The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 170 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#36361 - 10/09/03 04:07 PM what interests you?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Another post in here (when I was asking Meredithbead to tell us EVERYTHING she does) sparked the idea for this post.

Anyone interested in sharing what you do in your free time?

I'll go first:

When I'm not working I'm with my family first and foremost.

My hubby is off Wednesdays and we try to spend most of the day together while the kids are at school. [Big Grin]

I typically have a house full of teenagers that I feed, talk with, truck around town to skate parks, malls, movies, etc. I watch soccer games and swim meets. I miss seeing my older son play his sports now that he is in college!

Then I spend time with my Dad and my older sister.

I spend time with my/our friends.

I love people and enjoy having them to our house. I like to feed people too!

I enjoy connecting people that I believe can serve one another in some way.

I read the Bible, journal, and pray daily. I believe firmly in self improvement.

I love to walk, read, garden, and take hot baths.

I enjoy cooking/baking and taking care of my home. I don't like doing laundry or emptying the dish washer!

I attend a weekly prayer group, another weekly non-denominational group study, and a book study with my husband on Sunday morning. I go to church each week.

I am on the PTA Board at my daughter's school and do what I'm asked to do... for the most part.

While I do what I can to help with youth at church, I must confess that I just gave up the Sunday school superintendent job. Now I do whatever I can to help our Director of Christian Ed in other ways. I love youth and have offered to lead a 6:30 am Bible study during the week, but I'm still waiting to hear on that. I'm passionate about sharing my faith with kids. They need it so badly in today's world.

My favorite recent project that came to an end last spring was convincing Baltimore County to put in free skate parks for our youth. I chaired the committee for two and a half years and the kids now have three wonderful parks to skate! The county spent $750,000.00 on these parks. I loved working with the kids on the commmittee. They were awesome!

That's about what I spend my time doing. I feel funny talking about myself so much, but I think it's a good thing for us to share what we are up to! [Big Grin]

[ October 09, 2003, 09:08 AM: Message edited by: Dotsie ]

#36362 - 10/09/03 06:42 PM Re: what interests you?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Spare time? what's that? ha!

Let's see...you know I write whenever I get spare time, so I guess that is my biggee...

I also do a lot of research for future articles

I absolutely LOVE jigsaw puzzles and they have always been a part of my life. I worked them, glue them, frame them, then give them away as a gift and also give them to charities such as "Safe Place" and other places that have shelters for children. I try to choose theme puzzles like Mickey Mouse, Amy Geddes that would appeal to children. I do a lot of Elivs, Marilyn Monroe, James Dean, etc. for others.

I volunteer for things like United Way (am on that chair now) and Alzheimers Association and National Children's Advocacy (I am very active in this one).

I send cards to alot of older women I know who are shut in and try to think of people who don't have many close contacts and would be surprised to get a card. This is fun and very rewarding! Try it.

I jounal a lot. I also try to think of creative things to get involve in or create. My mind is never still. Thank goodness!

I read, read, read...five books going on now. I haven't even gotten our Book Club book yet...ouch!

I come here...for friendship, support, give support, and hugs...

I work on my secret project...pay me and I'll tell you about it. Okay...I'll give you the name...Ride N Read...that's it. The rest will cost you. Just joshing...when it's done, you will be the first to know.

I read the Bible and seek to know HIM better and closer...this is the most important thing going on in my life, now and forever!

Hugs and blessing to all... [Big Grin]

#36363 - 10/09/03 08:41 PM Re: what interests you?
Evie Offline

Loc: Nipigon, Ontario Canada
Hmmm....let's see......

I write for/edit/and produce my church's newsletter.

I'm taking a writing course, so I work on that when I can.

I attend church every Sunday - I'm on the Altar Guild so about once a month its my turn to set up and clean. I'm also a Eucharistic Assistant so I help serve communion.

I try to read my Bible daily and right now am working through Beth Moore's online bible study "Living Beyond Yourself".

In the summer I poke around in my garden, and love to sit outside on my deck by my pond.

I love to read and have a stack of books to get through.

I have two boys, one's 10 and one's 14, Mr. Night and Mr. Day as far as personalities and temperments - one's in grade 5, the other's in high school so often evenings are spent helping with homework and making sure its getting done!

#36364 - 10/16/03 05:33 AM Re: what interests you?
Julie Offline

Loc: Australia
I'm totally owerawed by the amount of stuff you ladies cram in...

For me, I'm working full time so a normal week will see me helping students of all ages use the library; keeping 34 computers functioning; dealing with staff issues and budget issues and last week I built a human sized cage in which to serve coffee as a promotion for refugee week next week.

After spending all day away from them I try and give the rest of my time to baby daughter and teenage sons. Oh, yes, the husband too. This means that at the moment I'm not doing much in the way of other activities that I used to do, except the odd writing seminar or writer's group meeting.

I'm managing some writing but not a lot.
The stack of books beside my bed keeps growing but I haven't much time to read anymore [Frown]
Theortetically I'm at church on Sunday mornings but often sleep is top priority! and I know He understands. One day I will be able to be active in the church music ministry again...are there any other musicians/singers/songwriters out there?
That's the other thing I do when I can, tinkle about on the piano.
When possible I escape to the beach with the family, and find walking and swimming very restorative. Actually I could use a walk beside the waves right now...

#36365 - 10/16/03 11:55 AM Re: what interests you?
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
OK, OK, y'all are making me feel guilty about not answering, especially since MY NAME was dropped here....

I'm a jewelry designer, beadwork and semi-precious gemstones. Weekends I'm always selling at craft fairs. My creations are also in several local galleries and a few shops. Usually I sell locally but I've driven up to 8 hours for a show. I also have a (very) small amount of business from my website. I'm looking into selling on ebay but so far haven't moved on it. During the week I make my jewelry. I've been doing this forever.

For 3 1/2 years now: once a week I teach a free exercise class for breast cancer survivors, a wholistic mix of stretching, balancing, and weight training. In addition to nutrition and physiology, I read much of the available research on relevant medical issues. We often discuss these in the class. I also mentor newly-diagnosed patients.

I'm the Poet Laureate of Placentia Library District, and on the Library program committee. I've put in a ridiculous amount of research, planning and publicity to get this program going. I estimate at least 500 hours -- which sounded absurd to me too, but I kept going over this number and it's probably correct. A lot of this time also went into research etc. for my Library website which is still under construction. I started working on all this in January, was appointed Poet Laureate July 1, and got officially inaugurated 2 weeks ago. Right now I'm working on curricula for the Teen Poetry workshop which I lead.

Now for the stuff you didn't know yet ---

I play at least 5 games of online scrabble every day if I'm not at a craft show. I belong to an online scrabble club and in September won the elimination tournament that started in July.

I've been weight lifting since 1976 and go to the gym 2 or 3 times a week. I also go hiking in local hills and mountains every few weeks except May-September when it's too blasted hot. I've hiked US and Canadian Rockies, Australia's Mount Warning, and a ton of smaller elevations. I love climbing. I hate coming down.

I've written between 25-35 poems and essays each year since 1998. I have 3 self-published books and my work is in regional and national anthologies, in addition to a lot online. I attend 4-6 poetry readings per month and 2 critique groups. I've been the featured poet at many venues.

I watch everything sci-fi and read it in my spare time,which of late has been non-existant.

I make time to see my friends. I go out to lunch or dinner almost every week, and museums maybe 4-5 times a year. I hate shopping.

I have chronic migraines, every several weeks and lasts for 3-8 days. I've tried 4000 alleged cures which have not worked in varying degrees. I recently started acupuncture. I've probably wasted at least 2 years of my life being sick with this.

I love my yard but don't have much time for it, so I xeriscape. Everything is overgrown. Some of my cactus is 20 feet high. Today I ate an avocado from a tree I planted.

I collect unique arts and crafts, ethnic and one-of-a-kind. I buy maybe one piece a year, usually on my travels. I've been to 11 countries and can say hello and thank you in over 20 languages.

About 3 years ago I started repainting the interior of my house. 1 room has a 20' ceiling, another 15'. I'm a little over 1/2 done. I hope to finish at least 2 more rooms this winter, when I have more time. Whichever century I finish painting, I'll retile both the upstairs bathrooms. Don't hold your breath.

My domestic skills are questionable.

I've been married for 187 years, most of it unhappy. Very long story, and I'm tired of talking about it. However, it's in a lot of my poetry.

Ad it's 2am, and I've been writing this for well over an hour, which I knew would happen, which is why I haven't replied sooner.

#36366 - 10/16/03 03:24 PM Re: what interests you?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
If I REALLY had an award...Meredith gets it...hands down....

does her post make you tired or what?

That girl has done everything! Okay, I'm jealous...sue me...I like the part about being domestically challenged...at least we have THAT in common. Good grief!

#36367 - 10/16/03 03:58 PM Re: what interests you?
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
JJ, My mom also did the puzzle thing when I was a kid. Unfortunately I didn't sit still long enough to do too many. I was always outside running around. However I do recall it being a place where my sisters and all the nieghborhood kids stopped when they were in the house. Looking back, I wish I ahd spent more time there. It was a great place to share stories!

I also like your idea of sending cards. For Lent I tried sending a card a day to start a new habit, but it didn't quite work. I need to try that habit again.

Also, I'm still waiting to hear about that Ride and Read project. When are you going to reveal that to your buddies in here?

Evie, I also have a Mr. Night and Mr. Day with a daughter in between who is also her own child. I love it though 'cause it keeps me on my toes.

Two of our three children are adopted and there's no figurin' what is environmental and what's biological here. My older son has the very allergies as my hubby. My daughter has Type II Diabetes and my hubby has Type I. They are the adopted children...go figure! I tease my husband that he must have an Asian hotty running around taht I don't know about. The kids are adopted from Korea!

Julie, I want you to be my librarian. A cage for Refugee week is awesome. Also, STOP, did you say you keep 34 computers working? I'm impressed. I think I need to hire you to come live at our house. We all love 'em, but we don't knowhow to fix 'em. Did you know Meredith hiked the mountains somewhere near you? You could live at the foothills for all we know and she could have hiked right by your window!

Also, I could go for a walk along the beach right now. Geez, and I WAS feeling so good about my walk around the city this morning too!

Meredith, I really like my cross necklace. I think I'm wearing it to church this Sunday.

I think the work you do with and for cancer survivors and patients it's so marvelous. If I ever get cancer, I'm gonna come running to you!

Also, I think we need to see you in the travel forum a little more!

Have a blessed day everyone! [Wink]

#36368 - 10/16/03 04:47 PM Re: what interests you?
Evie Offline

Meredith, you remind me of my fav. aunt - who also is always on the go, travels a lot, collects things, is very busy and who I sometimes live vicariously through, but wouldn't want to trade places with, because, well I'm me and she's her, you know? [Smile]

I also have a couple of friends who do a lot of beading - my one friend has made her Christmas and birthday gifts for the last couple of years - last year she gave me a beautiful amethyst cross necklace - just lovely.....

#36369 - 10/18/03 07:21 AM Re: what interests you?
Candice Johnson Offline

Loc: Alexandria, VA
I always feel like such a lazy bones when I come in here. All I do is work, full-time job, freelance work, volunteer work, work in garden, work one the house. EVerything I do has the word work in it. I enjoy what I do, but maybe I need a new non-work activity besides watching tv.

#36370 - 10/17/03 08:42 PM Re: what interests you?
Evie Offline

she travels to Paris, London and soon Italy..........and she wants a non-work activity????????????????? [Razz]

does not sound to me like you are anything near a lazy bones at all, girl.....

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved