The Soap lady meets the Senator
baby chicks
Angel
Quilted Christmas Stocking
Latest Quilt
Shelter from the storm
A new life
Who's Online
0 Registered (), 157 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Stats
3239 Members
63 Forums
16332 Topics
210704 Posts

Max Online: 409 @ 01/17/20 03:33 AM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#217312 - 06/04/12 09:12 PM Reading "Tuesdays with Morrie".
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
Wow........hard to put down. A fast read and a lifetime of lessons to be learned I'm already gathering.

Looks like I'm gonna like this book!

#217313 - 06/04/12 09:15 PM Re: Reading "Tuesdays with Morrie". [Re: Di]
Mountain Ash Offline

I enjoyed the book too..there is a film too.

#217314 - 06/04/12 10:00 PM Re: Reading "Tuesdays with Morrie". [Re: Mountain Ash]
Eagle Heart Offline

Loc: Canada
I have that book sitting on my book shelf, and fully intend to read it, but haven't been able to yet. Still healing, and can't get that close to another dying person quite yet...can't read "One More Day" either...soon though.

(Maya Angelou)

#217315 - 06/04/12 10:37 PM Re: Reading "Tuesdays with Morrie". [Re: Eagle Heart]
Di Offline

Loc: NM, transplant from NJ
A movie, really? That's be hard to watch I imagine.

#217318 - 06/05/12 02:01 AM Re: Reading "Tuesdays with Morrie". [Re: Di]
Anne Holmes Administrator Offline
Boomer in Chief

Loc: Illinois
That's a book I've always intended to read. Glad you are enjoying it, Di.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#217325 - 06/05/12 11:07 PM Re: Reading "Tuesdays with Morrie". [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

Loc: New York State
If it's sad,don't think I could do it. Totally enjoying
"Drums of Autumn"; almost done with it, on page 800 and something. Fun read!

#217336 - 06/09/12 09:57 PM Re: Reading "Tuesdays with Morrie". [Re: jabber]
Boomer in Chief

Hi Jabber,

I didn't know anything about "Drums of Autumn," but did a quick check on Amazon. Found this review which indicates it's a Diana Gabaldon book, part of her "Outlander" series:

Quote:
The fourth in the Outlander series, Drums of Autumn begins in Charleston in 1767 where Claire, Jamie, Fergus and Ian begin a journey to find Jamie's Aunt Jocasta who owns a plantation in North Carolina. As with the previous three novels in this series, Diana Gabaldon weaves stories within stories creating a rich tale of adventure, suspense and love.

In Drums of Autumn Brianna, Jamie and Claire's daughter travels back in time to find her parents to warn them of disaster in their future. Brianna found a story in an old newspaper telling of the death of Jamie and Claire Fraser in a house fire. Roger Wakefield, Brianna's sometime boyfriend, also found the story. Roger decided not to tell Brianna for fear she would attempt to go back in time to warn her parents. When Roger learns that Brianna has done exactly that, he follows her through the stones back to 18th century Scotland. Brianna finds her way to Lollybrach and meets Jenny, Jamie's sister, and Ian and all the children. This is a wonderful part of the book where the reader can appreciate and feel the amazing connection between past and future, gave me the chills just reading it.

Roger eventually catches up with Brianna in the colonies after Roger's most arduous ocean crossing. I do agree with several of the other reviewers who feel that Brianna's character is a bit weak. I haven't caught on to, or much liked, Brianna at all since the first introduction of her character. Brianna does not have the depth or heart that Claire has and comes off as a self-centered child in many ways.

Brianna and Roger each have their own separate adventures and each is intertwined with Jamie and Claire's. Lord John Grey appears again to play an integral role in Brianna's life. The character of Lord Grey is one of my favorites as he is a man of honor.

In Drums of Autumn Jamie is not the ferocious warrior, nor the persecuted prisoner; he's a farmer and a builder. Although it was a relief of sorts not to endure any floggings or near-death misadventures, it seemed as though Jamie was out of his element having been removed from Scotland. Nonetheless, this book was everything the previous books were in it's own way. Diana Gabaldon has succeeded in continuing the `love that spans time' between Jamie and Claire and has added more depth to their relationship.

This series is one of the best I have read. I was overjoyed to discover the 5th in the series, The Fiery Cross, has already been released already so I won't have to wait to continue this engrossing saga.

So: Historical fiction with the twist of time travel. Sounds fascinating to me!

Do you agree with what this reviewer has said? And how long has it taken you to get to the 4th book in this series? They sound like big books with loads of detail...
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

#217337 - 06/09/12 11:50 PM Re: Reading "Tuesdays with Morrie". [Re: Anne Holmes]
jabber Offline

They're huge. Drums of Autumn is 1010 pages. I'm about at page 980 something. Voyager was over 900 pages, I think. Can't remember how big Dragon Fly in Amber is, but the Outlander is over 600 pages. Been at it since last September. And there's many, many more to go, I'm told. This author is fascinating.
She goes from one crazy episode to the next and they're always
some huge disaster. I agree with the statement, "It's 1 of the best I've ever read." It's awesome! Think I'll miss it when I'm done!

#217338 - 06/09/12 11:51 PM Re: Reading "Tuesdays with Morrie". [Re: jabber]
jabber Offline

I still want to read, "The Help" and "Killing Lincoln"!

#217340 - 06/11/12 05:07 PM Re: Reading "Tuesdays with Morrie". [Re: jabber]
Boomer in Chief

So many books, so little time! That's my mantra these days. I guess I need to upload a whole bunch of good reads to my iPad and then take a nice long summer vacation! LOL! As if that is going to happen.

Anyway, I agree, I'd like to read "The Help" and "Killing Lincoln," too. Both have had a lot of people talking. Though the word on O'Reilly's book is that it is more of a historical fiction that fact.

As for "The Help," do those of you who've read it think the movie does it justice? If so, watching the movie would certainly be a lot faster than reading it. Though probably not as satisfying.
www.boomerlifestyle.com
www.boomerco.com

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

NABBW.com | Forum Testimonials | Newsletter Sign Up | View Our Newsletter | Advertise With Us
About the Founder | Media Room | Contact BWS
Resources for Women | Boomer Books | Recent Reads | Boomer Links | Our Voices | Home

Boomer Women Speak
9672 W US Highway 20, Galena, IL 61036 • info@boomerwomenspeak.com • 1-877-BOOMERZ

Boomer Women Speak cannot be held accountable for any personal relationships or meetings face-to-face that develop because of interaction with the forums. In addition, we cannot be held accountable for any information posted in Boomer Women Speak forums.

Boomer Women Speak does not represent or endorse the reliability of any information or offers in connection with advertisements,
articles or other information displayed on our site. Please do your own due diligence when viewing our information.

Privacy PolicyTerms of UseDisclaimer

Copyright 2002-2019 • Boomer Women SpeakBoomerCo Inc. • All rights reserved