I can submit them. I think I have a couple that would fit. One's a child writing about the abuse she suffers with an alcoholic mom.The Teddy Bear.and a daughter who is being abused.

Pam..I'm interested in your book. Could I get a copy from amazon?

Thanks

#37668 - 07/13/04 08:32 PM Re: Poetry Anyone????
Songbird Offline

Pam, what are the topics of the other anthologies, do you know? We might be able to contribute too!

#37669 - 07/14/04 01:46 AM Re: Poetry Anyone????
Pam Kimmell Offline

Hi Stormy! Yes - my book is available from Amazon, Barnes & Noble.com, BooksAMillion.com, - well ALL of the online bookstores in fact. Just type in the title "The Mystery of David's Bridge" and VOILA! [Big Grin]

Songbird - Sun Rising has FOUR anthologies being put together right now with four different volunteer editors working on each. One of them is complete and no longer accepting material, but the others are open as far as I know. Their "themes" are Mythology, Metaphysical, and of course the one I'm involved with - Life's Lessons Learned. [Smile]

Just visit the website and scroll down until you see the "covers" for each collection, and you can see who the editor is for the collection....contact them either thru their web link (if it's posted like mine was) OR, thru Sun Rising.

GOOD LUCK! [Wink]

#37670 - 07/14/04 01:47 AM Re: Poetry Anyone????
Pam Kimmell Offline

Meredith - thanks so much for telling your friends about "Cosmic Brownies" - I received some wonderful work from three of them.

I appreciate that VERY much! [Wink]

#37671 - 07/20/04 07:55 AM Re: Poetry Anyone????
Stormy Offline

Loc: Manchester, NH
Just stopping in to say "hi"...Sure is lousy weather here. Rain, rain and more rain. Had a great Saturday going up the coast from Hampton to Rye into Maine. My friend and I stopped and had "lobstah and claim chowda."

Anyway..I checked with Barnes and Nobles and Amazon for Pam's book ,"The Mystery of David's Bridge."
code:

Now, I have to go and buy it asap :-)..Pam. [Big Grin] I'll add my review to their websites and a few others.

Have a great week :-)

#37672 - 07/19/04 10:14 PM Re: Poetry Anyone????
Toni Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Pam,

I love writing poetry and will check out this site this afternoon or evening. Thank you so much!

#37673 - 07/20/04 12:05 AM Re: Poetry Anyone????
Pam Kimmell Offline

That's great Toni - We can use more poetry...Sun's publisher has just told me she'd like to see at least 150 poems if possible in the anthology which means I need MORE!!!

Thanks a bunch......I think this will be a wonderful collection when it's finally published.

#37674 - 07/20/04 03:15 AM Re: Poetry Anyone????
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Hi Pam,

As you know, I sent the call for poems out to 8 individuals one at a time because I couldn't figure out how to do it via bulk mailing. Well, I just figured it. I put all the info into a word document and pasted it into an email.

Since some of the folks on my list also have extensive mailing lists, this effectively has just reached at least 200 more people.

#37675 - 07/20/04 01:04 PM Re: Poetry Anyone????
Pam Kimmell Offline

Thanks so much Meredith! You are a doll....Your friends are sending me some really wonderful work. I very much appreciate the help in getting the word out. I posted an ad on Writers-World (again) last week and I'm starting to get some response from that as well. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

THANKS AGAIN Meredith...... [Wink]

#37676 - 07/20/04 04:39 PM Re: Poetry Anyone????
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Way to network ladies! [Big Grin]

#37677 - 07/20/04 11:26 PM Re: Poetry Anyone????
Pam Kimmell Offline

Indeed Dotsie....the Boomer Network Motto: "Women Helping Women Helping Women" a TRUE daisy chain of caring.

[Cool]

#37678 - 07/21/04 01:57 AM Re: Poetry Anyone????
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Just happy to be able to help however I can! [Smile]

For the record -- for ANYONE in the Forum -- I run poetry programs and many of the people on my mailing list also run programs, or edit poetry publications. If everyone on my list daisy chains the email, 200 people recieving it is a LOW estimate!! [Cool]

-- so if you need poetry submissions (not children's and not faith-based. I think that's another "circle") email me directly with the particulars and I'll get the word out. [Big Grin]

#37679 - 09/14/04 06:37 AM Re: Poetry Anyone????
Julie Offline

Loc: Australia
Any update on Cosmic Brownies, Pam?

#37680 - 09/14/04 02:11 PM Re: Poetry Anyone????
Pam Kimmell Offline

Hi Ladies....a bit of an update on "Cosmic Brownies"....I have 132 poems now collected for the anthology. The publisher wanted 150 but I sent her a note last night "suggesting" (!!) that perhaps we might just go ahead and put this baby to bed (so to speak) because I personally would like to see the anthology printed and "out there" before the holidays. I haven't heard back from her yet but I'm hopeful she will TAKE THE HINT.

I know it seems like FOREVER since those of you who have participated/contributed sent in your work for this anthology - but these things take time to come together I guess. "Cosmic Brownies" was one of four anthologies that were being put together. The anthologies were in addition to a number of other poetry collections from authors that they were working on. Of course I think (tee hee) that "Cosmic Brownies" should have PRIORITY - but hey - who am I????????? [Confused]

Hang in there ladies...hopefully we are rounding the final corner and "Brownies" will be available SOONER rather than LATER. [Wink]

#37681 - 09/14/04 04:59 PM Re: Poetry Anyone????
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Pam, I hear ya about the time it takes to put together anthologies!

By now I could have had the book finished, but what's taking so long is the positioning and "platform" building that publishers require.

Who is putting those anthologies together? Do they have a website?

#37682 - 09/14/04 11:51 PM Re: Poetry Anyone????
Pam Kimmell Offline

Amen Dotsie! Yes indeedy....most of MY job to this point has just been accepting/rejecting contributions (which isn't always easy of course). Now I'm to put a Table of Contents together and try to categorize the poetry - waiting now to get the publisher's "vision" for that!

This is a division of Sun Books called Sun Rising Poetry Press. They are going great guns - probably growing too fast too since they seem to have bitten off a bit more than they can comfortably chew right now. They are doing books, collections, anthologies, chapbooks - but because they STARTED with poetry, and because there were so few publishers concentrating on poetry - they have been overwhelmed with projects.

You can visit them at http://www.sun-rising-poetry.com/

Julie pointed out to me in an email today that Maya Angelou is listed as a contributor for the collection I've been working on - I can only assume she sent something directly to the publisher OR we've gotten her permission to do a reprint of something. Pretty neat!!
[Big Grin]

#37683 - 09/15/04 12:36 AM Re: Poetry Anyone????
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
Pam, I emailed them with some questions about a poetry book. I don't think any of poems would quite fit into the Cosmic Brownies. My stuff is mostly nostalgic or baby boomer related. At least my newer poetry. My older poetry, which might have to do with lessons I've learned are rhyming poems. [Confused]
Louisa

#37684 - 09/15/04 11:46 PM Re: Poetry Anyone????
Pam Kimmell Offline

Good luck with Sun Louisa....they are SOOOO busy it may be a while before you hear from them so don't get discouraged.

Personally I LOVE rhyming poems....I love poetry PERIOD, but when I write poetry it's usually rhyming...just a preference I guess. [Wink]

#37685 - 09/16/04 01:43 AM Re: Poetry Anyone????
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Louisa,
You might also want to join their forum board. The publisher DOES frequent that area and answers questions, so if you DO get discouraged, you could post something there????

Just a suggestion. The link is:

http://p081.ezboard.com/bthesunrisingpoetryplace

JJ

#37686 - 09/16/04 02:08 AM Re: Poetry Anyone????
Louisa Offline

Thanks, jj. I'll try the link.
My writing group is on our second anthology since May. In fact, it came out today. It's called Trail Blazers. In this one, there are I believe, 10 writers. We all contribute. Our teacher puts it together on the pc, edits, I proof and edit some more, then it goes to the printer. This time we had 175 copies printed out, perfect bound, color cover, 100 pages. I won't see it until tomorrow. [Frown] In it, I have two stories and 4 poems. [Smile]

It is a collection of short stories, poetry and essays. This time we are targeting local libraries. (Our last one got into one library) We have a few book nights planned. I'm going to cover one in October since the teacher can't be there that night.

It's a lot of work. We stay fairly local, except for the ones I sent all over the place on the first book [Big Grin]

I plan to do my book the same way, only in Word instead of Publisher. By the way, can anyone tell me how the heck to get the page numbers in without it starting on the cover? I can usually do anything on the pc, but this baffles me. [Confused]

I'll take it to the same printer and then market it the same way. Unless, I find a traditional printer first that wants to publish it. But, self-publishers are very expensive.

How does everyone else do it?

Louisa

#37687 - 09/16/04 02:17 AM Re: Poetry Anyone????
Louisa Offline

jj- congrats on the new column!! [Smile]
Louisa

#37688 - 09/16/04 02:22 AM Re: Poetry Anyone????
Evie Offline

Loc: Nipigon, Ontario Canada
Louisa
If you just want page #'s and no footer text: create your page break by: Insert, Break, and under Section Breaks, select "Next Page" then from the top of that Page:Insert, Page Number, Format, and under Page Numbering select "start at" and type in "1"

this will also work with a footer, if you make sure that the type of "break" you've created is a "next page" break by using the Insert, Break function (instead of just letting Word automatically create the page break)

#37689 - 09/16/04 03:18 AM Re: Poetry Anyone????
Louisa Offline

Thanks, Evie. [Smile] I'll try it. Will it work if I already have half the book in or do I have to start a whole new document?
Louisa

#37690 - 09/16/04 03:37 AM Re: Poetry Anyone????
Evie Offline

Loc: Nipigon, Ontario Canada
It should work within your existing document as long as you create a Section break where you want to start the #ing.....however, if you don't have a whole lot of formatting already done, you might find it easier to cut and paste into a new document [Smile]

(I've spent several hours fooling around with getting that #ing "just right" when I was creating my poetry book - it can be very frustrating [Mad] )

#37691 - 09/16/04 04:53 AM Re: Poetry Anyone????
Louisa Offline

I do have half the book in there already, but it might be better to start over and cut and paste. I tried to do it and I still have the "1" coming out on the cover. Maybe I should do the cover as a separate document?? I can't believe I can't do this. The computer is like part of my fingers. I'm the one everyone comes to at work for stuff. But I never use page breaks. I use headers and footers with my newspaper articles and do the numbering fine, but I start at the beginning and they are only 2 pages. I don't want to have to number the pages manually. [Eek!] I'll try this on the weekend when I'm more alert. [Smile]

Louisa

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved