The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 160 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#36275 - 11/24/03 05:38 PM Re: gardening...ahhh
Evie Offline

Loc: Nipigon, Ontario Canada
hmmm....woke to howling winds and blowing snow this morning....shovelling off the van, dreams of 60+ temps, my pond and my garden fill my head...for now these visions wait until spring while the garden rests under a blanket of snow....

#36276 - 11/24/03 06:26 PM Re: gardening...ahhh
Maggie Offline

Loc: Oregon
Yes, Evie we woke to rain this morning and now I am hearing the pelting of hail on the window. I too dream of gardens during the winter and what we will plant in ours come spring.
Lynn, loved your garden story about Tonya.
What a nice memory. Thanks for sharing.
Maggie

#36277 - 11/25/03 08:32 AM Re: gardening...ahhh
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Lynn, how fun to have been blessed with a friend to share gardening and your soul with. You have such great stories.

I'm sure you and Tanya will run through my mind while in the garden. [Big Grin]

Ladies, how fun to hear the weather reports in your parts of the world. My world is stretched when I read your posts.

Evie, won't be long and I'll be dealing with the snow. We keep hearing it's going to be a tough winter. I'll saok up a few rays of the sun for you and Maggie while waiting for my son to come out of school today! [Big Grin]

#36278 - 11/25/03 03:06 AM Re: gardening...ahhh
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Loc: Orange County, California
I have a very small yard and I too love the wild look. I planted 2 avocado trees from pit 12 years ago and they are HUGE! One of them fruits. My pipe organ cactus is at least 15 feet high. The bouganvillas are always overgrown and beautiful.

In this tiny yard there are at least 3 different birds that build nests every year: silver doves under the roof; some little gray-brown constantly twittering birds (20-30) that live/nest in the bouganvillea; and hummingbirds that this spring built their nest in the porch light fixture, so I couldn't turn on the light for 30 days until the babies hatched and flew away. Plus there is a lizard family and an occasional opossum.

I cut and clean up occasionally. Since the yard is xeriscaped, it's fairly low maintenance. In the winter when the weather is usually good, I plant or move things around. It's so peaceful. I bring home stray cactus, and have 15-20 different varieties.

#36279 - 11/25/03 04:17 AM Re: gardening...ahhh
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
While in California recently, I kept seeing a vivid black and white bird. If I recall correctly, white chested, black winged with white tips. I could not place it in my mind. From this brief description do you know what bird this is? Just a curiousity..... [Razz]

#36280 - 11/25/03 04:55 AM Re: gardening...ahhh
smilinize Offline

Loc: outer space
I am no gardner for sure, but I love my backyard.

I have 3 acres bordered by a creek. My house is two story on a cliff terraced down to the pool and hot tub. I put natural rocks on the hill behind the hot tub and planted annuals in the crevices. I have some wild flowers along the creek bank and the whole thing is shaded by huge trees.

I had natural rock steps built to the pool and hot tub with a deck about half way down on one side. That's where I love to sit and drink coffee in the mornings.

The houses around here all have a few acres so there's all kinds of wildlife that comes to the creek. A couple of hawks come every year to nest. They come soaring into the yard and sometimes they perch on a post to watch me watching them.

Recently we had company and there was a rabbit in the front yard as they were coming in then at dinner we were looking out the windows of the dining room to the yard and we noticed a skunk who had came to play on the creek bank. While we were watching the skunk, a doe and three fawns came to drink. I said it was Thumper, Flower, Bambi, Feline, and Bambi's mother (does anyone remember her name?)

I found an old Bambi video and we watched it after dinner. Made for a different and fun evening.

smile

#36281 - 11/26/03 03:31 AM Re: gardening...ahhh
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Lynn,
Unfortunately, I don't know what the black and white bird is [Frown]

#36282 - 11/27/03 09:11 AM Re: gardening...ahhh
DreamrKate Offline

Loc: California
Ladies ~ You are inspiring! I have the most uninspiring back yard. There's old lawn that's not terribly comfortable under your feet. Tree roots have caused hard lumps that go for yards. Trees that are unidentifiable but grow tall and rangy and drop yellow powdery seeds that seem to kill the lawn underneath. The only reason we don't take them down is that they block some of the summer 100+ degree sun in the late afternoon. I'd LOVE color and water and wild. Maybe I should plant random? Any suggestions would be lovingly appreciated.

Kate

#36283 - 11/27/03 04:59 PM Re: gardening...ahhh
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
DK, I happen to know that DJ who's in our neighborhood knows lots about gardening. Maybe she would have a couple suggestions.

And... Smilinize, when can we come and languish in your yard? [Razz]

#36284 - 11/29/03 12:17 PM Re: gardening...ahhh
meredithbead Offline
The Divine Ms M

Dreamrkate, go to the library and check out a book on gardening in your climate. I'm not sure how much you're different from here, but I think you get more rain than we do (which is sort of a no-brainer, because EVERYONE gets more rain than we do, except Arizona) so many of my plants might drown where you live. You'll have the best luck with your garden if you xeriscape for your micro-climate. There are occasional xeriscape workshops at the Arboretum here (I don't know if there's an arboretum near you). Most local colleges have classes in horticulture, and I'm sure people there would be happy to give advice. Also, local nurseries can help.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved