The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 168 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#36295 - 12/03/03 06:32 PM Re: gardening...ahhh
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Hey, I told ya'I live in outer space. Ask anyone. I love it here too.

#36296 - 12/14/03 04:17 AM Re: gardening...ahhh
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I planted strawberries in a strawberry pot a few weeks ago. I'm expecting them to bloom in a month or so, then have luscious ripe strawberries in March.

While I was sick, I didn't get a chance to wake up my Christmas cactus and get it ready to bloom, so it's going to bloom late this year. It has the most beautiful bright, flurscent (spell?) pink blooms. Hundreds of them.. the cactus is huge.

I planted a plumeria after we got back from the keys at Thanksgiving. I know it won't do anything until Spring, but I'm hoping it survives.

My miniature roses on the front patio are blooming like crazy... I guess they don't realize it's winter.

Peace!

#36297 - 12/19/03 06:10 PM Re: gardening...ahhh
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Vicki, I have a blossoming Christmas cactus right behind me. Same color. Are they all that color? It's the only one I've ever had. Each year it gets a little bigger and it's so easy to care for.

Also, mmm, I love plumerias. They are so pretty and smell wonderful. Don't think we can grow them around here. They remind me of tropical vacations. Back to that sandy beach with sand between my toes again!

#36298 - 12/19/03 06:16 PM Re: gardening...ahhh
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
Vicki, I read your post about "waking up" the Christmas cactus. A friend got me one for Christmas last year and it is barely blooming this year.

Should I have put it to sleep? How do you do that? When? For how long?

smile

#36299 - 12/19/03 11:21 PM Re: gardening...ahhh
Dotsie Offline
Founder

smilin, I have a Christmas cactus and I just leave it out all year, watering it as needed. That's it, nothing special that I know of. This is it's third year. Let's see what Vicki has to say. [Big Grin]

#36300 - 12/24/03 05:51 AM Re: gardening...ahhh
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
I leave my christmas cactus out all year too.. but "waking" it up for me is giving it a little extra attention right before the holiday.. so it knows it's time to bloom.

However, like I said, I missed out this year because of being sick. So, I'm predicting my cactus will actually bloom around the end of January. I'll let ya'll know if I'm right.

We had a cold front move through here this past week and it got close to freezing here in Tampa.

BRRRRRRRR!!!!!! Too darn cold for me.. We live in the tropics.. it's supposed to stay warm.. that's why I moved down here.

The freeze didn't hurt my strawberry plant.. thank goodness. It's the funniest thing to drive down the street and see everyone's bed linens draped over their bushes and flower beds.

I read somewhere that a little cold now and then is good for the plants, it makes their fruit sweeter. Has anyone else ever hear that?

I hope my plumeria grows.. it takes so long for it to grow. I think in the Spring I'll pick up a 6 foot tree and see if I can transplant it in the yard. They really need lots of humidity and water which is why they grow so much better down in South Florida.

#36301 - 12/24/03 05:53 PM Re: gardening...ahhh
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Vicki, at first I couldn't figure out the comments on the bed linens on the bushes. [Eek!] Because of the cold season here I was thinking people were airing out their bed clothes to rid them of germs. [Big Grin]

Just little old slow me here trying to figure that out. People around herer often use burlap to cover their precious bushes, but for the most part we don't plant bushes or flowers that can't take the cold.

#36302 - 01/03/04 07:36 PM Re: gardening...ahhh
Maggie Offline

Loc: Oregon
Hi,
Anyone else planning their gardens for this year? Today we finally had what we call snow here.
Its really like hail but was at least 2 inches maybe three. Portland had a lot of snow so we didn't get to do our usual New years traveling.
Stayed by the fire to keep warm.
I am looking forward to spring and summer. My husband loves to work out in the garden so we are trying to figure out what to plant this year. I finally convinced him that there are cool crops he can plant in the early spring, like broccoli,
peas, lettuce, cauliflower.
Maggie

#36303 - 01/06/04 08:49 AM Re: gardening...ahhh
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Bless you, Vicki! You pre-answered the questions I qas just about toask.

We're moving to a house with an actual YARD. We're going to be donig somegardening, andmy first love of course is herbs. I've had very limited experience with growing herbs in the ground -- only curly-leafed parsely has ever prospered for me. A container garden it will be, then. I've had really bad luck with trying to grow herbs from seeds, too, so I'll probably be at the mercy of whatever Walmart has sprouting in their little yellow pots. But that won't bother me a bit. I'm gonna have herbs again! And fresh, clean dirt under my fingernails too!
Hugs,
Lil [Big Grin]

#36304 - 01/06/04 12:15 AM Re: gardening...ahhh
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
Lil,
I probably missed the post, but you are moving? Is Raul moving with you? Please forgive my laziness for not going back and reading a zillion posts????

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved