The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 111 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#36578 - 09/23/04 04:42 PM What kind of Collectibles do you keep?
TVC15 Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I was wondering if any of you ladies keep any collectibles?

I started collecting Picture Discs, (record albums that have pictures on them, some are odd shaped) back in the 1980's and thanks to e-bay have resumed my collecting over the last few years. I mostly collect the ones of David Bowie (I love him as some of you may have noticed from my screen name) but I have a lot of others as well.

Just recently I jumped on the vintage halloween postcard bandwagon. I absolutely adore Halloween decorations (even more than christmas, believe it or not) and when I read about them realized that it was something I'd really have some fun with. The old style pictures are great and some of them have really cute poems on them. It's so interesting to read some of the inscriptions that people wrote almost 100 years ago.

I like the ones that have witches on them. I guess that says a lot about my personality! (HeeHeeHee)

#36579 - 09/23/04 05:14 PM Re: What kind of Collectibles do you keep?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Girl...I should don myself the Queen of Collectibles....I use to dabble in antiques, had a booth, etc...so I collected everything. Interestingly enough, the Halloween stuff caught on a few years back and now the prices have skyrocketed. If you can find any of the pumpkins made out of the papermache, grab them if they are reasonable. You can always sell them at ridiculous prices.

I stick mainly with collecting old quilts and I've even stopped doing that as it is very expensive, and I have too many as it is. I also love Salesman Samples. I love those things. I also love (but can't afford) vintage doll houses. I have one, but have already sold it. Now I wish I hadn't of done that! Duh...

JJ

#36580 - 09/23/04 08:55 PM Re: What kind of Collectibles do you keep?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I must be boring. I don't collect a darn thing. [Embarrassed]

Oh, how about books? Does that count? [Wink]

#36581 - 09/23/04 09:01 PM Re: What kind of Collectibles do you keep?
TVC15 Offline

Jawjaw
What kind of salesmans samples? Gadgets with Logo's on them? Sounds very interesting. The quilts must be lovely. The stuff I collect is flat, easy to store, because I never have enough closet space. Don't be upset, I'm sure you're going to find an even better dollhouse along the way!
Dotsie,
Of course books count! When we moved I had to get rid of a lot of the books I was saving, I regret that.

#36582 - 09/24/04 02:45 AM Re: What kind of Collectibles do you keep?
Julie Offline

Loc: Australia
blue glass - botttles, glasses, vases, whatever

books - of course!

old china and silver

anything old that takes my fancy [Big Grin]

#36583 - 09/24/04 08:21 AM Re: What kind of Collectibles do you keep?
WizardofZA Offline

Loc: Scottsdale, AZ
Elephants...started that in high school, but have sort of tapered off lately. For many years I bought one in each country we visited.

Now I try to buy a Christmas ornament from every place we go; it's a nice souvenir that reminds me of our travels every time I decorate the tree.

I also have a fairly large collection of Deparment 56 houses, specifically the Dickens Village. And I've started each of my daughter's on their own collections; one has Christmas in the City and the other one has Santa's Village. We love them!

#36584 - 09/24/04 02:04 PM Re: What kind of Collectibles do you keep?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

The Salesman Samples I have, or like vary. I have a Derby hat and hatbox..both are just precious. I'm like Julie. Anything old catches my eye. 1940ish and back. Old hats, quilts as I said, REDWORK (I love this stuff but can't afford it), vintage clothing..etc...But I will say that about the only thing I collect nowadays is dust. Writing really takes up most of my time and I have all but quit junkin'

JJ

#36585 - 09/24/04 03:11 PM Re: What kind of Collectibles do you keep?
TVC15 Offline

JJ, I have lots of dust too!
I went looking for a book on the halloween postcards yesterday and came across one on the Vintage halloween items you mentioned. Really cool stuff!
I only have one Dept. 56 house, I'm not sure of its name but it is one from the Scrooge collection and there are little people inside that dance. I love it! Maybe this year I'll get another, they really are beautiful. A little expensive, but worth it.

#36586 - 09/26/04 01:29 PM Re: What kind of Collectibles do you keep?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Loc: Nevada
I collect hand blown tiny glass statues, glass bottles and stained glass figurines that light up and vintage tin cans. I also have some antique jewelry my sister left me. Mostly I collect dust because they all certainly do, hahaha! [Big Grin]

#36587 - 09/26/04 06:32 PM Re: What kind of Collectibles do you keep?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

On Friday I had a opportunity to go antiquing for about an hour. I thought of all of you while I browsed. The friend I was with collects salt and pepper shakers. She has near a thousand. She purchased, I browsed! It was great fun seeing objects that littered my childhood home...selling for a fortune. One Barbie lunchbag was over $400.00! [Eek!]

Have fun collecting!

#36588 - 09/27/04 03:03 AM Re: What kind of Collectibles do you keep?
Louisa Offline

Loc: MA
I have a collection of Snow Babies - Department 56. The last couple of years I started displaying them in my china closet at Christmas. I cleared out the middle shelf and displayed them there during the holiday season. It kept them safe from little visitors and since the cabinet lights up, it is a nice place for them. Last year, I left them up so this year, I don't have to drag them out and do all that. [Smile]

I used to collect depression glass. Had over 300 pieces but sold most of and kept only my favorite pieces. Now I only have a few.

I also collect the Disney limoge boxes made by Lenox. The Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs set. I pick one up every time I go. I almost have all of them.

I used to do dollhouses years ago. I miss it. Haven't got the room now. My girlfriends and I made miniatures for inside.
Louisa

#36589 - 09/27/04 03:05 AM Re: What kind of Collectibles do you keep?
Louisa Offline

I forgot - Annalee dolls. Mostly Christmas ones - a lot of Santas. Also have quite a few elephants.

No wonder we can't move around here. [Big Grin]
Louisa

#36590 - 09/27/04 06:35 AM Re: What kind of Collectibles do you keep?
DonnaJ Offline

Loc: Ohio, USA
Bells - all kinds, glass, china, bisque

Heart boxes - some with matching bells [Smile]

Angels - I like the Seraphim ones, but I also have crystal ones, too, and I just bought two more at Sams Club that are china, and bee-you-tiful!

Oh, and of course, diamonds and gold. Teehee! That I get the most use out of!

#36591 - 09/27/04 02:08 PM Re: What kind of Collectibles do you keep?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Ladies you aren't going to believe this one but I read it in a legitimate magazine about hobbies. Have you ever said, "you wished you could find something to do with the lint from the dryer?" I have. Someone has come up with an idea. They take brightly colored celophane paper and roll dryer lint up inside then tie the ends so it looks like a party popper. You place them in a glass bowl near the fireplace and use them as fire starters, or fuel. I guess they burn well and safely without smoke. I think I've heard everything now. Christmas is coming so save your lint!!! [Roll Eyes]

#36592 - 09/27/04 02:47 PM Re: What kind of Collectibles do you keep?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Chatty....is that what you called giving up an idea for Lint? [Razz]

hahahahahahah....Lord, that's funny! hahaha...I should write humor...teeheeahhahaha....
[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
JJ

#36593 - 09/27/04 03:57 PM Re: What kind of Collectibles do you keep?
TVC15 Offline

jawjaw,
You crack me up!

#36594 - 09/28/04 07:33 AM Re: What kind of Collectibles do you keep?
chickadee Offline

I think we need to save our dryer lint and stuff our old panty hose with it. The next time there's an oil spill we can join all our pantyhose together and soak up some of that nasty stuff.
Hmmmm...patent pending.

#36595 - 09/27/04 08:03 PM Re: What kind of Collectibles do you keep?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

panty hose? what's that? Girl...you better be dead and in a casket if you want me to put those things on again....I HATE PANTY HOSE.

I doubt very seriously if I even own a pair....now trouser socks, I have every color and texture known to women...down here in the deep South we wear sandles with our dresses (is that RED or what?) and when someone dies, we put on the PH...

Winter? No prob...just don't wear a dress...
If you die in the winter, well that's just down right inconsiderate.

JJ

#36596 - 09/27/04 09:52 PM Re: What kind of Collectibles do you keep?
TVC15 Offline

Thanks for the lesson JJ, as a transplanted yankee, I can use all the southern tips I can get!
As far as pantyhose are concerned I much prefer to wear pants!

#36597 - 09/28/04 02:34 AM Re: What kind of Collectibles do you keep?
Louisa Offline

Like a bowl of lintels? Or a barrel of lint monkeys. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Would it work with dust bunnies, I wonder ?? [Confused]

Man, some people never throw anything away. And I thought I was a pack rat. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] Saving my lint?? I'm doing good if I remember to clean it out of the dryer. [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
Louisa

#36598 - 09/28/04 03:13 AM Re: What kind of Collectibles do you keep?
Thistle Cove Farm Offline

Loc: Tazewell County, VA, USA
A circular came in the mail this week; an advertisement for an auction. I saw MY STUFF in this auction...I mean I have and use almost everything they were going to auction. Someone, someday is going to be *very* pleasantly surprised when they inherit my "stuff".

Unless it's my family and they said, "OMIGOSH, how could Sissie have kept this JUNK????"

Someone came to the farm a few weeks ago and kept talking about "your antiques". I finally asked them what they meant and they started naming the apple butter kettle, the Hoosier cabinet, the blah, blah, blah.

Funny. I use that stuff; didn't realize they were antiques and worth a lot of money.

#36599 - 10/26/04 10:53 PM Re: What kind of Collectibles do you keep?
Elsielc Offline

Loc: Orange County, CA
How fun to see what everyone else collects! The lint thing kinda thru me - you never know what you can reuse.

Selling Avon for almost 20 years, I started collecting the old Avon bottles. Anything that's earlier than 1975.

Believe it or not, but my latest collection is the old olive green and gold accessories from the 60's! Mainly glassware and other pieces from that era. I also have pink/blue glassware/ceramics from the 50's. Love the depression glass.

I also have a heart collection, the Halloween collection is diminishing - just enough to put in the front window. But the Christmas Collection is out of control. I probably have 25 boxes of stuff. That will be sorted out this year.

I'm trying to find a coop antique store where I can start to sell off some of this stuff. After clearing out dead relatives houses I have the start of any collection imaginable!

#36600 - 10/26/04 11:41 PM Re: What kind of Collectibles do you keep?
TVC15 Offline

Elsie,
your glassware collection sounds wonderful. I was collecting salt & pepper shakers for a while. I still have some. They were fun to collect. I may go back to them sometime. Your home must look fabulous for christmas with all that stuff. I moved recently and got rid of a lot. But the new house is bigger so I'm sure eventually I'll have too much [Smile]

#36601 - 10/27/04 02:27 AM Re: What kind of Collectibles do you keep?
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I collect Teddy Bears. I have hundreds and hundreds of them. And they collect a lot of dust.

What else do I collect? How about unfinished projects! [Big Grin] [Eek!] [Big Grin]

#36602 - 10/28/04 03:03 AM Re: What kind of Collectibles do you keep?
Sadie Offline

Loc: MD
Well, I have a lot of 33 1/3 records here that I have collected from the 1960's and some old post cards from friends. I have matchs or match boxes . I have a small had blown glass collection also. In my Curio cabinet . I have a lot of Fostoria glass where . That my husband is from Moundsville, W.VA where the Fostoria factory use to be and not anymore. I got a lot when we were first married and has turned up here in Clearing House store. The Clearing hOuse is a second hand shop. I have picked up Lenox there real cheap.

I think that is all. I am not sure what to do with all these records. Anyone have any ideas!

Nancy

#36603 - 10/28/04 08:39 PM Re: What kind of Collectibles do you keep?
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Sell your records on ebay.

#36604 - 11/01/04 04:47 PM Re: What kind of Collectibles do you keep?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Nancy, have a vinyl party. Listen to the oldies. A friend did it months ago. We reminisced all evening. Some of us married our high school sweethearts so it was a real blast. And some of us didn't. Spouses were hearing tales they'd never heard before. [Eek!] Go for it!

#36605 - 11/29/04 05:12 PM Re: What kind of Collectibles do you keep?
Misfire Offline

BC ... when my husband and I used to travel to exotic beaches every year, we collected sand from each beach in a film cannister. When we got home, I put the sand into a clear coin holder and labeled it. It was fun to look at the different colors of sand and remember the trips. We still have the sand collection but it's stored away safely in a box ... somewhere.

Misfire

#36606 - 11/29/04 09:28 PM Re: What kind of Collectibles do you keep?
Sher Offline

Loc: Midwest
What do I collect??? It would probably be better to tell you what I don't collect as I am a bit of a pack rat.

First of all, my collection of ex-husbands is one of the world's largest. I'd love to take my collection on the road and sell tickets, but the men keep crawling out of their glass cases.

My true love is anything and everything from the 40's and 50's. My Maw-Maw's house was always wall to wall in those kinds of things, so now I find them comforting. Everything from magazines to pottery to postcards litters my entire house.

I have a large collection of angels that I never meant to acquire. They just keep winding up here somehow.

I'm just beginning to collect twenty dollar bills... the new ones. So, if any of you would like to help get me started, send them my way. [Wink]

JJ, I feel ya. I HATE panty hose, too.

#36607 - 11/29/04 10:36 PM Re: What kind of Collectibles do you keep?
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
I say I don't collect anything in order to discourage my family from buying me things they think I am collecting. Actually I think I am a lunatic collector.
I collect things til I get so much of it I can't stand another piece then I start something else.

I have a couple dozen celebrity dolls, a bunch of Lennox fairytale figurines, several Louie Icart figurines, a couple of his paintings, a gillion old records, a ton of blue glass, every monkey thing known to man, dozens of piano rolls (for my antique player piano), a whole bunch of various types of horns, about fifty crystal bells, dozens of sets of dishes, a closet full of vintage clothing, tons of vintage jewelry, and hundreds of antique eye glasses and sunglasses. Then of course there are my puppets and theie theater and my other theater junk which includes, lights, sound, sets, costumes and props.
Fortunately I have lots of storage space and a five car garage.
However, I am now in the mood to UNLOAD all of this JUNK!!! I'm trying to figure out ebay. I am sick of storing this stuff. My kids say they love it, but they don't really want it. They just want me to have it.
Good-bye junk.

#36608 - 11/29/04 11:00 PM Re: What kind of Collectibles do you keep?
Sher Offline

Loc: Midwest
Smile,
I have some free how-to info about eBay on Mom & Her Money. I used to make pretty good money with eBay and it sure sounds like you've got plenty to sell!

#36609 - 11/30/04 04:34 AM Re: What kind of Collectibles do you keep?
chatty lady Offline
Writer

Sher I just came back from Mom and Her Money site, cool....Are you in the contest? I put this one into my favorites, thanks. [Razz]

#36610 - 11/30/04 05:01 AM Re: What kind of Collectibles do you keep?
angelsmuse Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Well it is finally the season for my collectibles to come out of their boxes. I collect Santa Clauses and I have lost count of how many I have. Christmas is the only season when I can have them out because otherwise there would be no place for my kids. Hmm that might be a thought. The Santa Claus's are better behaved than the kids and they only need dusted every once in a while. I might have to think about it before I put them away in January. Kids-vs-Santas, a hard choice. I also collect teapots but I don't have as many of them and can leave them out all year except at Christmas.

Chris(angel) [Big Grin]

#36611 - 11/30/04 07:12 PM Re: What kind of Collectibles do you keep?
Dianne Offline
Queen of Shoes

Loc: Arizona
This is fascinating. I collect snow globes from the places I've visited and the wooden villages...or whatever you call them. I put them above my office door. Do you understand what I'm talking about?

I also have a travel clock from 1920 and a top hat box, complete with the top hat. The man was from CA who owned it as his name is on the inside of his traveling hat box. They sure had small heads back then.

I brought a snow globe home from Paris and my husband knocked it off the counter, shattering it into little pieces. Have to buy another one on my next trip to see my sister. Kind of a pain to carry it on the plane tho.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved