The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 159 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#36265 - 07/26/03 04:57 AM gardening...ahhh
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
Life doesn't get much better than weeding, clipping and being IN the garden.

I feel so peaceful with the bees swarming(they never sting me, I think they know I am taking care of their flowers), the sun shining, flowers
blossoming, and the mulch and dirt.

I love watering and seeing the rainbow in the spray with the sun behind me.

This has become a part of my morning ritual after walking and it makes my heart sing.

The best part is cutting the flowers and bringing them indoors. Any other gardeners? [Smile]

#36266 - 07/29/03 10:10 PM Re: gardening...ahhh
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
hi Dotsie, does container gardening count?

I grow my herbs in containers outside. The containers are situated all around my pool. The Florida ground is either too salty, too sandy, or too rocky to put in anything other than indigenous tropical plants. However, I have had a poinsettia in the ground for nearly 3 years now and it's doing well.

I start most of my herbs out by seed in small pots on my patio, then as they grow and get stronger, I put them in bigger pots and give them a spot on the pool deck, depending on their need for sun or shade.

My St. John's Wort is really bushing up. I have Basil growing like crazy, and the mint does well under the shade of my palm trees. The catnip keeps getting knocked over by the neighbor's cat.

My calendula loves the hot sun as does the sage. Mullien, mugwort, lavender, chamomile, all love to grow in containers.

Most of them are on rolling plant sitters so I can try different spots to see which plant likes what area.

Not many weeds to deal with, but still have to pull the occasional grass shoot.

I leave the clover growing in the pots when they sprout.. kinda looks cheerful!

Peace & Hugs.

#36267 - 08/01/03 12:54 AM Re: gardening...ahhh
Gera Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Yey for gardening!!

I love my garden. I feel it is a place to pray, think, relax and learn. It is a very different kind of garden. I love the wildness of it. It's like having a managed mini forest with all kinds of wildlife habitats right outside your door. On a hot day it is 10 degrees cooler here.

I plant mostly native species with a few special plants in between. I keep it very wild. There isn't any lawn in my back yard. I let the leaves fall and it works much like a mulch no weeds. I created several paths which will take you past the fish pond, through the wildflower garden and if you peek around the corner you will see about 100 fern mixed in with mountain laurel, blueberry, hucklebery, & sweet bay magnolia.
I have a large fish pond with two waterfalls that I dug and built myself. Recently a had a visit from a Black Crowned Night Heron. The little bugger was stealing my fish. I had about 50 fish in the pond so I guess it's ok. They need to eat too. It seems just as I have a overload of fish something like this happens. Last year I had an Egret stealing my fish. "The pond will take care of itself" to quote an old friend. I use plants to filter the water so I don't have to deal with filter problems. I have had this pond for 10 years now and my system works great.
I have been visited by raccoons, opossums, chipmunks. All kinds of birds, I have 3 bird baths for them. I don't need to put out seed the yard feeds them well.
Friends and neighbors are always amazed when they open the gate and look into the backyard. It's truly an amazing place.

#36268 - 08/01/03 02:07 AM Re: gardening...ahhh
Maggie Offline

Loc: Oregon
Your gardens sound wonderful. Love the wildlife.
My husband plants,weeds, and etc. I get to pick everything and finally convinced him that I know when its ripe. He wouldn't let me pick anything at first. It was annoying except the garden was so pretty. I think God was teaching me patience.
We have had deer back there but this year they've left the garden alone. I made a salad with blueberries, strawberries and lettuce from the garden similar to one at Red Robin.
Maggie

#36269 - 08/01/03 02:18 PM Re: gardening...ahhh
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Gera, sounds like you could hold retreats in your garden and people would pay to come! Are you near the beach?

#36270 - 08/01/03 03:06 PM Re: gardening...ahhh
Gera Offline

Loc: New Jersey
Dotsie,I am not to far from the beach at all. That's great because I love the beach. [Cool] This time of year however, it gets very crowded with tourists, bennies,as we call them here. The traffic is awful at times. If you want to go to the beach the trick is to leave early before the mad rush.
Maggie, I have a hubby too. I understand. He only helps with the big stuff that I can't do. He really isn't into gardening but he voices his opinion when I want to prune something or move this or that. I like to change things around. He likes to leave things alone. Boring [Roll Eyes] He gets crazy when I want to do something major. When I wanted to put in the fish pond. I knew I had to do it when he wasn't home. I waited till he left for work and got busy. When ho got home the hole was dug, plants were moved, it was too late for him to get uptight. Now he enjoys the fish and all the critters that pop up so much. We have a saying around here "You were right ,I was wrong" Gotta love em! [Big Grin]

#36271 - 11/24/03 08:05 AM Re: gardening...ahhh
Dotsie Offline
Founder

I'm squeezing in another day in the garden. [Big Grin]

Temps in the high 60's and sunny. I'll take these warmer temperatures any day.

We have lots of leaves and still some perennials to cut back. Anything to get outside...

#36272 - 11/24/03 12:35 AM Re: gardening...ahhh
Lynn Offline

Loc: pennsylvania
[Cool] I love gardening. Have actually move into some landscaping with terraed walls etc. I am getting a bit big for my britiches or biting off more than I can chew! one or the other.

Gardening has just picked up again for me since my little was four this last summer, I had more autonomy.

One of my favorite garden memories is sharing a large vegetable garden with my dear friend Tanya. We grew everything and canned and froze stuff. It was great. We would each just take a section in the evenings or on weekends and sit and weed. Sometimes we would talk but mostly just enjoyed the silence of each other. Tanya hummed alot and that jsut kept us moving. It was so peaceful sharing the routine of the garden with someone so close. We shared property. She lived in the farm house and I lived in the barn (restored).

Tanya died from breast cancer after a four year battle, six years ago now. The hardest part was carrying on our garden without her humming. Sometimes I could barely hear her and then my eyes were swimming in tears, I could not see the weeds.

I have since moved but I have found myself sitting and humming in the garden. I know I have achieved a state of peace when I hum. [Smile]

#36273 - 11/24/03 01:57 AM Re: gardening...ahhh
jawjaw Offline
Da Queen

Loc: Alabama
oh Lynn...you are once again filling us up with your wonderful, heart-warming stories. I did not know Tanya, but I know I would have loved her too. I bet she hears you humming and feels warm all over, just like I did when I read your story.

Sending hugs to you in your garden,

#36274 - 11/24/03 08:28 AM Re: gardening...ahhh
Julie Offline

Loc: Australia
Yesterday our garden was visited by a pair of rare Black Cockatoos. We have seen them flying over before, but they have never paid a visit till now. They feasted on the seed pods of one of the native trees.
Rainbow lorikeets, rosellas, pink and grey galahs and sulphur-crested cockatoos eat seed from the bird feeder near our back deck whenever we fill it. It lasts a few minutes! I often wonder how they know it is full, we are not regular in filling it up. But as soon as we do, in swoop the birds. The kookaburras are not interested in seeds, but they sit on the fence and watch, and laugh...and the belbirds tinkle in the distance. I am so lucky to live in a city where native birds still co-exist with people.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved