The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 179 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#36213 - 01/07/03 09:17 AM herb oils / vinegars
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
one of my hobbies is herbs.

For Christmas this year I have all my friends and family herb vinegar and herb oil. It was so much fun to make and give. I grow herbs on my patio. and I used fresh herbs for the vinegar. But, for the olive oil, I used dried herbs, so I don't give anyone food poisoning.

People love the personal touch!!! It makes me feel closer to them as I make the gifts. I think about them and what they might do with the items. Marinate chicken, splash on a salad, or glaze for a B-B-Q.

I also make bath salts, bath oils, massage oils, etc. Lots of nice smelling stuff that makes you feel really good.

My daughter was having back pains, she strained some muscles in her back, and I made a massage oil for her back and it helped her, and made the pain go away! She has already come back for another bottle.

#36214 - 01/07/03 10:55 PM Re: herb oils / vinegars
Dotsie Offline
Founder

Loc: Maryland
What a fun hobby! Are you willing to share any of your recipes? Also, do you use any special containers for your gift items? I am always looking for different gift ideas!

#36215 - 01/08/03 11:37 PM Re: herb oils / vinegars
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

am always willing to share!

I use a variety of bottles you can find just about anywhere. At Michaels I found some small vinegar and oil bottles (with corks), got them on sale. There is also a place online http://www.essentialsupplies.com/ that has a great selection of any kind of bottle you can imagine. Great prices. I like the corks because the vinegar doesn't corrode the seal. They look nicer w/the cork seal, too.

I also but a tie tag around the neck that explains the ingredients, the date made, and on the back a suggestion for use.

I did white vinegar, red wine vinegar, and white wine vinegar.

I also did olive oil and herb combinations.

Any special requests and I'll start my recipes from there?

I also make bath oils, massage oils, or bath salts by special request. So, if you'd like any, just let me know.

#36216 - 01/30/03 12:33 AM Re: herb oils / vinegars
Candice Johnson Offline

Loc: Alexandria, VA
Vicki-

I just signed up to rent a plot for a garden here in Alexandria. It's partially shaded, but flat. I've garden before, but really wanted to do an herb garden for gifts and things. Any suggestions on herbs to start with? Ones that make for good recipes or lotions/massage oils. I will only have the plot until November and I don't have room in my condo to bring everything in so they would need to annuals.

I'm really excited about this and can't wait to get started.

#36217 - 02/12/03 10:48 PM Re: herb oils / vinegars
Vicki M. Taylor Offline

Hi Candice, You might want to try these:

Shade:
Begonia
Violet
Tansy
Mint

Part Shade/Sunlight:
Angelica
Artemesia
Catmint
Cohosh
Foxglove
Heliotrope
Mugwart

Full Sunlight:
Borage
Calendula (great for skin products)
Dill
Fennel
Lavender
Morning Glory
Petunias
Rose
Rosemary
Sage
Strawberries
Sunflowers
Thyme
Yarrow

If you want to keep a few potted herbs in your kitchen, at your window, try these:
Bay
Chives
Marjoram
Oregano
Parsley
Rosemary
Sorrel
Sweet Basil
Tarragon

These don't take up a lot of room and you can keep them trimmed by harvesting on a regular basis. They'll grow year round, and are pretty easy to take care of.

I'd be happy to send you recipes and/or direct you to links or books that can provide them as well.

Good luck with your gardening! Don't forget to keep us updated.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved