The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 161 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#37215 - 09/05/03 07:07 AM Patience!
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
One virtue writers must have is patience! Waiting to hear back about queries and proposals can be painstaking especially if we have high hopes.

What we do during the waiting period is key to our future success. I know I've had times when I've obsess over the mailbox button while waiting to hear back fror someone. All I do is drive myself CRAZY.

I've found it's much better to stay focused on the next article, story (whatever the task may be), leave the mailbox alone, and then be pleasantly surprised when I do hear something. Sounds like it should be easy, but it takes work to be disciplined!

#37216 - 09/04/03 10:05 PM Re: Patience!
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Dotsie,
I couldn't agree more with what you have said. While I was reading your post, I was thinking to myself that what I do when waiting on a response is to busy myself with another, new article. Come to find out, you do the same thing. My sons say I have tons of patience, because I haven't used any. Good grief...Everybody's a comedian. [Roll Eyes]

Staying busy and UNFOCUSING on your expected response is most definetly a crucial point to make. Have you ever tried to watch a pot of water come to a boil? You can grow old and ugly before it happens. I know...tried it and got older...not ugly...hey, I'm the Queen. I don't do ugly. [Wink]

Anyhoo...After submitting a piece for approval/response, I thank the good Lord above for allowing me to write.

Next, I sit quietly and remind myself WHY I write in the first place and mentally go over my goals, hopes, and dreams for the future. Sometimes I even re-write my goals because priorities do change.

Reaffirming my belief in myself helps to increase my faith in my writing abilities and self-acceptance. It just makes me feel good about it, you know?

I have one more thing I do. If I get a rejection, I

1) Put a curse on who ever sent it, and
2) Write another piece immediately.

Rejection either inspires you, or delfates you. I choose door #1. Hope this helps someone else! [Razz]

#37217 - 09/05/03 01:55 AM Re: Patience!
Evie Offline

Loc: Nipigon, Ontario Canada
Thanks for the tips on patience - I've been known to check my email waaaayyyy too many times when waiting to hear back on something - thats when you really don't appreciate spam!!! (if its even possible to appreciate spam in the first place) [Razz] Good reminder about keeping working on the next project while you wait too [Smile]

#37218 - 09/05/03 03:57 AM Re: Patience!
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Evie,
You a writer? Forgive me but I am still wet behind the ears with some names around here. Plus I'm old and forget things. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.

I love to meet other writers and share experiences. If you are, what do you write if I might ask?

#37219 - 09/05/03 04:14 PM Re: Patience!
Evie Offline

hi jawjaw,
I'm new to the forum (just joined last week) also I'm a newbie, beginning writer [Razz] I've just really gotten into over the last year or so. I write and edit my church's newsletter -that's sort of where I got started. I've been taking a writing course, and am just now starting to try and get something published, somewhere [Smile] I write poetry and devotionals - my biggest accomplishment to date has been winning the Sowing Seeds of Faith poetry contest this year.

I was just mulling this patience thing over this morning, and thinking that one of the things I try and remind myself of are the reasons why I want to write. Getting published is a good goal, but I don't think it should be my main goal. I started writing with the goal of putting out a quality newsletter that people in my church would get something out of. As long as I'm doing that, then I'm accomplishing something. The other stuff will come eventually (I hope).

I also try to not start comparing myself to others - there are just soooo many good writers out there!!!! I remind myself that I will find my niche somewhere and God will use that where it is needed most [Smile]

#37220 - 09/05/03 06:48 PM Re: Patience!
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Evie,
I think what you are doing has all the makings of a great writer. Ever thought about writing a devotional and/or inspiring NEWSLETTER for the world? You could send it out to everyone that signed up for it. I know I would.

Just a thought.

#37221 - 09/05/03 06:55 PM Re: Patience!
Maggie Offline

Loc: Oregon
Hi Evie
Congratulations on winning the writing contest.
It sounds to me like you are a great writer. I love to read inspirational and devotional stories.
Will be looking for yours.
Maggie

#37222 - 09/05/03 08:01 PM Re: Patience!
Evie Offline

You guys are great, positive inspiration boosters, thanks! [Big Grin]

Doing a website of some sort is definitely on my future projects lists, I like your idea jawjaw and am really going to think about that - I've done them before, so I know I could do it - just have to clear the time to work on it.

I'll certainly let you know when I do though!

#37223 - 09/05/03 08:50 PM Re: Patience!
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Ms. E,
I'm happy to hear you say you will think about it. No doubt you CAN. No doubt. If I can help in any way, count me in. There are places you can get free web sites, or if you want, others that have a small fee. I built my website in one weekend, and let me tell ya, if I can do it, anybody can. There again, you probably all know HOW! HA! Anyhoo...if you need any help, just let me know.

#37224 - 09/05/03 09:47 PM Re: Patience!
Evie Offline

thanks,jawjaw [Smile]

When its up and running, you will definitely be asked to check out and give me feedback!

Cooming soon to a website near you - although I think Christmas will come sooner right now [Razz]

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved