The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 137 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#36783 - 05/05/05 10:00 PM Wiser Weeding
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
This is our fifth flower garden season. My greatest pleasure comes from having a great profusion of colours and shapes in the garden, so up until now, I've been experimenting with different plants and colours. Which makes for a colourful garden, but makes it difficult to remember and recognize anything from one year to the next.

One of our ongoing problems is being able to tell the weeds from upcoming flowers...I lost count of how many beautiful plants hubby has uprooted in his zealous attempt to help me with the weeding. I'm much more open to waiting and seeing what develops before tugging them out, but he can't seem to stop himself from pulling everything out once he gets started. (There are also a few bushes which won't flower because they need old growth, and he keeps cutting them down to the ground every spring, except this year.) This year, I forbade him to cut or weed until further notice.

I don't suppose there's any simple "rule-of-thumb" way to tell a weed from an unfamiliar flower in the early stages of growth? Is it just a matter of getting to know one's garden and recognizing what's supposed to be there and what's not?

#36784 - 05/05/05 10:34 PM Re: Wiser Weeding
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Eagle Heart
I have the same problem since I moved into a new house in a new state, some of the plants are different here. I think you just need to let some of everything grow and see what comes up. Thats what I did. This year I know what the leaves look like on the flowers. The only rule I know is that, Anything growing where you don't want it to be growing, is a weed!

#36785 - 05/05/05 11:52 PM Re: Wiser Weeding
Eagle Heart Offline

quote:
Originally posted by TVC15:
Anything growing where you don't want it to be growing, is a weed!

Except for the stuff the squirrels steal from other people's gardens and plant in mine...over the years I've found some very strange (but beautiful) plants growing where I didn't plant them! I've also lost some of mine...I just hope that it all evens out in the end!

#36786 - 05/06/05 07:09 AM Re: Wiser Weeding
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I don't feel perfection has a place in a garden. Let things come up where they may and get rid of the nasties later. If the squirels plant something and its beautiful why is that a problem? To me a garden is like a watched pot that doesn't boil. Let it go, watch, water and nurture it and you will be amazed how easy it is to get rid of the weeds....Enjoy, relax... [Wink]

#36787 - 05/07/05 07:15 AM Re: Wiser Weeding
Eagle Heart Offline

Chatty, that is exactly my viewpoint (but not hubby's)...if we had the space, I'd scatter hundreds of flower seeds all over the lawn and just watch what blooms. I love colour, variety, surprises...

The only thing I worry about in regard to the squirrels planting stuff is that the owners of those plants might think we snuck over in the middle of the night and dug them up (someone tried to pull one of our new rose bushes out the other night). That's why I hope it all evens out in the end, that the squirrels are taking some of my stuff over to their gardens too!

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved