The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 119 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#37169 - 02/07/03 06:31 AM Style Books
Candice Johnson Offline

Loc: Alexandria, VA
I was wondering if any writers out there had an opinion on style books? Do you use one? Several? Do you only check a few things? Do you think their too rigid?

I use Strunk and White's "Elements of Style" I find it provides good guidance on the rules of language and structure without restrictions, plus it is easier to read than some of the others.

Any thoughts?

#37170 - 02/07/03 06:53 PM Re: Style Books
countrygirl51 Offline

Loc: Clifton, Ks. USA
I sometimes refer to style books when I run into a problem in my writing, but I do not use them for the entire piece. Since my writing comes basically from the heart, I find it easier to just write as it comes, then let it sit for a few days and review it and edit later.
When I use style books, my writing seems more stilted and forced. Often my best stories are those that just write themselves from a single opening line. Its like a pilot that flies "by the seat of his pants." It can be dangerous, but it is less mechanical and a lot more fun.
Now if I were writing nonfiction, I would probably be more organized and use a style book for that type of writing, but most of my writing is either journaling, essay, poetry or fiction.

#37171 - 02/12/03 09:58 PM Re: Style Books
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I use the Chicago Manual of Style. I grew up being taught that format, and it just kind of stuck with me.

When I was a technical writer, my documentation style guides reflected the Chicago Manual of Syle format.

I guess ya just stick with what ya know.

However, that said, even with all the grammar and sentence structure rules, so long as you know them and understand them, that's enough for most writers. It's okay to break the rules now and then; most writers do.

Don't make your writing any harder than it has to be. You don't to stifle the creative muse.

[ February 25, 2003, 07:17 PM: Message edited by: Vicki M. Taylor ]

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved