The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 181 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#36248 - 04/02/03 05:10 PM Club membership
countrygirl51 Offline

Loc: Clifton, Ks. USA
Someone asked me about our local art club and what we do. I'm not sure where this fits in, but I thought perhaps enjoyable hobbies would be the most logical place to answer.
In our art club, we meet once a month for a short informal meeting, followed by a work session. Last month we painted flowers, with whichever medium we prefer. I did a painting of a sunflower with watercolors. We usually have a suggested theme, but this is more to inspire than to limit. No one is limited to working on the theme, some of us work on whatever project we have started, or we start a new project.
Sometimes we omit the meeting and have a tour or a party (Christmas). We have toured museums, historic mansions, art galleries, shopped in artistic towns (Lindsborg or Manhattan, Ks.)
Right now our membership is way down, and we are looking for new members. I wish there was a way to include an online membership, but I don't know how this could be achieved without physical presence by members. I am working on a website for our club, but it needs lots of work yet.
We keep dues low, $5 per year, we show our work in the local bank and nursing home, besides showing independently as we choose. Some of us sell our work, some paint for family members.
Art club is very important to me. I express myself in many ways, through my paintings, crocheting, photography, writing, both hard copy and online. I would be hard pressed to choose a favorite. Art Club gives me a chance to share my work with others for constructive feedback and encouragement. It is very good for the ego and keeps me inspired to continue working at my hobbies.
How many of you are involved with an organization that helps give you an emotional or social "boost"?

#36249 - 04/04/03 06:18 PM Re: Club membership
maylene Offline

Loc: baltimore
I would love to get involved in an art club like the one you are a part of. I love to sketch, paint, write, sculpt, but have had no formal training in any of these areas...just love to do it. Last night took my boys to the museum for a free night of crafts and fun...they always balk until we get there and then we have a great time! Can you give me some more info. as to how I would find one in my area? I am in Baltimore, Maryland. Thanks.

#36250 - 04/05/03 05:43 PM Re: Club membership
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
I bet you have to start your own. [Wink] I just heard of a group of women who were teachers together back when I was in high school. They have been meeting for a craft night for 20 plus years.

I think this is how it works:

Each month it is at different member's home. If you host, you come up with the craft idea and purchase what you need to make it. The women sit and do a craft and catch up. Adds another dimension to a girl's night out.

If you are interested, I know an awesome craft person in the Baltimore area who may also be interested. This is all crafts though You could also do painting, etc. [Big Grin]

#36251 - 04/07/03 05:23 PM Re: Club membership
countrygirl51 Offline

Loc: Clifton, Ks. USA
I would recommend checking into your local chamber of commerce. They may know of an organization such as this. Is there a Hobby Lobby or similar store in your town? Often they hold classes or workshops and you will always find artists there.
Perhaps you should make up some posters announcing your wish to form a group and post them locally, or advertize in the local paper. The group I am in is 41 years old, so I'm not sure exactly how it actually started. I joined in 1974.
Good luck in your search. Art and crafts are so very rewarding. And very therapeutic also. Good range of motion exercise, good socialization, and the mutual support you will receive from other members (hopefully), is very good for the ego.

#36252 - 04/07/03 05:55 PM Re: Club membership
Maggie Offline

Loc: Oregon
Hi,
I had a craft group in my home for about four
years. Two of us would get together and do crafts because we were so lonesome so we decided to invite other people. By the time we were done there were 6-10 of us. It was like the old quilting bees.
Each person brought what they were working on. It was very informal. We brought our own lunches because they were coming and going at different times.
The crafts were tole painting, rubber stamping, crocheting, knitting,sewing and whatever else we could think of. I provided coffee,tea and usually a dessert. We started at 10:00 and ended at 3:00 so moms could get home to their children after school.

#36253 - 04/07/03 06:05 PM Re: Club membership
Maggie Offline

I pressed the wrong button but there are organizations that do have clubs you can join.
Here there are stamping clubs, quilt clubs and I know there are painting groups through our college.
Our American Association of University Women
(AAUW)has study groups and because our group was a
craft group and I belonged they made our group one of their study groups.
We also entered into fairs and festivals around here. It was fun.
I think its like Dotsie said if you are really interested you can start one. Just ask friends or publicize it where you think others might be interested.
At some fairs and festivals they ask you to
up as interested in scrapbooking.
Do hope all of this helps a little.
Maggie

#36254 - 04/21/03 06:43 PM Re: Club membership
Maggie Offline

Hi,
Saturday we had a stamping and scrapbooking day
here. They talked about clubs so thought I would share with you what the Stampin Up groups are doing. They invite enough people to host for a year so there are 12 people. Each month they go to someones home. The host that month can invite others who don't belong to the club to come to her
party. The people in the club have to buy a set amount each month.
For our day they taught five cards in the morning and four scrapbook pages in the afternoon.
Three of us at the table I was at have decided to
form a scrapbooking group. We will get together and just work on our scrapbooks. If one of us has
something to teach we can do that.
I have found all this to be very healing and at
just the right time when I needed it or when someone new moves into the area helps them to meet
new people.
I have enjoyed reading everyone's posts here too.
Maggie

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved