The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 146 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#36371 - 10/18/03 02:21 AM Re: what interests you?
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
Ms. Thesaurus wishes to point out that our perceptions are often influenced by our word choices. Try these instead: free-lance EXTRA VACATION MONEY; volunteer NURTURING or MINISTRY; garden and house BEAUTIFICATION. See, don't you feel better already?

#36372 - 10/18/03 06:25 AM Re: what interests you?
DreamrKate Offline

Loc: California
Boy, next to you guys, I feel like a slug.

I work full time, for a newspaper, come home, crack the whip on the homework, sometimes I need to clean the kitchen, sometimes not; have four kids between 22-10, one daughter, the oldest, and three sons.

When everyone is home at the same time it's like a Marx Brothers movie, and then if they let the new puppy in and she starts to chase the cats....well that's really a blast. (NOT)

I draw/paint/doodle and right now my canvas is gourds but it's different all the time.

I have a passion for trees although I'm getting ready to cut the huge fruitless mulberry tree that's in our front yard down because I think it has a love affair going on with our sewer pipes.

My kids cringe every time we drive (or I spot) a pile of junk on the street because I could actually whip a U-ie and drag some of it home.

I'm on a self-imposed moratorium against Christmas trees, not because I don't like them, but because I love them but want no party to cutting them down.... so I drag limbs home, birch limbs mostly, and decorate them.

I read, used to write poetry and am trying to embark on a free lance bit....to tell "my story" of how you make a peaceful life even while living with an addictive spouse, because there is a way.

I think that's probably it. I have found in the last couple of days that I'm hogging 'post' space and don't want to be piggish.

DreamrKate

#36373 - 10/20/03 05:38 AM Re: what interests you?
Julie Offline

Loc: Australia
I thought I was the only weird person who finds it hard to resist the piles of junk waiting to be collected on the street! There is a rubbish collection happening in our neighbourhood at the moment and it's very hard to drive past without wondering what finds there might be lurking amongst the junk...
I just love old stuff! Antique shops, jumble sales, books, old china, wooden boxes, the old things stored in my parent's garage...when I pull out something everyone says "What do you want that old thing for??" But after I get it home and do something with it - even just putting it in a collection of other bits - everyone else wants it.

#36374 - 10/20/03 05:58 AM Re: what interests you?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Ms. J,
Now, you talking my language. I couldn't agree with you more. I have sold/bought/collected/ or given away for gifts antiques all my life. I have loved old things and "junk" since I was able to walk and talk. Put me in a trash to treasures store and I will die a happy woman. Take a bowling pin and make a lamp. Take an old worn out quilt with holes in it and make throw pillows. Right now I have a quilt on my ANTIQUE table in the kitchen and it is my tablecloth. My bed is a high back antique oak bed. My dresser, the same. My son's room has the bed that my Mother was born in. The table in my kitchen came from Oklahoma with my grandmother when OK was indian territory. It came here to ALA in a covered wagon. She died last year at the age of 98. I have her oversized rocker in my living room. My house is full of junk/treasures. I also have some, not many, salesman samples. Just last week while I was at the Salvation Army donating clothes, a man drove up with a DOLLHOUSE he had made for his daughter and I talked him out of it. She is in her twenties now..so you can imagine. It is precious. Now I get to decorate it and a friend is painting an outside screen around the house....gawd I love this stuff! I wouldn't trade anything in here for new stuff EVER! I think I lived another life possibly in the 1800's or something. I love that stuff. Strong message to follow...hehehe

#36375 - 10/20/03 08:52 PM Re: what interests you?
Maggie Offline

Loc: Oregon
I am so excited reading your posts today. I too love junk piles especially old wood. You can make so many things out of it. picket fences, birdhouses and etc. [Smile]
The antiques are really lovely we too have a dresser that came over on a wagon train. The mirror is gone off the back but it holds my grandmothers quilts when I am not using them.
At Christmas and other Holidays I like to take an old crocheted bedspread(its an ecru color) and put it on top of a red tablecloth and that decorates the kitchen.
A friend and I love to go to the garage sales and
thrift shops for our craft finds.
Maggie

#36376 - 10/20/03 09:52 PM Re: what interests you?
Evie Offline

Loc: Nipigon, Ontario Canada
OK - show of hands, who likes to watch "Antiques Roadshow???"

jawjaw - can I come live at your house?, it sounds wonderful [Wink]

I love old treasures, I don't have too many finds though. When we bought our house about sixteen years ago, we found in the garage, lying in the middle of a pile of garbage left behind, on old wooden radio cabinet - completely gutted on the indside. It sits on top of my entertainment unit and I have one of the speakers from our surround sound tucked inside it, so it sounds like the sound is coming from the old radio.

#36377 - 10/20/03 10:28 PM Re: what interests you?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

I do! I do! As a matter of fact, some of my girlfriends went to the Antique's Roadshow here...Don't remember why I didn't...but it could have been during my "dating" years...hehehe..

Sure you can come live with me Evie...hope you like sweet tea and cornbread! You come on down...just warn me like six months ahead of time so I can clear out a room for ya...I have pic's if you ever want to see them. Some of my friends that live very far away ask me to make them.

smater (southern word) of fact, stop by and pick up the others girls on you way down...! BYOB...bring your own Body...BYOQ...bring your own quilt...we'll get Dotsie and Candice to cook for us all, and the rest of um can entertain us with their stories and poetry...how's that sound?

#36378 - 10/20/03 10:49 PM Re: what interests you?
Evie Offline

Loc: Nipigon, Ontario Canada
sounds fab! - sweet tea? is that hot or cold? anyway sounds good. Can you see us - wrapped in quilts, sipping tea, munching cornbread, watching Dotsie roll out pie crusts to make empanadas (did I spell that right?), paper spread out before us so we can jot stuff down, everyone talking at once.............sounds like a lot of fun....

and do send me some pics.......I'll send you one of "la salon rouge" - turned out not too bad, now that all the paintings done.

#36379 - 10/20/03 11:17 PM Re: what interests you?
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

is it hot or cold? Girl...you will be in the South....COLD! Yeah...nice vision...I only wish my little adobe was big enough for everyone cause I would do it...no joke. Make sure you send the pic's of the red room...I bet it looks great!

you know...I COULD work up a retreat for everybody...but would anyone come? Say...Mont Eagle Assembly, on the cumberland plateau???? Course it cost a small fortune to rent something there...well, just let me put my thinking cap on...I'll come up with something for next year...BUT WAIT! We have the possibility of the convention for BOOMER WOMEN! Yahoooooo [Big Grin]

#36380 - 10/22/03 03:16 AM Re: what interests you?
Julie Offline

Loc: Australia
I love the sound of all these old quilts - something we don't really have in our country. I have some of my grandmother's oak bedroom furniture - now in my daughter's room which I think Grandma would be pleased about if she knew - but it is only turn of the century, not as old as Queen Bee's.I also have my great granfather's black evening coat (tails)hanging on my wall. He wore it to my grandmother's wedding but I think it is older than that - may have come from Germany with him when he emigrated. He was only a little man - the coat fitted me when I was a petite teenager, not now. But he was by all accounts very strict and would not allow my acaemically gifted great aunt to study after leaving school, despite the pleadings of her teacher.That auntie never married, spent her life helping look after her many sisters' many children, doing church work...and writing.

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved