The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 187 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#36285 - 11/30/03 03:17 AM Re: gardening...ahhh
DreamrKate Offline

Loc: California
UuuggggHHh....Meredith.....I just want to plant stuff, I don't want to take a class. I wanted to make LESS work, not more. So does this mean that all the wonderful "random" looking gardens are not really that at all but previously planned, organized works of art?

[Frown] I so don't have energy for that. And Mere... I think you have pretty perpetual 70ish degree weather don't you? I mean, give or take 10-15 degrees. We get extreme temps in the winter and summer so I WILL actually have to find out what's indictive to this area. I have seen bouganvilla and even though they drop their blooms a lot, I think it might be worth it for the color. I love the color of those, the fuschia colored ones.

And I know .....well I guess I know what I want, I just have to do it in the spring. I'd love to have a place to go out and paint and ......you know what...I'm actually tired of talking. So I'm going to go now.

#36286 - 12/02/03 03:12 AM Re: gardening...ahhh
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
You don't have to take a class, but if you know what plants are best for your area, you can just stick 'em in the ground and almost ignore them after that (which is the whole idea of xeriscaping.) That's the point in getting climate and growing info first. My bouganvillas are rampant, but they realy love this weather.

Daytime temps here are 55-85 winter, and 80-110 summer. Nighttime is 15-20 degrees cooler. No rain all summer. Winter is our (alleged) rainy season.

#36287 - 12/02/03 07:54 AM Re: gardening...ahhh
DreamrKate Offline

I think I'll drive around and see the stuff growing in other people's yards and just stop and ask them..... I went on a pond tour the last couple of years and I've gotten ideas from some pretty neat water features which would be nice in this 100+ summer heat that lasts from May to September. Then from mid- November to Mid March we're in he 28-63 degree range and that's during the day, at night it's colder.....God I miss my 72 Southern California temps!

#36288 - 12/03/03 02:12 AM Re: gardening...ahhh
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
That's cuz you were near the beach. I'm 25 miles inland which makes all the difference in the world.

When we first moved here, I used to plant anything and everything in the ground. You know, go to a friend's, take home some cuttings and stick them in the ground. Eat anything with a pit or seeds, stick them in the ground. That's how I got my avocado trees (current count 5, although I'd like to winnow down to 2). Don't fuss, don't obsess; whatever is meant to grow there, will. You'll be amazed at what comes up.

#36289 - 12/03/03 08:45 AM Re: gardening...ahhh
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
DK,

Your lawn sounds neat to me. Even the shedding trees. But if you want some variation, maybe you could try some large rocks. I have a black thumb, can kill any plant. Also, I don't really enjoy planting and watering and all the hassle of caring for plants so I put rocks in several places where nothing grew naturally. The rocks look natural and once you get them in they require no work at all. I planted some plants that come back every year in the areas between the rocks around the hot tub and somehow without any effort at all, they've survived.

My back yard is totally wild. I don't even try for the "groomed" look. The trees shade almost the whole 2 acres so it only has to be mowed about once a month (Either I or my husband speed around like maniacs on the garden tractor for a while). The creek is just there. I planted wildflowers in the sunny areas and they come and go on their own.

Not much work really, but I think it's pretty. I love it in the morning for breakfast and on warm summer nights for dinner from the grill.

I think if you enjoy gardening, go for it, but personally, I think I enjoy "un"gardening.

smile

#36290 - 12/03/03 09:45 AM Re: gardening...ahhh
Julie Offline

Loc: Australia
Rocks are good. I find agapanthus unkillable, and they flower every year and multiply!

Hey, Smilinize, who says you can list your location as "outer space?" [Big Grin] I reserve the right to be the most geographically removed forum participant! [Wink]

#36291 - 12/03/03 11:08 AM Re: gardening...ahhh
DreamrKate Offline

Hey thanks Girlies!! These are all great ideas. We're socked in for the winter, cold and foggy most days but I like the ideas. And rocks, yes, I was actually thinking of large rocks and planting in between. And I think I'm going to try to plant some gourds (with a trellis) in a couple areas, just to see how they go. I'd like to make some concrete stepping stones too, you know - the more stuff, the less ratty grass. Thanks, more later. It's late and I'm sleepy

#36292 - 12/03/03 06:13 PM Re: gardening...ahhh
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Julie

Sorry """previously""" most geographically removed forum participant. You've been replaced!!

smile

[ December 03, 2003, 10:18 AM: Message edited by: smilinize ]

#36293 - 12/03/03 06:27 PM Re: gardening...ahhh
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Uh-oh, if DK starts growing gourds she'll have more to paint. We may lose her here ladies.

Someone mentioned this already (I think) but I think the best way to get the right flowers, plants, shrubs is to ask the people at the garden shops. Describe the spot in your landscape to them and they can typically tell you exactly what will grow best.

#36294 - 12/03/03 06:27 PM Re: gardening...ahhh
garrie keyman Offline

Loc: Lititz, PA
Smile, you must've edited this right when I was tryin' to read it! I could've SWORN there was more! Ha! Something about movin' further and further away until....

But it wasn't there by the time I clicked into the post itself from the Today's Topic's page. Hmmm.

Maybe I'm a-seein' things!

Where DO you live, anyway (and yes, I know what your profile says -- ha! I'm right there with ya most days.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved