The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 186 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#37150 - 01/09/03 08:08 AM I'm an author of Women's Fiction
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Hi Everyone!

I write dramatic women's fiction and I'd be very happy to answer questions about writing.... from the query letter, to the synopsis, to even questions about writing the book.

don't be shy, just ask away!

[ January 08, 2003, 12:09 PM: Message edited by: Vicki M. Taylor ]

#37151 - 01/24/03 06:11 AM Re: I'm an author of Women's Fiction
lionspaaw Offline

Loc: SW Florida
What's the first step? Do you find a publisher and see what they want or do you write a book and try to find a publisher? Do you find an editor or will a publisher do the editing if they like the bulk of the book?

Thanks ;-)

#37152 - 01/24/03 07:48 AM Re: I'm an author of Women's Fiction
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

first step is to write your book. Then, once it's written, find someone you trust who can edit it. Another author, a critique partner, etc. Then, once you've polished your manuscript, you'll want to do one of a couple of things, or both. Send query letters to publishers who accept unagented queries and queries to agents. If you query an agent, what you're asking is for them to take you on as a client and then they help you find a publisher.

Usually, publishers will edit also, but you must send them as clean a manuscript as possible after they've asked to see it.

For a first time author, you must have your manuscript finished first. No publisher will take you on without it finished. They can't afford that kind of investment.

I hope that helps.

#37153 - 01/24/03 07:25 PM Re: I'm an author of Women's Fiction
lionspaaw Offline

That helps alot -- Thanks ;-)

I kinda figured that was the process.

Since my writing preference is poetry -- and I have several spiral notebooks full -- I guess I should get busy transferring them to Microsoft Word huh. I think what's been stopping me is not knowing if I should write about life stories and use the poetry to "accentuate" the point or just try to get the poems published.

Any opinion?

Thanks ;-)

#37154 - 01/25/03 12:20 AM Re: I'm an author of Women's Fiction
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

I've never tried to get a book of poetry published, but I hear that it can be quite difficult. There are only specific publishers who will even solicit poetry writers, so you must do your homework and find them.

If the poetry is very pivotal to the life stories you'd like to write, I think that it would make a great addition and would be very unique. It just might be what you need to catch a publisher's eye.

#37155 - 01/25/03 04:20 AM Re: I'm an author of Women's Fiction
lionspaaw Offline

I guess I'll never know until I try then huh ;-)

Any suggestions on finding a good publisher? I don't want to get burned by getting involved with a "shady" publisher. Or better yet, any suggestions of a good resource to get info about the whole process?

I really appreciate all your help on this ;-)

#37156 - 01/25/03 05:14 AM Re: I'm an author of Women's Fiction
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

One of the best resources I can suggest is The Writer's Market. It's chock full of information on literary agents, publishers, magazines, contests, etc. It gives you addresses, e-mail addresses, websites, phone numbers and more including specific editorial needs and submission guidelines.

You can find out more information by going to http://www.writersmarket.com

#37157 - 01/25/03 05:31 AM Re: I'm an author of Women's Fiction
lionspaaw Offline

Thanks -- I will check it out tomorrow when I have a few minutes -- and your website too ;-)

#37158 - 01/27/03 04:50 PM Re: I'm an author of Women's Fiction
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
You may also want to check out this site:
www.freelancing1.homestead.com/

Kimberly Ripley is the host of the site. She has great information about freelancing later in life. It is worth your while to subscribe to her online newsletter too. By the way, she wrote a story that has been accepted for boomerwomenspeak!

Also, another great site is,
www.naww.org. This is the site for the National Association of Women Writers. I have found the founder and members to be extremely encouraging and supportive! I am a proud member of this association.

#37159 - 01/27/03 09:24 PM Re: I'm an author of Women's Fiction
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

good info Dotsie. There are a lot of good sites around run by people who really want to help writers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved