The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 169 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Topic Options
#218020 - 10/22/12 10:54 PM The Shoebox
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Each time we see DH's grand girls (ages 6+ and 5), I have a shoebox full of stuff. Whether it's a learning thing, a craft, soap cool or whatever I can think of.

This time I am including a tooth of mine that was pulled not long ago. I want to show them the importance of brushing/flossing, forever. Even though mine was decayed due to the dentist, years ago, not drilling deeply enough allowing it to rot underneath the filling, they can still see a bad tooth.

Any other ideas for our next shoebox?

(BTW, they LOVE it and look forward to it every time!)

#218028 - 10/24/12 01:10 AM Re: The Shoebox [Re: Di]
yonuh Offline

Loc: Arizona
What a great idea! If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.
http://sablewings.wordpress.com/

#218029 - 10/24/12 02:31 PM Re: The Shoebox [Re: yonuh]
Marsha Roberts Offline

Loc: Tennessee
How about a piece of jewelry you had when you were a child? I have a young niece who is fascinated with the fact that adults were ever as small as she is!
Blog: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/6037984.Marsha_Roberts/blog

#218032 - 10/24/12 07:06 PM Re: The Shoebox [Re: Marsha Roberts]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
How about some kind of old-fashioned toy -- maybe one of those wind-up frogs that hops, or a top, or something like that? Kids are fascinated by the concept of toys could have existed that weren't run on batteries, or powered by computers...

A harmonica or kazoo.

Old/vintage children's books are always fun, too.

Or some "vintage" clothes to use in "dress-up" games. My daughter always used to love to try on my high heeled shoes -- back when I wore 'em. But this goes along with Marsha's jewelry idea -- could be a long strand of fake pearls, a pair of long white gloves, big clip-on dangle earrings, a cool hat with a veil, feathers or birds or fruit on it, or a cloak/scarf/shawl.

Seed packets they can plant and nurture. Or a potato they can cut up and plant in water.

A kid's card game.

A collection of old postcards.

When I was a kid, I used to love those old Viewmasters, and the image disks that went into them. Loved that the photos looked "3D." Wonder if you can find any of those anywhere?

The ingredients to make homemade Playdough.

A collection of sea shells and a book to learn about them.

Small pair of binoculars and a bird-watching book.

An old cassette recorder and a bunch of old tapes from the 60s, 70s or 80s.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#218036 - 10/25/12 02:36 AM Re: The Shoebox [Re: Anne Holmes]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Great ideas ladies!

DH wants his turn to do "the shoebox" as he asked me about it today. So, I'll see what he comes up with.

#221362 - 04/04/18 07:03 PM Re: The Shoebox [Re: Di]
montx Offline

What a fun and educational thing to do. I keep loads of craft and painting supplies handy, since that's what I'm known for, but to add things at random seems fun and a great way to start conversations... HOWEVER, I might need some awfully sophisticated and challenging items since my all but two of my seven are already college age: one entering this year, two already graduates and a fourth in his second year. The odd man out chose not to go, which I applaud him for.

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved