The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 127 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#218208 - 11/29/12 01:42 AM Protective Bubble
maryannewrites Offline

Loc: South Carolina
Have you ever wished that you could take your teenage grandchildren and surround them with protective bubbles that would allow them to function in the world, but never be hurt by others or ever make unfortunate or ill-advised life-altering decisions?

I remember being 17 and thinking I was ultra-mature and knowing exactly what I wanted and where I was going. HA!! Did I have a rude awakening in the real world! It's just exceptionally hard to see a grandchild heading down a path that you know from the wisdom of your years and experience is going to be one that is marred by ruts and potholes, creating a horribly bumpy ride.

We are relegated to the roles of neutral bystanders because they are not our children. We can offer listening ears, advice if they are willing to hear it, fervent prayers, and reassurance that we will always love them unconditionally.

Throughout her growth stages of infant, toddler, and little girl, I cuddled my granddaughter on my lap as we sat in a rocking chair with me slowly rocking and singing Carole King's "You've Got a Friend." From the time she could speak, she'd say, "Sing it again, Grandma." And I would. Over and over and over. And I meant every word. Now she is 17, and I want to place her in that bubble. Life is tough, but I know that she has to make her own choices and deal with the consequences. I'd just love to hold her in that rocker and sing "You've Got a Friend" one more time...

#218217 - 11/29/12 07:31 PM Re: Protective Bubble [Re: maryannewrites]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Mary Anne, I am sure your grand daughter has fond memories of you rocking and singing to her. Why not tell her sometime that you'd love to sing the song WITH her? It might get some discussion going.

I don't have grandchildren, so I can't speak from experience, but my humble observation is that there ARE kids who continue to maintain good relationships with their grandparents, even when they are going through the necessary separation from their parents.

(My nephew, for example, who is in his late 20s is not speaking to either parent at the moment. Some long-held grudges which apparently date from his early teens have led to this. However, he still makes occasional trips to spend the day with my father. And I am delighted that their relationship continues to exist.)

Beyond that, you know a protective bubble will not properly prepare her for the world which she must eventually enter. Better that you offer her a reliable safe haven to which she can retreat periodically to relax and recharge.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#218276 - 12/11/12 01:04 AM Re: Protective Bubble [Re: Anne Holmes]
orchid Offline

Loc: British Columbia, Canada
I agree with Anne: just be a safe haven when grandchild needs it.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved