The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 179 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#217591 - 07/20/12 05:47 PM Re: Reading "Tuesdays with Morrie". [Re: jabber]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
Jabber, I was at the doctor's office for a diabetes checkup yesterday, and Peg, my nurse practitioner, had a student with her, shadowing her. (I don't like being the "guinea pig" but students have to get practical experience somewhere.)

Anyway, somehow towards the end of the visit our talk turned to the "50 Shades of Gray" book. (Oh, I know, I mentioned that the book I'd brought into read while waiting was one I was reviewing for NABBW, and Peg asked me if I was going to be reviewing the infamous E. L. James book.)

I said no, I tend to only review books written by members. But I noted that I'd been talking to Dr Dorree Lynn, NABBW's expert on sex, and she told me she doesn't like the book.

We also joked about how we would feel to be seen buying it.

Anyone have any expereince with that?
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#217592 - 07/20/12 08:25 PM Re: Reading "Tuesdays with Morrie". [Re: Anne Holmes]
Ellemm Offline

As to 50 Shades of Gray, I don't plan to read it but if you want to kill a funny half hour, head to Amazon and read the 1- and 2- star reviews of the book. They are a scream, and nearly all of the people who don't like the book say it's ridiculous and written like a 16-yesr-old's fantasy.

Somehow a 21-year-old woman with no experience of sex or even computers (yes, he shows her how to set up e-mail) manages to hook up with a man who is a billionaire at 26. He can pilot a plane, speak other languages, play the piano, is tall, good-looking, extremely well-endowed -- and she instantly begins to experience intense sexual pleasure. Oh, and the guy doesn't do any work, just spends all day sending her sexy messages and having sex, because, you know, that's how billionaires are.

#217593 - 07/20/12 08:27 PM Re: Reading "Tuesdays with Morrie". [Re: Ellemm]
Ellemm Offline

Sorry to break up my post, but the screen keeps flipping and makes me nuts.

On a serious note, there are people who feel that the book is actually dangerous because the man is cruel and callous and the young women, who seems to be a dolt, puts up with a lot of bad behavior in an attempt to change him. Out in real life, of course, just being compliant is often a recipe for abuse. So there are people who don't like the book on a very serious level, much like seeing Pretty Woman as a pretty fantasy instead of acknowledging that the life of a prostitute is nothing like getting to stay in a hotel with Richard Gere.

#217594 - 07/21/12 04:24 AM Re: Reading "Tuesdays with Morrie". [Re: Ellemm]
Boomer in Chief

Good to know, Ellemm. I am sure those points you made are exactly why Dr. Dorree doesn't like the book. I think I will choose not to read it. Might be fun to check out those pages on Amazon, however...
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#217598 - 07/21/12 09:29 PM Re: Reading "Tuesdays with Morrie". [Re: Anne Holmes]
Boomer in Chief

OK, I just HAD to see what Ellemm was talking about. So I checked out the review page on Amazon...

Have a look yourself -- can't imagine that I will be tempted to read these books after reading those reviews. I mean, how many times have I ever read poor reviews posted on Amazon? Not often, but I can't recall any worse than these...
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#217599 - 07/21/12 11:00 PM Re: Reading "Tuesdays with Morrie". [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
After reading those reviews, don't think I'll be reading
50 Shades of Grey! Thanks, Anne. After seeing the lines of women on TV and hearing my hairdresser rave, I thought I was missing something. Guess not. They sound horrible. Thanks again, Anne.
Not into wasting time or money!

#217607 - 07/23/12 06:19 PM Re: Reading "Tuesdays with Morrie". [Re: jabber]
Ellemm Offline

Ok, here's another funny for you and it's only about 2 1/2 minutes. I attend a monthly program at our local library that describes upcoming books, movies from books, etc., and the guy in charged showed it to us. (I LOVE this program. He even gives away advance copies of some of the books.)

Anyway, go to YouTube, type in Ellen Reads 50 Shades of Grey.

Ellen DeGeneres starts reading from the book but immediately switches into a comedy reading. It's not dirty at all, just unbelievably funny. There's no way the book could have competed with her anyway.....

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved